Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Holiday Dress Dilemma

The Shirt

Practically Family
So opinions wanted here. Every year my company throws a lovely holiday party in early December. The lovely ladies outfits I work with range from dressy casual for a few to all out formal for others (interior designers so some fabulous taste shown but somewhat competitive). Now I love love love buying a new dress for these affairs and generally get some vintage coctail dress. The problem is I wear it once and it breaks the bank a bit. Does anyone else deal with this? I thought perhaps I could re-style something I wore a number of years ago, or cover the top with a vintage sweater and act as if it's a skirt. I don't want to destroy anything because I have much love for these past dresses. How do you deal with the reoccurring event? I even think about exchanging formal wear with my friends but they don't have the same taste as me.:p

The pictures tend to be brought out again and again and I would hate to show up in the same outfit year after year. Yes - I'm competitive/vain too, one of my lovely flaws.:D

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fancy jacket?

If you had some sort of fancy jacket you could wear over one of the previous dresses, that would be cool. Then if you got too warm dancing or whatever, you could remove it easily.
I am a big fan of this method as I never know how cold the spot they put the piano in is going to be (usually arctic, neither good for the piano or the pianist!) and when I am sitting still for two or three hours playing, it can get miserable.
Plus, with a fancy jacket, you could maybe wear it sometimes with a long dress under it and others with a street length skirt and have a cocktail suit.
Something with sequins?

texasgirl

One Too Many
Do you have some pictures of your previous dresses? Then we could take a look and make some suggestions. I usually get a new one each year, but try to find something on sale for about $50.

The Shirt

Practically Family
Holiday2006061.jpg

Here is one from last year (Sorry for the huge pic)- I will have to pull out a few and take pics for your suggestions. I do like the jacket idea - I might actually get some other wear out of that. I have quite a few beaded 50's cardigans as well.

Paisley - that is very cute - there ARE fantastic things out there, I just have to look harder to keep my budget in check.

Barbigirl

Practically Family
trades?

I wear about a size 8 and I have a several wiggle dresses and some contemporary cocktail dresses but one I post them on my blog I am thinking will I wear them again? I don't want to get rid of them but I hate for them to hang indefinately. i have thought about selling them consignment but I really dig my stuff.

Does anyone want to try for some trades if we can match up similiar sizes?

Obviously there would be a big trust factor involved....

Novella

Practically Family
Paisley said:
Go to Ross or a thrift store. I found a great cocktail dress at Ross a few years ago for $9.

I've had amazing luck at Ross when it comes to finding dresses. I found the cutest little black dress there a week or two ago. Super nice quality for $30. Now I just need a place to wear it! The other dresses I've found there have been about $10 each. Only downside to stores like that, is that they're kind of luck of the draw.

Miss_Bella_Hell

Well, can you wear the dresses you buy at times other than the holiday party? Other cocktail/formal events? Then it's not a waste. If you can't, you might try to purchase things that you can wear over again.

Miss 1929

I adore Ross!

Novella said:
I've had amazing luck at Ross when it comes to finding dresses. I found the cutest little black dress there a week or two ago. Super nice quality for $30. Now I just need a place to wear it! The other dresses I've found there have been about $10 each. Only downside to stores like that, is that they're kind of luck of the draw.

I have a few dresses from Ross that pass for vintage - like this one...

l_893d7bf4e8aa5b7a2b01c462abce28ea.jpg

Actually two of the same dress - it was uneven hemline and I added the shirt of one to the other. Used the spiral ruffle up the side to make flutter sleeves with a drape in the back. Sorry about the blurry picture,my camera was dying.
Each dress was $12.00!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
My husband's previous company used to hold black tie Christmas parties every year. I would buy a gown from ebay, then put it right back up on ebay the day after the event. I never spent more than $20, always got nice gowns and usually made my money back if I remembered to list it while still during the holiday season. Granted, this were modern looking evening gowns, not vintage. I don't think I'd have to heart to sell a vintage gown.

ShortClara

One Too Many
texasgirl said:
Do you have some pictures of your previous dresses? Then we could take a look and make some suggestions. I usually get a new one each year, but try to find something on sale for about $50.

Yes, you can definitely get something amazing for $50 is you start your search now (done!) and are ready to pounce when you see it! I got an amazing poly satin and beading 20s style dress for $20 at Ross one year, and a couple of weeks ago found a gold 60s tulip dress and a 40s satin cheongsam on the same lucky day at thrift. Happy hunting!

Miss_Bella_Hell

Barbigirl said:
I wear about a size 8 and I have a several wiggle dresses and some contemporary cocktail dresses but one I post them on my blog I am thinking will I wear them again? I don't want to get rid of them but I hate for them to hang indefinately. i have thought about selling them consignment but I really dig my stuff.

Does anyone want to try for some trades if we can match up similiar sizes?

Obviously there would be a big trust factor involved....

I think this is a great idea btw...fun!

The Shirt

Practically Family
I checked and I am in a Ross-free zone. I think that I should get a bit more savvy and see if I should sell the ones I no longer would wear on ebay. I like the exchange idea too - but I have a feeling mine might be a bit big for you all.;) I counted them up and have 8 nice formal dresses just sitting around begging to be worn.

It seems like the holiday party is really the only dressy event I have for the year - I suppose I need to prod the fella into taking me to more swanky places so I can get all dolled up. I always say it's better to be over-dressed than underdressed.

Thanks for the ideas ladies. Excuse the hair in the posting - it was after hours of robot dancing and karoake and a few too many martinis.

BegintheBeguine

Vintage is better anyway. That red dress in the picture is beautiful. Do please let us know when you are going to sell or if the exchange deal is viable, I have formals I've never worn, and I am in dire need of more formals and cocktail dresses as I go out at least once a week.
Ashley

The Shirt

Practically Family
So I finally took a night and pulled out the dress options for some opinions. These are the ones that still fit (even just barely sometimes). I've worn the red and the black one the past 2 years. What do you ladies think? Please excuse the hair and the lovely stiff pose. I am simply not photogenic. Sigh - my next life! Personally I think I might go for the pink one or the purple floral.
If so I would also love opinion on whether updo or accessories you'd go with.

DSC00854.jpg

DSC00852.jpg

DSC00851.jpg

DSC00846.jpg

DSC00855.jpg

DSC00856.jpg

texasgirl

One Too Many
Oh, such lovely dresses! I love the pink one and the green one! I don't think you need a lot of accessories with such dynamite dresses- maybe a flower in your hair and some peep toe shoes!

deelovely

Practically Family
All of your dresses are absolutely gorgeous!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap I love the black and the red ones especially! Wish I had a beautiful dress to wear and somewhere to wear it...:( About the only thing for me is my company holiday party and most don't really even dress up very much for that. Of course, I could always be different!;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda