Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Mall

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
I got dragged to The Mall with my wife and kids last night. It seems that we need new clothes for school. What a mess. First we went to NY & Co. Crap, I say, all crap. The clothes people were wearing around was all junk that f looked like it was falling apart. Where is the "Class" these days. All the girls that I saw were wearing something that looked like it should only be worn on their Honeymoon. Some kind of camisole, satiny, thing. We looked like outsiders, or Penticostals or something. What a mess...

Zach R.

Practically Family
Speaking of the mall, I went yesterday in a pair of cream trousers, brown saddle shoes, and a button-down shirt and tie and was asked no less than five times in four different stores by people wondering if I worked there and could help them. :p

ADGENTNC

New in Town
Yeah, you're only a minutes from MB, I envy you, a stone's throw from Brooks Brothers...

regards,
AD

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
The Brooks Brothers outlet there isn't great, but it's better than most of the stores around here. Their bowties are nice. I have three of them.

Zach R.

Practically Family
Sorry for taking over your rant thread, BB.

It only takes twenty more minutes than it takes me from where you are. :p

To tell you the truth, I like shopping in Wilmington a heck of a lot better than MB. You don't have to wade through thousands of miniature golf courses and acres of oogling tourists. Colonial mall kinda sucks compared to Westfield.

BTW, what are your sources for vintage apparel in Wilmington? I've looked everywhere.

Usually I find that the outlet stores are anything but, they are marked up as much as the regular store, but I've never been the the BB one. Which outlet center is it in? The one in Conway or NMB?

Phil_in_CS

Familiar Face
sideways ball caps

see Gene Kelly in An American in Paris

I've pointed out to a couple kids that they're just copying a 50 year old fashion.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"When I was at the mall I noticed all the boys from about 12 to 22 all wearing the standard sideways bill ball cap, but with a new twist. The caps were opened up to the largest size and pulled down well over the years, and they were worn sideways, oh and the tags were still on the caps."
Whenever I see this I always make the same comment :"I guess that cap didn't come with an instruction manual!"
flat-top

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I thought the baggy, pants-falling-off trend was finally out. My goodness, it was popular when I was in high school. It looked stupid then too--I can't believe the look has hung around this long with new recruits every season.

However, lately I've noticed a lot of high school students sporting 60s mod looks and 80s punk looks, with pegged pants, super tight (fake) vintage tees and these awful, shaggy mod hairstyles. I'm not sure what's worse, because at least these guys know where there waist is and that must count for something.

And Biltmore Bob--I can usually find lots of good stuff at New York and Co. Not so much in the summer perhaps, but they have a great line of 40s-style slacks that are released every fall, and last spring I picked up a great 1930s-style capelet top that looks straight out of a vintage fashion magazine. Thank goodness your daughter didn’t take you to Charlotte Russe—now that store is scary!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I know what you mean! I was trying to find a pair of those shoes from India that are fashionable now to go with a regency costume I am making. It took me FOREVER to find a pair, and while there my roomate was looking for something to wear to her trip to Italy this summer. She is going to meet the Pope, and going to different churches, so she needs something appropriate to wear in a decent price range. We were absolutely appalled at the things we saw, not only in the stores, but on the people shopping! WHEN IS THIS MINI SKIRT THING GOING TO END??? And the belly shirts! Here the guys are starting to dress better than the women, and that's what they are dressing like! 14 year old girls dressing like hussies. Now, I like fashion, I am a fashion school graduate, but for the most part fashion here sucks. For good women's fashion, check out Anthropologie , but the prices are very expensive. I am happy that the 50's skirts are continuing, and this winter I predict that 30's will be all the rage for eveningwear, but someone please tell the subcultures that they dress abominably. And someone needs to inform the girls that just because they can squeeze into a size small or 2 doesn't mean it fits them. There is a reason that there are different sizes. UGH! Enough said.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
A little history...

While on the job I have to put up with the "thug" look constantly. Let's face it, I work with cons. However, it's actually been passed through the ranks, that the falling/ crack pants were a universal sign in prison that "services" were being offered by the wearer.

After I discipline them for not wearing uniforms properly, I also mention this fact and wait for the shocked look. Especially since it's usually a scrawny thug that's trying to be someone. What a joke...

Great images for kids to try to copy!!

Brody

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
When I was a Policeman in the 80's and 90s, I used to buy cheap little pad locks at the dollar store. Keep them open and throw away the key. I would inform the little saggers that they were in violation of modesy and general laws of nature. At that point I would take up the slack their britches and lock belt loops together, then leave. Never recieved a complaint for that one, surprisingly.

Biltmore Bob said:
they were in violation of modesy and general laws of nature. At that point I would take up the slack their britches and lock belt loops together, then leave. Never recieved a complaint for that one, surprisingly.

Hahhahahahahah! That is perfect. I can just imagine them coming home and looking for the bolt cutters but not before their parents see them. :p
That was a good idea. I wonder where I can get some cheap locks. :p

Regards to all,

J

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Haha, in a few years Bob, we'll probably be seeing pad locks hooked through the belt loops to be all the trend...only thing will be that they will be buying even bigger sized pants and hooking the padlock when the pants are around their hips.

jitterbugdoll said:
And Biltmore Bob--I can usually find lots of good stuff at New York and Co. Not so much in the summer perhaps, but they have a great line of 40s-style slacks that are released every fall, and last spring I picked up a great 1930s-style capelet top that looks straight out of a vintage fashion magazine. Thank goodness your daughter didn’t take you to Charlotte Russe—now that store is scary!
Please share over in the Powder Room later this fall if you see good finds there. I used to buy their jeans back when they were called Lerner, as they have boot cut ones that sit at the waist (most boot cuts sit below the waist).

sandysot

New in Town
There's a new heirarchy amongst ball cap wearers just now.Our grandson stopped by on his way back to college.I offered him the old ballcaps from the closet and he rejected them all.He explained that the "in" college fraternity crowd doesnt wear mesh-back or buckle back ballcaps anymore.Now they are into closed back ballcaps because they dont create ponytail hair out the back of the cap.This from a kid who pays $25.00 to a hair person to deliberately create a "just out of bed" look to his hair.

Will wonders never cease!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot