Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Mindset Lists

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
I'm guilty as charged for being an adult who doesn't use cursive. I've always disliked my cursive handwriting, no matter how much I practiced I could never get it to look 'right' or 'pretty'. And then entering college in 1990, printed computer papers were de rigueur and emails replaced handwritten letters and cards so I didn't have much use for it. My handwriting kind of morphed into its own blend of some print letters, some connected letters. But at the same time, I'm sad that cursive is dying in schools. Hypocritical, I know.

ETA: I remember being a child and pretending to write cursive, and being so excited when I got to 3rd grade and started learning it. It was seen as one of the progressive steps to growing up. Wow, I can read and write cursive, look at me, all adult and stuff. ;) What do kids have now to replace that thrill of being old enough to do something? In the grade school years, that is.

Last edited:

fashion frank

One Too Many
What do kids have now to replace that thrill of being old enough to do something? In the grade school years, that is.

I had to laugh when you added the "in the grade school years, that is' !

I just for the life of me can't get over the fact that it is not taught anymore as Stray Cat pointed out , how do they sign their name on say a check for example.

It's amazing how the "future" has replaced something like that because of a computer and not having to write anything down anymore.
Computers killed handwriting ,cell phones have killed telephone booths ,velcro sneakers have killed tying your shoes, emails have killed the U.S.P.S and the list goes on ,somehow we as a people are moving forward , go figure ???

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
I had to laugh when you added the "in the grade school years, that is' !

Well, there's plenty of growing up milestones that are met in the teenage years....wearing makeup for the first time, first date, getting driver's license, registering to vote....but learning cursive was sort of the 'first' big milestone for a child. At least it was when I was growing up. I wanted to differentiate between the early chilldhood years, and the teenage years.

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just for the life of me can't get over the fact that it is not taught anymore as Stray Cat pointed out , how do they sign their name on say a check for example.
Checks too, are obsolete in Modern Days. [huh]
I fear we're getting back in time, when people were signing their names with a thumb-print. That IS where we are heading, no?
Sounds both silly and sad: so many people dedicated their lives to "bring the writing to the children" - remember the Missionaries who traveled across half the World so that the children could receive a chance to learn to read and write? Somehow, I feel we are letting all them down if we just give up on the written word..
([size=-2]I'm getting sentimental here[/size]) :D

I'm guilty as charged for being an adult who doesn't use cursive. I've always disliked my cursive handwriting, no matter how much I practiced I could never get it to look 'right' or 'pretty'. And then entering college in 1990, printed computer papers were de rigueur and emails replaced handwritten letters and cards so I didn't have much use for it. My handwriting kind of morphed into its own blend of some print letters, some connected letters.
No one "doesn't know" to write cursive.. there are just people who practice, and those who DON'T. :D

Call me Don Quijote! lol

Do you remember when you would try to avoid getting the long distance call charge and the line we used to use went something like this " call us when you get there ,but just let it ring once and then hang up and we'll know it was you and that you got home safely " , crap nowadays you get a text message ( which I refuse to read or send, I don't do text :) )

All the Best ,Fashion Frank
This reminds me of an old joke that went something like this: A mother and father are waiting at home for news of their daughter's first child. Their daughter and her husband live in another state, so the two couples concocted a special code to avoid having to pay the long distance phone call charges. Finally their telephone rang, and when the father answered it the operator at the other end asked, "Will you accept a long-distance call from Mr. Hadthebabyitsaboy?" :D

I'm guilty as charged for being an adult who doesn't use cursive. I've always disliked my cursive handwriting, no matter how much I practiced I could never get it to look 'right' or 'pretty'...
The same goes for me. I taught myself to write using cursive before I entered Kindergarten and, as is common with self-taught abilities, incurred some "bad habits" that I never bothered to overcome. I can write cursive, but my printing is much more legible so I reserve cursive for my signature.

...I just for the life of me can't get over the fact that it is not taught anymore as Stray Cat pointed out , how do they sign their name on say a check for example...
Eventually we'll return to the days of the uneducated when the phrase "make your mark" was commonplace. That's progress for you! lol

To me, signing one's name must be done in cursive.
I've seen documents belonging to people who's signature is written in print letters. And I kept wondering: could it be that he's illiterate?! (Old-fashioned me.. thinking that if you can't write cursive, you can't write AT ALL) :doh: Since, when I was a kid writing in print meant you left school before you could pick up more than just print lettering. [huh]
..times did change Mr. Touchofevil, did they not? For teachers, too?

Times have definitely changed since I began teaching twenty years ago. Not only is our clientele different so is our job description. A lot of this change is due to the popularity of ghetto culture and the t-ball mindset (everyone gets a hit, scores are not kept, and no one loses).
:D

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I just got back from my family doctor. It's true, they can't write. He filled out a medical form for me. I wonder if the recipient will be able to read a single letter of it...

I just got back from my family doctor. It's true, they can't write. He filled out a medical form for me. I wonder if the recipient will be able to read a single letter of it...
I sometimes wonder if people in the medical profession have their own version of shorthand, but they don't tell anyone about it.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Boy, I remember when my sister and I had to take two tin buckets a piece and walk 1 mile down hill to the water pump, fill both buckets each and then come back without spilling a drop. And these danged kids don't even appreciate a "drop in a bucket"! Heck, they probably think "buckets" are just some kinda fancy racin' bench in their hot-rod Duesenbergs! :rolleyes:

All I know is that every generation of Americans since the 20th century has:

1. Faced some foreign boogeyman - and actually believed the propaganda
2. Thinks they had it harder than the new guy
3. Come to accept that the US will be perpetually involved in one "justified" holy crusade after another
4. Had to accept that they aren't the "Have's", and privately admitted they're wealthier than the "Have Not's" (buy maybe not by much!)
5. Bought the notion that America is somehow at the center of world history since at least WWII
7... [huh]

Carbon paper? Cursive writing? Typewriters? Of course kids don't know about these things. I don't know a damn thing about smart phones, and I don't care if I die without learning how to use one; that's not much different.

If a kid is interested in history, they will learn about all of these things, and more. Let's just HOPE we have more kids interested in history!

tuppence

Practically Family

Your doctor is very old-fashioned, mine prints everything out.

Sadly, when I was in High School, they offered 'Computer' as an optional class. I decided not to do them, because I thought they wouldn't last.

tuppence

Practically Family
I received a Thank You note from an older couple after I helped them when they had become locked out of their house. I had to get my Mother to help me read it. She told me, that style of writing changed when she was 16, around 1956, and when she went back to school , everybody still at school at to re-learn how to write. I think the older style of writing is very attractive as long as you are a neat writer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk