Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Nazi Gold Train

Peacoat

Bartender
No, but it's worth a bunch to the son/grandson. The article doesn't mention whether the hunting guns were found, and they seemed to be important to the father.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Following article is a good summary of the hunt for hidden Nazi treasure in Poland so far. I read it just to confirm that we at the FL haven’t overlooked anything. Nope. This thread has pretty much been on top of events every step of the way. In fact, I think we even discussed some smaller offshoots that he doesn’t mention. Note: this article also has maps and a few photos that I haven’t seen before.
The search goes on!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...rney-Europe-uncover-Hitlers-lost-bullion.html

Peacoat

Bartender
The Following article is a good summary of the hunt for hidden Nazi treasure in Poland so far. I read it just to confirm that we at the FL haven’t overlooked anything. Nope. This thread has pretty much been on top of events every step of the way. In fact, I think we even discussed some smaller offshoots that he doesn’t mention. Note: this article also has maps and a few photos that I haven’t seen before.
The search goes on!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...rney-Europe-uncover-Hitlers-lost-bullion.html
So, there hasn't been any advancement, as indicated in this link?

Tiki Tom

So, there hasn't been any advancement, as indicated in this link?

No. Nothing new.
It is a strange business. It is entirely reasonable to think that German forces retreating westward at the end of the war had a lot of loot with them that had to be abandoned as they were overrun by the soviets. Then again, there is nothing solid to go on, and apparently there are a lot of false stories and pipe dreams. There are a lot of whispered rumors. You know what they say: Those who know don’t tell; and those who tell don’t know. ;)

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
No. Nothing new.
It is a strange business. ... There are a lot of whispered rumors.

I'm a fan of American CBS '60 MINUTES' and once saw an episode regarding a Swiss lake or pond rumoured
to have had fleeing Nazi SS gold bullion splashed in war's closing days. Scot Pelley I believe ran this down and narrated. Seemed plausible, but I forgot all this until I happened to chance across a Nostradamus quatrain concerning gold dropped in a lake or some such writ. This puzzle piece seemed to match.

Years ago back in the Army during NATO exercise, a private under me was really in to Nazi loot. Lad always had a tale
to tell and in Germany went scrounging around for loot some Americans had lifted off dead Whermacht, supposedly
buried but never retrieved. I'd presumed the Yanks had bought it. A tale well told yet a thread dangled. How, what, and
why any of this found daylight sun eluded my reason. Private Wilcox was something of a character stll, a straight shooter, not the type to embellish. I recalled Wilcox while in New York on business when I grabbed a New York Times and sat inside a MickeyD's reading a book review about a group of American GIs whom had liberated diamonds and gold off dead Whermacht, secreted this but never recovered and still missing.

p51

One Too Many
Some of those stories are true. For example, counterfeit bills printed by the Germans, confirmed found in the Toplitzsee in Austria. There supposedly is a layer of logs submerged about halfway down into that very deep lake, and those who have tried to SCUBA dive it have called it very difficult, if not impossible to gain access to see what else is down there.
Probably for the best, as Naval explosives were tested there by the Germans before things went bad.

Tiki Tom

Slightly off topic. (Sorry)
This, I hope, was a misguided attempt to be funny. But I don’t think it worked.
Germany opened its own “space command” building. At the opening, they decided to go full Darth Vader and storm troopers. Probably not the best look for modern Germany. Go to minute 1:30.

And I must point out that I’m a great friend of modern Germany and all that it has achieved. But this struck me as fairly tin-eared.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Slightly off topic. (Sorry)
This, I hope, was a misguided attempt to be funny. But I don’t think it worked.
Germany opened its own “space command” building. At the opening, they decided to go full Darth Vader and storm troopers. Probably not the best look for modern Germany. Go to minute 1:30.

And I must point out that I’m a great friend of modern Germany and all that it has achieved. But this struck me as fairly tin-eared.

Hollywood only goes so far.

Turnip

Seriousness of German armed forces and timeline since their restitution after the war is an inversely proportional function.

Last edited:

Tiki Tom

Still on the trail of Nazi gold.

On the one hand, this story is “news” to exactly no one.
On the other hand it’s eyebrow raising that 99 Credit Suisse accounts Belonging to high ranking Nazi officials were recently documented; most of them newly discovered. Even more disturbing is that some of those accounts were active as late as 2002.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/04/19/credit-suisse-nazi-gold-bank/

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
This also racks my mind. Soldiers find or steal and secrete, map locus. I know the Russians prized commodes
and ripped those out, undoubtedly found gold and jewels for the taking. Viking buried gold et al was quite recently
unearthed here at a coastal scene by way of a hand held metal detector. The Exchequer hogged issue confiscate
of course so how much profit resulted is anybody's guesstimate.

@Tiki Tom
See, I 'm laughing my butt off again, especially, when the Amber Room is mentioned.

Let me tell you the real story of the Amber Room, in the short version, if you don't already know it.

The leftover Amber Room "pieces" were transported, transported and transported again from the East to the West. They indeed travelled through Weimar, but after that, they were "scattered to the four winds" in the western area of german territory in the chaos of the last days of war. Leftover parts from the countless transports were seemingly burned, so no one could ever find a nearly complete Amber Room.

All, what's still existing, are just single pieces, like the small commode and the mosaik and countless stolen small bits in Kalinigrad and surely Germany.

And that's the funny thing for me as a hobbyphotographer guy, who was long years in this "hobbyscene". The whole Ohrdruf/Thruringia (and Amber Room) topic is practically dead since the beginning of the 2000s!

And all the Jonastal/Amber Room charlatanry of the last 30 years, was accidently kick-started by BORIS JELZIN, who made the stupid remark, that "he knows, where the Amber Room is hidden" (Jonastal).

With this stupid remark, the bomb was fired and the Jonastal AND the Military Training Area Ohrdruf between Crawinkel and Arnstadt became THE MAGIC PLACE for every new generation. And we old farts can only smile about it.

Luckily, the Amber Room story itself is over since we got the brandnew. :)

But sadly, some day, some young folks may die in the life-endangering Jonastal tunnels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21