Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The New National Museum of the Marine Corps

Nashoba

One Too Many
I have the pleasure of visiting my husband in Virginia for a week while he's doing some training before he leaves for Iraq. Since he had today off (veterans day holiday) we decided to drive up to Quantico to visit the new National Museum of the Marine Corps which opened officially to the public today. If anyone is visiting the area or lives nearby I highly reccommend that you visit the museum. They have done an incredible job at capturing the essence of the Corps and their exhibits are beautifully laid out. They have several interactive exhibits that are really well done as well as ongoing lectures from Marines from WWII to present day telling their stories in the very exhibits that portray those events. It is a truly educational experience if you don't know a whole lot about the Marines. If you are a Marine or a part of the Marine Corps Family, it will definately solidify and re-invigorate your pride in the Corps. From "experiencing" a DI at boot camp to seeing the flag raised at Iwo Jima the museum is really beautifully done. There were some parts I had a difficult time with as a wife but we really enjoyed it. Of course I had the added "benefit" of having my husband spout trivia facts about practically everything as we went through :)rolleyes:
We got there at about 9:30a and left around 2:30; we saw everything and even ate lunch at the mess hall so it's definately doable in one day. It's a great experience and if you get the chance to see it, you definately should!

Nashoba

Pina Bridgette

One of the Regulars
Nashoba,

We finally visited last weekend and it was really impressive. I would like to join you in encouraging others to visit and also share some of the pictures I took:

Library-1606.jpg

Library-1607.jpg

Library-1617-1.jpg

Library-1618.jpg

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
When returning my Marine son to his duty station in Norfolk, Virginia, earlier this year, our family took the time to stop and tour this museum. This is, without a doubt, one of the most nicely done museums I've ever visited. To hear first-hand accounts of the Battle of Iwo Jima from an USMC Vetran museum volunteer while surrounded by Iwo's sights and sounds was almost worth the visit alone. I would highly recommend a visit to anyone passing Quantico, Virginia- it was certainly a museum vist that I'll never forget.

Semper Fi!

Emer

One of the Regulars
I'm so jealous! Looks beautiful! We're suckers for anything dealing with Marine Corps history and I love anything referencing WWII.

TraditionalFrog

One of the Regulars
Definitely on my list if I am ever in the Quantico area!

My father and I try to make an annual pilgrimage to the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB (although as of late it is every other year). He was in the Air Force for a time.

In addition to the USMC Museum, I also reccommed the USAF museum to anyone visiting or travelling through the Dayton, OH area.

I have also visited the USS Nautilus Museum in Groton, CT. Not reccommended for people with claustrophobia though!

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nashoba,

I'm curious - was there any display or mention of the Guadalcanal 'George Medal'
created and issued by the 1st Division Marines on Guadalcanal in '42?

4efab1ef.jpg

I hope there was. If not I need to write them and tell them to get on it! That's Marine history!

-dixon cannon

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Very cool thread! I had to show this to my husband, his grandfather was with the 2nd Marines on Tarawa, and his father retired as a Lt. Col. My husband was kept out by a medical condition but he collects WWII USMC items and uniforms, so we both found this very interesting. Thanks for the photos and museum recap!

Story

I'll Lock Up
RETURN TO TARAWA

Almost seven decades after one of the deadliest battles in the Pacific theater, Leon Cooper, an 89-year-old veteran of World War II, returned to the small Pacific island of Tarawa, where he fought against Japanese soldiers, with a new mission: to clean up the historic site by collecting tons of garbage and rescuing military debris there.

1leon.jpg

http://www.voanews.com/english/AmericanLife/2009-05-22-voa31.cfm

Steven C. Barber's new documentary, Return to Tarawa, follows Cooper to meetings with local officials and experts to get help with the cleanup operation.

http://90daywonder.net/returntotarawa/

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
In the next couple of years my group is looking to be donating a Marine Ambulance Jeep to this Museum to round out the vehicles. There are only 5 known jeeps of this type in the US, and we got ours by accident. Its in restoration now.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
MC Museum

GREAT military museum done by the military the right way. TERRIFIC dioramas all thru the museum. The Iwo Jima simulated landing is really cool! Solid Citizen :D

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
I've got to stop...

...somtime. I'm always going past it on my way to Fort Fumble. I remember when they were building it, I'd see it from I-95 and say: "what the hell is that?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24