Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

One Too Many
the greatest comment

No podía recordar, cuando escuchó los comentarios buenos, porque siempre he estado alrededor de los hombres y las mujeres positivas, no como una persona loca, borrachos o niños delincuence, y desde allí, se oyen todos los tiempos y la familia me comentarios agradables.: Eusa_clap: eusa_clap

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I was in an old menswear store that I try to frequent, and the owner noted he liked my hat. He is an elderly gentleman, and seemed pleased that a younger man such as myself still appreciates hats. He moves into the back of the store, and comes back a moment later with a cloth stingy brimmed summer hat from Bee's Hats, and says I can have it. Not the greatest hat, but still a very, very kind gesture of him to give it to me for free. It'll be a yard work hat for me, or for travel. It balances out the insults some hecklers (kids) were shouting out to me earlier, about my oxblood Dobbs.

Cheers,
flute

Big_e

Practically Family
That is true, you are judged by the company you keep. If you are around good people who support you and you care for each other, then you will always have good comments about the way you dress and you will also support your friends too.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Ernest

150719541 said:
No podía recordar, cuando escuchó los comentarios buenos, porque siempre he estado alrededor de los hombres y las mujeres positivas, no como una persona loca, borrachos o niños delincuence, y desde allí, se oyen todos los tiempos y la familia me comentarios agradables.: Eusa_clap: eusa_clap

Big_e

Practically Family
I wore my Boater around today as it's gonna be my summer hat. I walked into the 7-11 and as I was paying, the cashier looked up and said he loved my hat. As I walk around town and go to the bookstore, I'm getting lots of attention and looks from the ladies. I don't get THIS much attention from the opposite sex and it sure feels good!:)
Ernest

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Now that's when you know a hat's workin' for you. I got a nice compliment on my Federation IV today from my aunt, my family went over to her house for an Easter party with all of the cousins and relatives. A couple of my cousins liked it too, and think it suits me. Too bad my siblings aren't the same way about it.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Comments I've recieved in the "nice" department include...

"Nice hat!" - Strangers in various countries (Hat was a simple grey, black-banded trilby).

"Oooh, not many people use *fountain* pens anymore!!" - ticket-inspector on the tram when he saw I was writing with a fountain pen in one of my notebooks.

"Nice handwriting!" - An older gentleman on the tram one day, again, when I was using my fountain pens.

"Hey is that a pocket-watch? Cool!" - University guy...again, on the tram one day.

"I like your chain!" - Lady on the tram one day (the chain she was referring to was my pocket-watch chain).

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Today while attending my political science class, I had my Akubra Federation IV fedora (see my picture) as it was a rainy day (the rain had cleared up around noon), though not on my head at the time, on my desk. A lecture was going on, but at some point, he smiled and told me "I admire a man who wears a hat. I have one as well, I should have brought it in class." He's an older man, maybe in his mid to late 50s or 60s, and a former lawyer, just to give a perspective into his background. Well, after class, I went to his office to ask him a question relating to homework, and it turns out that he actually has a nice, sharp looking black fedora with a feather on the ribbon. If I remember correctly, he also has a brown one that I've seen in his office a while back. I thought that this was a really nice compliment.

Doggy Darb

New in Town
A gentleman once told me that I was as cool as Sinatra. It was flattering, but certainly exaggerated.

My aged grandmother also likened me to her father, which I take as the greatest compliment any grandson could receive. I am fortunate to still have both of my grandparents available for my own children to know. They are getting on in their years, but they recall what a proper appearance is. I am almost shamefully proud to receive any compliment from them.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I had to dress in jeans and hiking boots for a few days while my nice shoes were at the cobbler's. I got a fair bit of teasing for it, when my supervisor first saw me she said across the room "Is that a t-shirt?!" Now, to put this in context, I've gotten several good remarks on how I dress, particularly from my supervisor. Sometimes a little teasing works out as a compliment.

Big_e

Practically Family
I've been getting lots of compliments this weekend. Yesterday, a waitress at Dennys said I look sharp and snazzy. Today a young man at the diner asked my about my western boots. He said they looked "way nice". I told him that they were regular ropers and told him where I bought them. I just polished them up enough to look good.
Thanks to the influence of Fedora Lounge, me at my casual is freshly polished shoes/boots, pressed slacks, starched shirt, tie/bowtie, a sportcoat, and hat. This from a t-shirt and jeans type of guy.
Ernest

Bingles

A-List Customer
I rarely receive negative comments from people in reference to my hats... with the exception of my siblings, though I tend to out rank them at being a smart ass. When you have a quick whit.. people tend to keep the negative comments to themselves. [huh]

People of all ages will compliment my hats with a genuine smile. Maybe it's my area of the world? I have no idea.. but I appreciate it.

As a substitute teacher, I always wear a hat during my time out front of the school during bus duty. One of the other teachers wears fedoras and vintage suits as well.. and the kids (Middle School) all go nuts over my hats.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
J B said:
Today while attending my political science class, I had my Akubra Federation IV fedora (see my picture) as it was a rainy day (the rain had cleared up around noon), though not on my head at the time, on my desk. A lecture was going on, but at some point, he smiled and told me "I admire a man who wears a hat. I have one as well, I should have brought it in class." He's an older man, maybe in his mid to late 50s or 60s, and a former lawyer, just to give a perspective into his background. Well, after class, I went to his office to ask him a question relating to homework, and it turns out that he actually has a nice, sharp looking black fedora with a feather on the ribbon. If I remember correctly, he also has a brown one that I've seen in his office a while back. I thought that this was a really nice compliment.

That reminds me of a few of my professors from my college days. I remember a handful of them wore hats from time to time; the instructor of my forensic anthropology class most definitely having a vintage fedora. On occasion, I did discuss hats with them along with whatever course material was being lectured on.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
ScionPI2005 said:
That reminds me of a few of my professors from my college days. I remember a handful of them wore hats from time to time; the instructor of my forensic anthropology class most definitely having a vintage fedora. On occasion, I did discuss hats with them along with whatever course material was being lectured on.

I never really had the chance to ask my professor about his hat yet, but I did briefly say a couple of times that they were nice, and coincidentally at these times I happened to bring along one of mine. Maybe I should ask him about it near the end of the semester, I wonder what company made his brown one or his black one... They looked sort of "modern," if you know what I mean (looked to have somewhat of a taper, and the black one had a feather), but they were nice nevertheless. There's a chance that they might actually be vintage.

cptjeff

Practically Family
Nick D said:
I had to dress in jeans and hiking boots for a few days while my nice shoes were at the cobbler's. I got a fair bit of teasing for it, when my supervisor first saw me she said across the room "Is that a t-shirt?!" Now, to put this in context, I've gotten several good remarks on how I dress, particularly from my supervisor. Sometimes a little teasing works out as a compliment.

I got a similar reaction the last time I wore a hoody (which was last year). I went to a hockey game and a friend of mine didn't even realize who I was at first.

And JB, hats with feathers aren't necessarily new. They've been around for ages, and were quite common way back when. Wearing one or not is simply a matter of taste.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
cptjeff said:
I got a similar reaction the last time I wore a hoody (which was last year). I went to a hockey game and a friend of mine didn't even realize who I was at first.

And JB, hats with feathers aren't necessarily new. They've been around for ages, and were quite common way back when. Wearing one or not is simply a matter of taste.

Thanks for the clarification, I'm not saying feathers look bad, but it did remind me of some modern fedoras I've seen sold online (think of some of the Stetsons, Resistols, Dobbs, and so on). It's a nice little feature, but I wasn't aware that it was actually common in the Golden Era.

Al Niente

Familiar Face
Sunshine

I don't know. Maybe it is because the weather is nice now and the sun is out, but I have been getting a lot of compliments on my hats.

First, a young man at Toys R' Us complemented me on my grey, pre-Stetson Mallory Ten. Asked a lot of questions. A teller at the bank commented positively on it and was "glad to see" someone wearing hats. And, a young waitress told me she liked it and asked where she could find one as she really wanted one for herself. Henry the Hatter, of course, here in Detroit!

Anyway, these have been good "hat days." I can't wait to get out the new boater.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I got a complement a while ago, but I forgot to post. I went to a small Italian bakery to pick up some bread (and a Red Velvet cake I had no real intention of getting), and the man at the cash register says he likes my hat (a 50's Whippet). Before I leave, he again complements me. "Keep up the good style", he says. For me, almost all comments have so far been positive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo