Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Passing Away of John Erickson, Fellow Lounger and Friend to Many.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I've just seen this. I had 'no idea' John had died. I'm really 'shocked' by this news and 3000 miles away here on another continent I find it hard to come to terms with.

He was a 'big' man with an even bigger heart that was only matched by his 'smile.'

image.jpg
I had the honour to meet him a number of occasions and share a cold beer with him after going around vintage shops he knew under the searing SoCal sun.

He loved that wee dog of his and was forever chastising it for getting fat on the advocados that dropped off the tree by his house. Like many during these times of recession, he struggled to get work and put food on his plate, yet inspite of all that, he would welcome you into his home like a long lost friend or liked nothing better than to have friends around for his famous BBQ!

I have a lovely old vintage pen that John bestowed upon me as a gift which I will treasure. He is a man who will live on in the hearts and minds of those of us who were lucky to have met him...

image.jpg

John was of Norse descent, so it seems appropriate to now quote his rather prophetic ancient Viking quote he made merely a few weeks ago last month to his friends...

"Lo there do I see my father. Lo there do I see my mother, my sisters and my brothers. Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning. Lo they do call me, they bid me take my place among them, in the halls of Valhalla, where the brave may live forever..."

I'm sorry John, as words typed 'here' into an internet forum page seem somewhat inadequate in summing up 'you' and how you touched, albeit briefly, this Irishman who visited your part of the world a few times. But...in coming to terms with the difficult news of your leaving this world, all I can think of saying right now is...

Thankyou John (for the lovely, good man you are). Live forever in the halls of Valhalla, Brave Man.

JOHN ERIKSON 1.jpg

Last edited:
Terrible news. He was such an active participant here that I came to think he would always be around. Alas, nothing and no one will always be around.
John always impressed me as a straight-shooter, the real deal, a what-you-see-is-what-you-get kinda guy. We can never get enough of that.
You're gone way too soon, John.
Add my condolences to his family and "real world" friends.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I am so sorry to hear this. I liked him.

I practically never check this forum but I'm glad I did today.

Rest in peace, brother.

Stormy

A-List Customer
Oh no! My heart is broken. John, you were the first to welcome and befriend me here in the Lounge. As others here, I feel as if you were really my neighbor. I hate it that you left me so soon. But I love it that you taught me so much and touched my life with your goodness. I am sad that I never got to shake your hand. But I am happy that now you are in God's hands. Love you John. Goodbye dear friend.

My condolences. As one of the "Middle Generations" of FL, I do have some memory of him; he was not only a stand-up guy but welcoming to the "fresh meat" too.

Rest in peace, compadre; you are missed.

Slightly offtopic: I'm starting to think we need a Roll Call to see who from the old days is still left...

I am absolutely shocked and very sorry to hear of his passing.

He was always very active and very informative. One of many who made the Lounge a great place to visit and to learn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner