Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The rise and fall of RP on the BBC

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I thought some other Loungers might find this BBC Radio 4 program of interest, as did I.

"It is impossible for an Englishman to open his mouth without making some other Englishman hate or despise him." George Bernard Shaw.

A hundred years ago, Shaw ridiculed the British obsession with class, recognising that its most powerful expression was not in what someone said, but how he or she said it.

An imperative for anyone at public school or studying at Oxbridge, was speaking in RP, a 'non' accent which denoted all that was masterful in the British Empire.

But changes are afoot. Cheryl Cole's push from American X Factor because of her Geordie accent has exasperated many Brits, who love her AND her accent and think the Yanks are missing out.

Using a wealth of archive, we hear how the drive to hide linguistic, geographical roots often went hand in hand with a desire to be seen as part of the metropolitan set. The fear of being labelled as provincial, unfashionable or rustic would develop into "RP" -- Received Pronunciation.

With access to archives of soldiers during the First World War, Melvyn discusses the rarity of hearing different accents at the time. He points out that RP was the 'non' site-specific accent of the officer class while everyone else was identified by their regional accents.

The BBC burst on the scene with Lord Reith who insisted that RP be used for BBC broadcasting, arguing that it had greater 'clarity' and was better suited for broadcasting.

We hear about the post war levelling and the move away from RP. The popular music scene developed an accent of it's own -- John Peel went to public school, but cultivated a soft scouse accent, instinctively recognizing this as an acceptable voice in popular music -- adopting a non-standard UK accent -- with 'Jafaican' as one of the burgeoning metropolitan accents -- suggesting individual freedom.​

It's archived here for listening online for the next week.

angeljenny

A-List Customer
I would love an RP accent!

At the moment I have a sort of crazy Yorkshire x private school accent which is dreadful. If only there were still elocution lessons available.

angeljenny

A-List Customer
BBC English or the Queen's English although the Queen doesn't sound as proper or clipped as she once did.

davidraphael

Practically Family
all BBC shows are also available for download in mp3 format using radiodownloader.
They're often also available at the torrent site, radioarchive.cc

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I thought this was about the tv show "The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin" (RP!)!

I have heard that Canadian newscasters do well in the USA because their accent is hard to pin down, that is, it isn't "New England/New York/Southern/Texan/Appalacian/Mid-western/South-wester/Etc., etc.

IE, it's not considered "regional".

Think John Roberts, Morely Safer, Thalia Assouras, Peter Jennings, Arthur "Scud Stud" Kent and so on.

Also, wasn't a BBC World presenter fired a year or two back because her accent was deemed "too perfect"?

Yes, a radio presenter, but back in 2003. Too "posh":

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1445543/The-mixed-race-presenter-too-posh-for-BBC.html

Last edited:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Such an interesting, not to mention fraught, topic. I remember the sense of shock I had when David Frost came along. He was, to my knowledge, the first BBC "presenter" type to have what to my American ears sounded like a working class accent, rather than the standard BBC speech.
I must admit, also, that listening to contemporary British costume dramas of every sort also freaks me out. The contemporary Cockneyfied common British accent just seems so wrong to my ears. It seems that the letter L has become completely extinct in the UK.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner