Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Passing Away of John Erickson, Fellow Lounger and Friend to Many.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I'm very sorry to hear this. Didn't really know John, but from his posts he always came across as a very nice guy.

Best wishes to John's family and friends who have to deal with this loss!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Dug this up from a visit to Fort MacArthur during the TFL Queen Mary Annual weekend.
John, as I was reminded by a chum, had damaged his foot/ankle, but didn't complain one bit
and entered into the frivolity and joviality of the day as best he could :)
A measure of the man he was.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is such sad news. I did not know John other than from his presence in the Fedora Lounge, but felt as though he were a friend. Some people can stick you just that way. It says a lot of their character when this occurs. John's presence here will most assuredly be missed, and we will all be a little less for his loss.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

fashion frank

One Too Many
I'm somewhat of a " newbie" and will readily admit I did not know the man ,but from the reactions of fellow loungers ,he must have been one hell of a guy .

My sympathies not only to his family but to all of his friends here on the Forum .

R.I.P. , Fashion Frank

Trickeration

Practically Family
I've been so sad hearing this. John was truly one of the sweetest and kindest men I've known. I will hold dear the memories of I have of him, picnicking at Fort Mac, chatting about things like vintage Christmas music and our dogs, enjoying his company at Christmas. He will be greatly missed.

Mr Oldschool

One of the Regulars
I regret that I never got the opportunity to meet him. Sharing so many interests, I believe we would have got along famously. It is my loss to not have known him. My condolences to all of you mourning him here, and my prayers to his family.

What additional biographical information might folks here have to share about John? I believe he had once mentioned having been a shoe salesman. Beyond his affinity for the sorts of vintage stuff we here tend to favor, I can't say that I ever knew much about the good gent's day-in, day-out life -- what he did for fun, what he did for his daily bread, et cetera. I know he was active in his church, and that he lost his little dachshund not so long ago. His online personality left we thinking that he'd be the sort of person you'd want for a next-door neighbor. You know, a straight-up kinda guy.

Mr.Astor

Banned
Very Comforting, to read all of your condolences for John (wide brim)! I applaud all of you for your remembrance of a man some of you may have never met, truly commendable my hat is off too all of you for your recognition! Jamespowers,Greg Axley, Lizzie Maine most especially for stepping into the man's domain if I may! Harp I'm sure you are of my heritage! MarkG, GHT, VCBrunswickl and Edward! What a beautiful tribute to a man on a forum! I'm fairly new here, never realized the brotherhood you portrayed today!
Requiescat in Pace!

Sadly, it seems that John's life had hit a rough patch the past year or so as he had lost his job and was looking for work. I can't help but wonder if in some way the stress might have contributed to his untimely passing.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
What additional biographical information might folks here have to share about John? I believe he had once mentioned having been a shoe salesman. Beyond his affinity for the sorts of vintage stuff we here tend to favor, I can't say that I ever knew much about the good gent's day-in, day-out life -- what he did for fun, what he did for his daily bread, et cetera. I know he was active in his church, and that he lost his little dachshund not so long ago. His online personality left we thinking that he'd be the sort of person you'd want for a next-door neighbor. You know, a straight-up kinda guy.

John hailed from Long Island, NY, and moved to Southern CA around age 20 (if memory serves); he was proud of his Danish/Norwegian ancestry. I don't know what he did earlier in life, but when I met him he was working for the Lamy Pen Co. He was a long-time resident of Covina, and a long-time member of his Lutheran congregation. John was active in the Southern California Pen Club, and it was at one of their meetings that I met him; consequently, it was John who informed me of the Fedora Lounge, and for that I will always be grateful. As mentioned, he was really into fountain pens, hats, and neckties, and if you search under Fedora Lounge Queen Mary Event, you should find a few videos that John filmed onboard ship (and perhaps one with him in it). At John's memorial service, it was mentioned how much into movies John was; he had memorized what must have been hundreds of quotes from films,

Last edited:

sola fide

One of the Regulars
John seemed like a great guy. It is always sad losing a friend and a brother, but it sounds like he is in a far better place. Peace to his family and friends left behind.
Mike A

swinggal

One Too Many
I met Jon in 2010 when I went to a FL event on the Queen Mary and we kept in touch on FB after that. He was lovely to me while I was in LA and really was a gentleman. So sorry to hear of his passing. :(

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Very sad news. It makes you sit back for a moment to realise just how fragile & prescious life is. And how fleeting the time we all have to walk this earth. We don't always realise until times like this.

Be at Peace John.

Feraud

Bartender
My wife was saddened to hear the news of John's passing. She remembered meeting John on the Queen Mary in 2006 and has good memories of the encounter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff