Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Passing Away of John Erickson, Fellow Lounger and Friend to Many.

Sadly, it seems that John's life had hit a rough patch the past year or so as he had lost his job and was looking for work. I can't help but wonder if in some way the stress might have contributed to his untimely passing.

Perhaps we can take away from this that even living through a rough patch is still LIVING. The value of a person's existence is not diminished by his professional/financial setbacks. It can be hard to maintain sight of that when going through such a time.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Perhaps we can take away from this that even living through a rough patch is still LIVING. The value of a person's existence is not diminished by his professional/financial setbacks. It can be hard to maintain sight of that when going through such a time.
I have a friend who is a doctor and when he's feeling excessively stressed from his practice he visits the intensive care unit. It helps him to put things into perspective.

It saddens me to think that John's last months were not as happy (if that's the right word) as they might have been. But then, he impressed me as one to find satisfaction in his daily existence, so I trust he enjoyed the life he had.

in/y

One of the Regulars
I too am saddened to hear of John's passing. He was (and still is) on my short list of Loungers I hope to meet in person someday.

Last edited:

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Oh, man. I come back to the Lounge for a visit and this is the first thread I come across. I met John when some of us got together for a showing of "It's a Wonderful Life" at the Million Dollar Theater in Los Angeles, December 2009 if I recall correctly. I happened to be out there visiting family and friends and took advantage of the timing to go. He was as nice in person as he was here on the Lounge. As has been said many times already, he will be missed.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I 'wish' John could see the positive effect he's had on so many people. Most of us never truly realise just how the smallest of gestures we make towards others throughout out daily lives can have such a lasting profound effect that leave something much more long-term within us than mere foot prints on the sand.
Only a few minutes ago I was writing something with a pen that John had very kindly gifted me, and I just thought I'd come on here again to read so many of the lovely comments people have made about this very gentle and genuine Gentleman.
We are blessed on TFL to have such special individuals cross our paths when we visit these halls of friendship, sharing and education.

I 'wish' John could see the positive effect he's had on so many people. Most of us never truly realise just how the smallest of gestures we make towards others throughout out daily lives can have such a lasting profound effect that leave something much more long-term within us than mere foot prints on the sand.
Only a few minutes ago I was writing something with a pen that John had very kindly gifted me, and I just thought I'd come on here again to read so many of the lovely comments people have made about this very gentle and genuine Gentleman.
We are blessed on TFL to have such special individuals cross our paths when we visit these halls of friendship, sharing and education.

Definitely agreed.

rue

I've been gone for quite some time and sadly, I just heard of John's passing. I had the chance to meet him in person on the 2012 QM get together and he was one of the nicest men I've ever met. He even remembered how much I loved calligraphy and gave me a book on it that I use all the time. He will truly be missed.

FedoraGent

One Too Many
It has been many many years since I have posted on The Lounge. Sad that my first post back after eons of being away should be on the passing of a wonderful man. John Erickson was a one hell of a guy. It was my honor and pleasure to have kept in touch with him over the years. He also introduced me to a mutual friend of ours, Matthew. I hope that this gentle beautiful human being has found some peace. I have a photo of him from one of our 1st Church of Frank Sinatra gatherings. And of course, what is he doing? Showing us his pen collection. :) I for one will miss him greatly and wish we could have seen each other before he left us. My wife (to whom I met on the Lounge) and I were quite fond of him. RIP John. I will miss you.

HeyMoe

Practically Family
I just saw this thread. He was great when I first joined the lounge, answering questions and just making things around here so welcoming. I enjoyed his posts immensely. I am floored to say the least.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Sorry to hear this. I never met him but I do believe I remember seeing his avatar when he posted. From that picture posted in the first post of this thread you can tell that he was relatively young. I hope his life circumstances (job loss) didn't add any stress that led to his death. Again, I am so sorry to learn this and he looked like a very likeable man.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
How awful. I always enjoyed John's posts and he struck me, though I only knew him in passing through the Lounge, to be a classy gentleman. The world is all the less for his loss. Condolences to the family. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ