Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Perfect CUSTOM Safari Hat

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

There are a couple of threads concerning the "perfect safari hat" and they are mainly about Akubras. My British WW2 bush hat was in the rain, and shrunk too much to wear. It's wool, so I don't think I can re-shape, or re-block it. Well, I can do it once, but it will eventually need it again. Note how the Pugaree (cotton) is pulled away from the wool about a half inch.

WPG_Bush_Hat_2_2_Post.JPG

So, I'm considering ordering the perfect safari hat from a custom hatter.

In my opinion, the hat must be tough, able to withstand the elements (including water). It must shade you from the sun. It must be comfortable. What do y'all define the perfect safari hat? I (OBVIOUSLY) have a purpose in mind for asking.

Felt make-up: 100% Beaver, 75/25 Beaver / Bunny, 50/50, 25/75 Beaver Bunny, Wool (right...), Nutria, Other (specify I have no other ideas).

Hat Color:

Hat Taper (lots, Indy?):

Brim width:
Brim shape:
Brim stiffness: Cowboy hat / snap brim / floppy
Bound Brim (yes or no):
Brim Pencil or other Curl (yes or no?):

Crown height uncreased:
Crown crease:
Crown crease height:

Pugaree or hat band:
Hat band width:
Hat band color:
Hat band bow (if applicable):

Liner (yes or no):
Liner Material (if applicable):

Ventilation (yes or no):
What kind of ventilation:

Comments:

I'll post my starting ideas in a couple of days. I have to measure the brim on the British Bush hat, and I have to coach the pistol team tomorrow night.

Later

Neophyte

There's a guy around here somewhere who's ahead of you. He's getting an "Out of Africa" custom from either Baron or Jaxonbilt.

1961MJS

There's a guy around here somewhere who's ahead of you. He's getting an "Out of Africa" custom from either Baron or Jaxonbilt.
Yep, Duke Nukem went with Jaxonbilt for an "Out of Africa" style hat. I didn't like the pugaree on the one in the pictures, it was too "nice" looking.

Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot