Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The perfect length of an A2 ???

Persimmon

One of the Regulars
Just what is the right length for a A2 Jacket.
Should it be tight on the waist.
Should it be long enough that the waist band slightly (all of it ) disappears under the leather ?
I know that does not look good on the sleeve length - sort of tunnelling.
Any pictures of the perfect length of your A2.
I guess when you stick your arms in the air does it go up your back or should that never happen and there is always material there.
I am sure I read somewhere that the pilots wanted in tight to the waist so that it would not rub on their backs as they flew but as I have no plane !! ...whats the real deal now guys.
Of course their is always a a personal preference choice in there somewhere but I would love to see the best ones and how it lay's for you.
I look at old war photos and some are close to the waistband of the trousers whilst other jackets overhang a fair bit.
Help me please.
Alan

CBI

One Too Many
Go to the Good Wear Leather site. There are loads of photos of John Chapman (the owner) wearing his A-2's. The fit/length he cuts for would be the "ideal" look. That said, if you look at countless WWII photos, its really all over the map. A good quick example are the Doolittle Raider photos also on his site.

I like numerous cuts and have A-2's of slightly different sizes/cuts so I can vary things a bit. Also, depending on the actual contract, the waist cut can be different. On the Good Wear site you can see all of the different contracts (repros), all made "the same size" and worn on by same person so you can see the differences in cut/fit/length. Can be very helpful ............

Edward

Bartender
Yes, John's site is fantastic that way - that's where the others fall down really - even Eastman, who have a great site, lose someting by not showing the jackets actually being worn.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For me my original Star A2 is a great fit. The waistband covers the waistband on my jeans and does not ride up when I raise my arms. There was no perfect or ideal length for A2s in the War. You see varied lengths and sizes.

010-54.jpg

gyrobroyeur

Familiar Face
the perfect length

The perfect length is when your shoulders stands just under the epaulets... In case of doubt, verify that the collar arrives just behind your neck... :eusa_doh: :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21