Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Phantom Comic Strip

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Recently I've rediscovered some comic strip clippings of The Phantom that I've had from around 1985-86. I became interested in reading the missing chapters (of which there were many) and in the process I've accumulated nearly sixty complete stories (dailies) of the Phantom comic strip!!! I have most of the 1970s and 1980s strips and was pleasantly surprised at how the high level of storytelling remained into the 1990s. Lee Falk was one prolific mutha! He makes Milton Caniff (another comic strip hero of mine) look like J.D. Salinger!

I hadn't thought about the strip in years--decades even--but it has turned out to be a neglected chapter in my love of pulp/adventure/comic strips. I vividly remember setting the newspaper on the living room floor and reading The Phantom every day during my childhood. The Sundays were great because they had a separate adventure often with more on the history of previous Phantoms. I've always loved the tradition of the Phantom, with 21 generations taking up the mantle. The strip had a mythology all its own: I love the Skull Cave, the ring that leaves its permanent mark on its victims, the layout of the Phantom's Deep Woods locale, often with beautifully-rendered layouts by artist Sy Barry, whose art always had a crisp, clean, easy-to-see quality.

Any fans of the comic strip? Do you have some favorite stories you can recommend? I liked the 1996 film on its own terms (mostly for the art direction and costumes) but I'd like to focus the discussion here on the comic strip.

docneg

One of the Regulars
I also loved The Phantom as a kid; made my own stone throne in the woods where I played (and called it "the jungle"). My first comics were in the '50s and the artist at that time was (I think) Ray Moore. It was also in our Sunday newspaper. Then Gold Key comics came out with a Phantom title in the '60s with those beautiful painted covers! Remember those? This went way beyond any kind of comic art. And talk about "suitable for framing"--the cover art was reproduced on the back cover, without the titles, so you could hang the art on your wall! Imagine that today.

After many years searching, I was finally able to get a print of the '40s Phantom serial. It was very faithful to the comic strip. A big thrill to see all that stuff in living action.

I always liked the more believable characters and stories, and The Phantom rewarded on both counts.

docneg

One of the Regulars
I forgot to answer your question about favorite stories. I remember reading "The Goggle-Eye Pirates" in the Sunday strip with my grandmother as a kid, and then it appearing years later in the Gold Key comic book. That stands out. But I think my favorite is the one where the Phantom goes to a gambler's island to reclaim his father's gun belt, where he was killed. The man who killed him displayed the belt on the wall as a hunting trophy. That is memorable.

Now I'm going to have to have to go through all those damn boxes in the attic!

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I have a book that is a reprint of the Sky Pirates stories from the 1930s. It is an early storyline and I recommend it.
I also recommend the serial with Tom Tyler ( he also played Captain Marvel).

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
docneg said:
I also loved The Phantom as a kid; made my own stone throne in the woods where I played (and called it "the jungle"). My first comics were in the '50s and the artist at that time was (I think) Ray Moore. It was also in our Sunday newspaper. Then Gold Key comics came out with a Phantom title in the '60s with those beautiful painted covers! Remember those? This went way beyond any kind of comic art. And talk about "suitable for framing"--the cover art was reproduced on the back cover, without the titles, so you could hang the art on your wall! Imagine that today.

After many years searching, I was finally able to get a print of the '40s Phantom serial. It was very faithful to the comic strip. A big thrill to see all that stuff in living action.

I always liked the more believable characters and stories, and The Phantom rewarded on both counts.

If you haven't seen it already, The Phantom Classic Index is a marvelous resource for most every Phantom story. There's a blurb for each tale, too.

My friends weren't big on The Phantom; it was more my thing, though I never failed to "borrow" Lee Falk's story ideas for our own playground romps!

You mention the comic books but my experience with the character has been exclusively with the strip itself, though I was aware of the serial. I was impressed to see how countries as diverse as India, Norway, and Australia are known for their passionate fandom. In the brief research I've done I noticed that there are lots of books out there!

The Wolf said:
I have a book that is a reprint of the Sky Pirates stories from the 1930s. It is an early storyline and I recommend it.
I also recommend the serial with Tom Tyler ( he also played Captain Marvel).

I'm currently running down as many as the Falk/Barry stories as I can (and I've got sixty thus far). Sy Barry's art hass spoiled me; I've always admired his work.

astrang1

New in Town
Hello,
I love the Phantom . I have picked up some stories in various comic stores and scans on the net. I have to say I enjoyed the film as well.
Moonstone is publishing the Phantom these days.
Best wishes,
Al

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
FL Avatar Blues...

My FL avatar changed to reflect newfound Phantom enthusiasm!*

*I'm positive that the Hemingway passport photo as well as the Nick and Nora pics I tried are already someone else's avatar)

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Widebrim said:
Yes, I remember reading The Phantom strip in the Los Angeles Herald Examiner in the '60s and '70s. At that time, I had no idea of the character's history, but now somewhat do, and hold a deeper appreciation for the strip and the creator/illustrators.

That's part of why the strip appeals to me. Falk had a great sense of continuity with only occasional later lapses that were really no big deal. Most comic strips have amnesia when it comes to its past events!

Found an interesting blog article on Lee Falk, which discusses Mandrake the Magician, as well as The Phantom:

Lee Falk, Storyteller

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Although I like how each story keeps new readers informed as to The Phantom's origin:

"I swear to devote my life to destroy injustice, piracy, and greed--my sons and their sons will follow me!"

Can't help but get a chuckle out of that. I can hear the Phantom's son responding in a Jeff Spicolli-style voice:

"Gee, thanks dad!"

lol

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
dr greg said:
I loved the Phantom as a kid, it was quite popular here, and it was BELIEVABLE, unlike all that Marvel stuff other kids liked, all Mr Walker had was his fists, no radioactive nonsense...fantastic stuff, the Billy Zane movie was poor tho......

I'm currently working my way through the entire Falk/Barry run and having a blast! And to think all of this started because I stumbled upon some old newspaper clippings and wanted to read the complete story. I like when he's in "Mr. Walker" guise with trenchcoat, hat, and sunglasses and the icy tone he takes with people when he wants to impose his will. Just the threat of what he'll do is enough!

I loved this strip as a kid and find it just as much fun now.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Even the lesser Falk stories are worthwhile because of the gorgeous Sy Barry art! Adventures featuring the Phantom's twin children, Old Baldy the gorilla, Hzzz the sasquatch-looking creature, and Stegy the dinosaur (I'm chuckling as I type this) have a strange charm. I honestly don't remember these characters when reading these as a kid.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
It's interesting to follow the strip's development over the years, as The Phantom finally weds Diana Palmer, the kids Kit and Heloise come into the picture, etc., and though there's the occasional attack of the "cutes", Falk remained an excellent storyteller and Sy Barry's art just got better.

swinggal

One Too Many
My friend Rob has juts about every Australian comic issue ever printed since they began here in 1948. He also sports a phantom tatoo on his right shoulder. Phantom comics were VERY big in Australia.

I love that he was the first superhero to wear the skintight costume that became pretty much standard later on for all superheros.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21