Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The pixies come at night...

wahine

Practically Family
There is a fairy tale about pixies coming at night and cleaning up the mess in your house.
Well, to my house they come and make the mess even worse.

And, the most shocking thing: They take my bobby pins!
Every month, I buy new ones but each time I look into my little bobby pin box, there are less and less.

In earlier times, there was the mystery of the vanished sock (in the washing machine);
nowadays it's the vanishing of the bobby pins.

What's your everyday mystery?

Snowdrop

Familiar Face
I think your bobby pin pixie is a frequent visitor at my house too! I can't imagine how many I go through in a month, but they always seem to be on my shopping list.

I would also like to know why, once one lightbulb blows in my house, every other one also decides the time has come to die. It's infuriating!!

NancyLouise

One of the Regulars
Maybe bobby pins have some sort of timer built in, when the timer goes off, they become magnetically charged and find their way back to the factory to be re-purchased.
Mine are gone too!

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
I used to suffer from the mystery of the disappearing hair bands. I'd buy packet after packet & they just seemed to magically vanish into thin air. I'd leave them in a little bowl on my bedside table......then one morning I saw my cat jump up on the table & take a few in her mouth then run away. Yep my hair bands became cat toys.

So not so much naughty fairies, but felonious pussy cats.

wahine

Practically Family
Snowdrop, I remember those light bulb blowing. But now those times are over since the light bulb times are over, too (EU law bans them more and more now; I have only one left in my place).

NancyLouise, your back-to-the-factory theory absolutely makes sense! For some reason, it doesn't really make me any happier to know that I support the hair pin industry unwillingly. :p

Lollyloisides, that sounds familiar. A friend's cat used to take tampons to pieces, they were wondering where all the cotton pieces came from.. :D

Last edited:

wahine

Practically Family
Some other everyday mystery comes to my mind: There seems to be a big enterprise conspiracy going on against me. Many companies keep on discontinuing my favorite products! In the last, let's say 5 years, about 75% of my favorite food products and many other products just stopped being produced and never came back. My man already makes fun of me when we go shopping: "Should we buy your favorite pizza - I mean, if they still have it, haha!"
What the heck?!

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
QUOTE=wahine;1202212]Some other everyday mystery comes to my mind: There seems to be a big enterprise conspiracy going on against me. Many companies keep on discontinuing my favorite products! [/QUOTE]

Yes, that's really annoying, the other thing that gives me the pips is when I find a product I love & then the company releases a "new & improved" formula, which basically means it's a different product to the one I like. :eusa_doh:

Snowdrop

Familiar Face
Wahine - I can't STAND those God awful energy saving lightbulbs. I think you get more light out of lighting a match. There's a few in my apartment that the landlord must have put in and I have to remind myself to switch on the light in a room a good ten minutes before I go in there so I can actually see. I'm afraid I bulk buy the old ones from the grocery stores.

Leo DiCaprio would not approve, I know. :p

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
Augh, my bobby pins always vanish too. I think, for me at least, they just fall out of my hair when I'm walking around. Sometimes I'll find old rusty bobby pins in our driveway lol.

Socks and stockings have a funny way of disappearing, too, though never both at once. I always hang on the one, hoping someday I'll find it's mate...

wahine

Practically Family
The energy saving bulbs keep on becoming better / lighter. But they're still stupid since they are poisonous.

Lolly, I know exactly what you mean. Every time I notice a change in a package, I think "Oh-oh, don't say, they >improved< the formula!"

RodeoRose, don't you think, socks don't vanish as often as they used to? But I always lose a glove. Only one, of course. For a while, I stuck on buying simple black standard models to pair the sole survivors. But I want nice looking gloves! So now, I get cheap but nice looking ones, knowing they're most likely only for one season.

Lollipop

Familiar Face
My Bobby Pins always seem to disappear as well!...As do socks! I always find one sock, but never the match. I swear the dryer likes to have a good snack at times.

wahine

Practically Family
That magnet idea sounds very clever! It won't help in my case though, cause it's the pixies robbing the pins, remember?
(Another reason: I sleep on a sofa-bed combination which I regularly transfer from bed to sofa; and there are no pins on the "appearing" floor :p Sounds awkward, but sorry, I don't know how to put it)

Maybe there's a giant party going on somewhere: Bobby pins, socks, and stockings free of entrance! :D

crwritt

One Too Many
I once saw a raccoon actually steal a cotton stocking off my clothesline. Lord knows what unspeakable acts he had in mind to do with it.

Breaking and entering, most likely.
fmf2.png

Puzzicato

One Too Many
I used to suffer from the mystery of the disappearing hair bands. I'd buy packet after packet & they just seemed to magically vanish into thin air. I'd leave them in a little bowl on my bedside table......then one morning I saw my cat jump up on the table & take a few in her mouth then run away. Yep my hair bands became cat toys.

So not so much naughty fairies, but felonious pussy cats.

My current cat doesn't do that (we let her have the red rubber bands from the post office so she leaves mine alone) but previous cats have! I heard a rumour that elastic smells like fish.

RodeoRose, don't you think, socks don't vanish as often as they used to? But I always lose a glove. Only one, of course. For a while, I stuck on buying simple black standard models to pair the sole survivors. But I want nice looking gloves! So now, I get cheap but nice looking ones, knowing they're most likely only for one season.

My socks stopped disappearing since I started to take them off straight into a lingerie wash bag and then washing the whole bag. But that glove thing is so annoying! I have 1 black glove that turns up all over the house (possibly moved by cat) but I am never sure if it is the one I knew about or the missing one. If that makes sense.

BettyMaraschino

Familiar Face
Haha, glad to know its not just me that has disappearing bobby pins. At £2 for 30 it gets expensive. I got a tip off that the pound shop near me was doing 200 for £1 (obviously), got there and it was 400! I figure that should keep the bobby pin pixie happy for a while :D

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Haha, glad to know its not just me that has disappearing bobby pins. At £2 for 30 it gets expensive. I got a tip off that the pound shop near me was doing 200 for £1 (obviously), got there and it was 400! I figure that should keep the bobby pin pixie happy for a while :D

I feel your pain with the disappearing hairpins! I just wanted to give a word of warning, though: whilst you wouldn't think hairpins would vary much in quality vs. price, I recently bought a large number very cheaply from ebay (120 for £1.50 I think) and they are not very good at all. They bend too easily and therefore don't have much grip. If I've used one for a particularly big bit of hair I sometimes have to just throw it away cause it won't go back to its original shape.

It's not like the ones I had before were expensive, and I know that at such a great price it doesn't really matter if you get through them quick, but I just wanted to point that out! :)

regarding disappearing hairpins, several times now mine I have had them fall out of my hair into the, er, toilet :D which is particularly unpleasant cause they don't flush, it's a rubber glove job I'm afraid :( Even worse, it's happened twice at someone else's house!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21