Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Retro Computers that Never Existed

jake431

Practically Family
Check out this neat analog computer. I think it's a safely retro object.

harmonium_01.jpg

harmonium_02.jpg

harmonium_04.jpg

harmonium_05.jpg

Gorgeous!

-Jake

The Wingnut

One Too Many
jake431 said:
Check out this neat analog computer. I think it's a safely retro object.

Gorgeous!

-Jake

That's some fantastic machining and fabrication, but with exception to the wood it's mounted to, most of the materials and construction are late 1960s or 1970s technology, or even entirely modern. It's one hell of an accomplishment, that's for sure.

jake431

Practically Family
The Wingnut said:
That's some fantastic machining and fabrication, but with exception to the wood it's mounted to, most of the materials and construction are late 1960s or 1970s technology, or even entirely modern. It's one hell of an accomplishment, that's for sure.

It doesn't look very dissimilar from a Norden bombsight - which is a 1930's invention.

-Jake

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I'd respectfully disagree...the level of miniaturization and detail goes beyond the precision of a Norden, especially with all of the components being machined, including the enclosure(which is anodized orange, a look common to test equipment in the '60s and '70s)...a Norden's enclosure is entirely cast and painted, and the adjustment controls are nowhere near as precise.

Norden_bombsight.jpg

donCarlos

Practically Family
And what about this? It is a bit offtopic, because it actually exists, but still... I think that this design may be succesfull here :)

steampunkmonitorvonslatt.jpg

alexandra

Practically Family
I'm trying to convince my friend to help me build a computer inside a typewriter because he's a brain. It will take a lot of work and customisation though...but I say it can be our summer project!

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's Winston Smith's "1984" workstation from the novel/movie "Nineteen Eighty-Four". Kinda looks like my desk at work, if the truth be known! (minus the flaming paper shredder!)

Winstonworkstation.jpg

-dixon cannon

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
donCarlos said:
And what about this? It is a bit offtopic, because it actually exists, but still... I think that this design may be succesfull here :)

steampunkmonitorvonslatt.jpg
Love this. If I knew someone who could do it, I'd have mine altered just like it. I am in love with this whole Steampunk movement...

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
Steam punk

Still processing the steam punk style. Initial impression is that it's different and cool; still, there is something about it that sticks in the back of the throat. It's not retro. It's not vintage. Something imitation and false about it. The old Underwood or Remington has the tactile feel and sound that a modified and tarted-up IBM model M keyboard can never duplicate, and an Underwood wired as a keyboard to send electronic signals to your computer strikes me as a Frankenstein monster. If one is going to install an old-fashioned typewriter font in Word, and wire up an old typewriter as a keyboard, there is a much easier way to get there: use an old typewriter on some good bond. Then I look at the latest steam punk contraption and think "wish I had thought of that." Still waiting to see what the mouse will look like. Probably a pack of Lucky's. And despite our ruminations on engraved calling cards, Bogey's ring, and shawl-collared double-breasted dinner jackets, we can't correspond here on the old Underwood. Like I said, still processing.

Perhaps we could send typed notes to MD and he could scan them in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot