Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stratoliner Association {Premiere}

tommyK

One Too Many
Here's the 2 I have

_DSC0987_zpse64773ff.jpg
Mink in front, cornhill in back. They don't mind bad weather, don't be afraid to wear them
d3b89124-6c67-4a3a-9a18-2f43bcc6142c_zpsa21861d0.jpg

T Rick

Practically Family
Has anyone heard or seen anything more on the green Stratoliner we saw Matt Deckard wearing a few pages back (his Twitter Feed I think someone said). I did confirm with him it was a new hat, "the new Excellent Quality Open Crown Stratoliner" is how he referred to it in a PM (I presume that's the Royal Deluxe Strat, which I currently have in Cornhill, love it). Would love to get a green one if/when available. For now, considering black, Caribou and/or Silver Belly. But green would be my top choice!

Here's a copy of the pic again....

tumblr_ngc6zicHYr1r91qw7o1_500.jpg

T Rick

Practically Family

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for! Funny thing is, seems I even posted in the wrong thread (my original inquiry and the original pic were in this thread)

Looks like I've got a bit of reading to do, but it appears the critical info is on page 7 of the thread you link.

Thanks!

NewJack

Practically Family
Latest acquisition...The Strat Cornhill Open Crown...Thanks tommyk for the encouragement to wear in inclement weather..'specially here in Jersey!

tommyK

One Too Many
Congrats, NewJack.
I think they're a good choice for us big noggins. I'm big on vintage but big sizes are few and more expensive than these, generally. Not to mention how comfortable the leather sweatbands are.

triple-d

A-List Customer
Cool sweatband with the plane and "Stratoliner" in that script. My mink premier Stratoliner did not have that.

Mine didn't have the plane on the sweatbaand either. Bought the mink about a year ago, it just has royal deluxe stetson, then stratolinder spelled out by itself about a quarter way around the hatband. The Cornhill was bought a few weeks ago and says premier stratoliner right beside the stetson crest. So there are at least 3 different sets of hatband markings for the premier strat.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
As an 'amature' hat wearer/collector, I know relatively nothing about these hats. I tend to buy what suits me at the time. So on a hot blistering day at Niagara on the Lake I purchased a Stetson Stratoliner from the Beau Chapeau Hat Shop.
Could someone please enlighten me to the difference between models as mine does not have a leather sweat band, does not say Premier or have the embossed plane though is made in the USA and does come with the little aircraft pin. Also there appears to be a large difference in the pricing between hats that to me look identical.
I shall post a pic when I load some, but in the meanwhile thank you in anticipation.
John :)

Last edited:

NewJack

Practically Family
TommyK. So true! To find any vintage lid in my 7 /12- 7 5/8 size is tough indeed! This Strat fits big but I was able to make some adjustments. The only perfect lid for my noggin size is one that is hand made!

89quattro

One of the Regulars

Agree that it's a good choice for us big heads given the lack of vintage in our sizes. Enjoy the ride.

I just can't pull the trigger as I'm still hung up on the price/quality ratio for this style. May be a minor point to some, but your first pic seems to show another example of Hat Co's quality control issues...poor tacking of the ribbon to the crown. Guess that's just the way it is, and will remain, with mass production hats.

triple-d

A-List Customer
Modern hat factory tack stitching in general is not good (placement, thread size / color match). Stetson (HATCO) are some of the worse offenders. Akubra is not far behind. Also some of the custom hats I see here have problems. This is an example of fine finishing (ribbon, bow and binding)!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7069/6786725444_22f41a9d05_b.jpg

Good point Mayser. NewJack.....trim that little thread off...and let r bump...lol I have two and love them both. The Strat was an everyday guys hat........shouldn't be fancy.....cograts on that beauty NewJack!!!!!!!!!!

As an 'amature' hat wearer/collector, I know relatively nothing about these hats. I tend to buy what suits me at the time. So on a hot blistering day at Niagara on the Lake I purchased a Stetson Stratoliner from the Beau Chapeau Hat Shop.
Could someone please enlighten me to the difference between models as mine does not have a leather sweat band, does not say Premier or have the embossed plane though is made in the USA and does come with the little aircraft pin. Also there appears to be a large difference in the pricing between hats that to me look identical.
I shall post a pic when I load some, but in the meanwhile thank you in anticipation.
John :)
Is it creased or open crown?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Creased. It was bought off the rack so to speak.

Hatco/Stetson currently offers three felt versions of the Stratoliner. Yours should have a leather sweat, but it won't be the sheepskin sweat found in the premiere and excellent quality hats. The strat with the blocked in crease comes in Royal quality felt. The premiere comes in Royal Deluxe felt, and the excellent quality, new for this year, is coming in the new excellent quality felt.

John T. Sarto

Familiar Face
Mine didn't have the plane on the sweatbaand either. Bought the mink about a year ago, it just has royal deluxe stetson, then stratolinder spelled out by itself about a quarter way around the hatband. The Cornhill was bought a few weeks ago and says premier stratoliner right beside the stetson crest. So there are at least 3 different sets of hatband markings for the premier strat.

Bought my mink about a year ago as well and it has the same sweatband you describe. Must have been the standard at that time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk