Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The time has come

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I began collecting hats seriously in high school, continued in college, and have picked them up over time since then ... we're talking about 40 years here.

Now I have reached a point both in my own life and in the histoy of hats, apparently, where I need to pay more attention to restoration than acquisition.

I have a few that I'm willing to invest in so they can join the ones I hope to pass on to younger collectors some day.

One is a nice old Dobbs 20 ... guild edge ... 2 3/4 inch brim, 5 inch crown

It has seen a good amount of wear when I found it, but there are no breaks in the felt.

What is a fair price for having a hat like this overhauled, and is it worth it?

Thanks for the insight,

Sam

cptjeff

Practically Family
If you have a bunch to do, it might be worth it to learn to do it yourself. Get a block and flange or two, some naptha, a kettle, and it'll give you something to do. Sewing awl to redo sweatbands perhaps...

The only caveat I would add to cptjeff's suggestion is that a person not start his DIY hat renovations on his more treasured hats. The hatter's trade may be simple, but it isn't easy. A person might study online hat-making and -renovation tutorials and think, heck, I can do that. And he probably could. But unless he has an unusual innate talent for such things, or brings directly relevant skills picked up in other endeavors, he'll very likely produce less than professional quality results. Significantly less.

In other words, it ain't as easy as it looks. This is not to say I would discourage a person from giving it a crack, but just that he be prepared to redo his work, or even face the prospects of doing irreversible damage to an old hat body.

As to Sam's question ...

I say it's clearly worth the C note it might cost you to have a decent old hat renovated. People who don't share our interest in old hats might not agree, but their opinions don't really matter. A renovated vintage hat will likely be a better hat than all but the best new hats. And its owner would be out less dough. Better hat, less money. Makes sense to me.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I agree with Tony that is is not easy, as you might expect, but doable with practice. As for worth it, I would say if you fit a seven or smaller, you could probably buy hats in good shape for less. But if you are big, then a good hat will cost you that much anyway.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Over the years I have done almost all of it one time or another

Reblocked, reshaped, replace liners, replace ribbons ... everything except replace sweats.

Many of the hats I own, I bought used and fixed up myself.

I have also converted several western hats into fedoras.

But the level I'm considering for the old Dobbs and a couple of others goes beyond that and, frankly, they are nice enough examples to be worth the professional touch.

I agree, one can learn to do it all, but there's still some things that are worth paying for.

I've got a hatter about two hours away and I believe he can do most of what I'm wanting done ... I just want to get my money's worth.

Sam

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Thanks Vic

Jack is exactly who I am referring to

The only experience I've had there has been buying, and, frankly, not much of that.

I figure he'd know what he's doing.

Any experiences with restorations work there?

Thanks,

Sam

Sam Craig

One Too Many
carouselvic said:
Yes, I trusted him to replace a sweat and re-flange a high end Monte. Excellent workmanship.

What has me concerned about the old Dobbs ... and frankly the reason I have worn it rarely since I first found it years ago ... is the worn spot in the front pinch.

The felt isn't broken, but there is a line, maybe half an inch long, that is almost through and that needs to be backed up somehow.

I don't want to take a chance of it turning into a break in the felt, especially in that spot.

The hat is a nice, large shape, tan with darker tan ribbon ... worth it, in other words

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
He once told me he had ways to repair split felt. On a complete rebuild, the weak spot can be moved to the rear of the hat.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Vic,

I e-mailed Jack and am waiting for input.

I know I'm gonna get some sweat work done, and I think at least the Dobbs will be in for a rebuild.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Got the info from Jack and prices are great!

I'm taking the Dobbs and one of my cowboy conversion fedoras down for work overs.

To quote the immortal bard ,,, This looks like the beginning of a beautiful friendship

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21