Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thinking about custom jacket...

Pdxgeo

A-List Customer
Ive been looking, researching and pondering for over a year. Dave can't make the Beck in my size (too small) so my quest continues.

I like the early "aviator" look of a simple double rider in brown. I also really like a sheepskin or mouton collar. I just came across this Schott on eBay and it almost fits the bill for me. I would rather have the skin on the upper collar however and I'm not a fan of huge pointed collars in general so I'd like the collar shape to be different.

I really do like the shoulder and wrist on this jacket however so I may just try to find a ship to custom make something like it with the fur on the upper collar.

Any suggestions, thoughts? Is there already a jacket out there like that?

Thank you all and Happy Thanksgiving!

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    402.5 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Have you thought about contacting Johnsons Leather, they seem to be more than happy to create custom jackets and the results always seem spectacular

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Apart from the cuff straps it just looks like a brown bike jacket with furry liner or made from sheepskin. Quite nice though not quite me.

Pdxgeo

A-List Customer
Apart from the cuff straps it just looks like a brown bike jacket with furry liner or made from sheepskin. Quite nice though not quite me.

Yes, I agree. I am trying to design something that looks "classic" or old, not too rocker but with a double breasted look. Simplicity is key. The Freewheelers leather togs Labrea, while definitely biker/rocker, has a very clean, simple look that I like. In Rin Tanakas book there are several other examples, even some with fur collars, but none are reproduced i don't think. I want hand warmer pockets and one other outer on the wider side of the zip. Here are some sketches. I have sent off an email to Johnson.

Attachments

• unnamed-1.jpg
    unnamed-1.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 229
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 233

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Aero Bootlegger has many of the features that you have mentioned you are looking for. As far as the fur collar, I believe I saw a custom Bootlegger with a fur collar on the Aero sale page earlier this year. If I were you I would contact either Thurston Brothers or Aero. I'm sure they would be happy to work with you to build the jacket of your dreams. Good luck!

Benproof

A-List Customer
Ive been looking, researching and pondering for over a year. Dave can't make the Beck in my size (too small) so my quest continues.

I like the early "aviator" look of a simple double rider in brown. I also really like a sheepskin or mouton collar. I just came across this Schott on eBay and it almost fits the bill for me. I would rather have the skin on the upper collar however and I'm not a fan of huge pointed collars in general so I'd like the collar shape to be different.

I really do like the shoulder and wrist on this jacket however so I may just try to find a ship to custom make something like it with the fur on the upper collar.

Any suggestions, thoughts? Is there already a jacket out there like that?

Thank you all and Happy Thanksgiving!

Errr..that's a very nice jacket - Batman!

My what wings it has on the collar. Actually, if it was zipped up all the time it would look great, and then you only have to figure out what to do with those flappers for collars - maybe stud fastener to close, but it might get really hot. It's a really nice jacket apart from the collar, and sadly it's too much work to recut it. The shoulders and wrist clasps are probably the best part of the jacket but you really need the whole thing, not just the cuts.

Schott Perfectos have detachable mouton collar options if can locate a vintage one - they fit over the standard Perfecto collars and aren't way extreme like this. They did make some aviator style jackets with the mouton. Orchard police jackets also have the same option although their mouton collars are less extreme than this, they are still larger than Schott but they look great. Aero probably would be a safe custom bet. That's where I choose to go custom.

Peacoat

Bartender
The angle of the hand warmer pockets in the second sketch will work better, much better than the ones in the first sketch.

Last edited:
That Schott in the OP is insane. Shame the fur is synthetic. They really ought to remake that thing... Anyway, Belstaff made this really cool jacket called Belstaff Hook, that you might like. There aren't many photos of it online though but you get the idea. It's basically a sheepskin Perfecto but it looks really cool. That's one Belstaff I'd love to own.

img-thing

a0f27b5579102ac6b7f89a49403c3807.jpg

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Caught this thread and thought I'd post up...

We did this jacket about a year ago for the owner of The Rake...it has been a popular choice for Thurston Bros. customers ever since...It's called an Aero Ridley J-107...

Rake photo 1.jpg
The Rake Aero Ridley 1.jpg

We can add a belt and cuff cinches...I don't think that would be a problem (the jacket actually comes standard with a belt and belt loops!). Also, because the OP is from Portland, fitting is no problem. He can either come up to Seattle for a personal fit appt. or receive an Aero fit jacket through the mail.

Here's the jacket without the fur collar...

Aero Ridley J107 Dark Seal Vicenza Horsehide front 1.jpg

Anyway, the Ridley could be a good option for you...

Pdxgeo

A-List Customer
Funny i was juat drooling over that pic from the magazine spread! When the bootlegger was mentioned (ive considered the BL before) i was checking it out and came across the Ridley. Can the collar fur be fixed and thin looking like the original schott pictured?

Pdxgeo

A-List Customer
Does Lamglitz do custom? I love their quality and have tried on many of their jackets but Im not wild about their style. Simplicity is not their trademark.

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Funny i was juat drooling over that pic from the magazine spread! When the bootlegger was mentioned (ive considered the BL before) i was checking it out and came across the Ridley. Can the collar fur be fixed and thin looking like the original schott pictured?

Absolutely...that's no problem!

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I agree. I am trying to design something that looks "classic" or old, not too rocker but with a double breasted look. Simplicity is key. The Freewheelers leather togs Labrea, while definitely biker/rocker, has a very clean, simple look that I like. In Rin Tanakas book there are several other examples, even some with fur collars, but none are reproduced i don't think. I want hand warmer pockets and one other outer on the wider side of the zip. Here are some sketches. I have sent off an email to Johnson.

This is exactly what i tried to do with my bootlegger:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/my-new-pair-of-aeros.87105/

More aviator less biker...

Pdxgeo

A-List Customer
Nicely done Navetsea, but just a touch too sleek and modern for my thinking. Carlos' Bootlegger with a fur collar might be the ticket. or even the Ridley but adding the wrist cinches...so many amazing ideas, so little cash!

nick123

I'll Lock Up
That's an awesome idea for a jacket! My first thought was Johnson, as they have done a beautiful Grizzly I've seen at the store bound for Japan. They can probably do it. Also Aero or Steve S possibly. Thinking out loud.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up

Interestingly enough, if you go straight to Aero they are against removable fur collars and won't do it, only fixed.
They only do removable collars for Thurston Bros.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24