Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thinking about Lost Worlds.. thoughts, experiences?

horweak

Familiar Face
I've heard that Lost Worlds makes the heaviest jackets. Weight and stiffness have always been a huge factor for me. I just wanted to hear your experience with that, and anything else about them you wanna toss in.

I was going to try and find/order a speed demon, or j23.

Thank you very much

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The heaviest leather jacket I own is my LW CHP. While the leather is very thick, it is also quite pliable and that makes the jacket easier to wear than some jackets I have that are made of much thinner leather.

I'd confirm that Stu still offers his Dreadnought™
Leather Motorcycle Flight Jackets Horsehide Safari Hunting Vintage Cowboy Shirts, �2005LOST WORLDS INC.
4oz PLUS
when you place your order. When I last attempted it was an upcharge to reserve it, not the standard.

Attachments

• 1671120057398.png
    1671120057398.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 77

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Lost Worlds offers a wide weight-range of horsehide, I have seen jackets that must have been 2.5 oz and others that most certainly were in the 4.5oz range.. if you buy used, you will be able to tell by pictures on what end of the spectrum the jacket is. If you buy new, you should specify accordingly and make sure you get the fit right.

There are a couple fellas here who are likely minority owners of LW. They can talk about pretty much every jacket, hide and the Stuart experience.

I own LWs J23, Trojan, PJ27, CHP and Leathertogs B. Great jackets. Newer hide is more pliable with fewer wears but still plenty thick/heavy. And my new LT B is more like my older LWs than the newer CHP, which is insanely pliable. So there is variation. Work it out with Stuart. Anyways— My favorite hide. My favorite maker.

Stuart always has been cool to deal with. Some disagree but I have no issues. He was a gentleman and very cool after my MC accident too. No jacket sale was in play. He was just pleased and relieved that the thick HH did what it was supposed to do, with hardly a scratch lol. Stuart loves leather jackets.

horweak

Familiar Face
Lost Worlds offers a wide weight-range of horsehide, I have seen jackets that must have been 2.5 oz and others that most certainly were in the 4.5oz range.. if you buy used, you will be able to tell by pictures on what end of the spectrum the jacket is. If you buy new, you should specify accordingly and make sure you get the fit right.
Fair enough, im aiming for super thick, and have dealt with the woes of small fit on a 3 oz plus jacket

Kunja

Practically Family
The leather tends to heavy duty but is also often softer and more pliable than you would guess, making them more comfortable in my experince than say Aero CXL. Get an upgraded zipper (yes these cheap zips are a pet peeve of mine) or you may end up replacing it in a short time. Just my experience with a few LW.

The leather tends to heavy duty but is also often softer and more pliable than you would guess, making them more comfortable in my experince than say Aero CXL. Get an upgraded zipper (yes these cheap zips are a pet peeve of mine) or you may end up replacing it in a short time. Just my experience with a few LW.

Good point- or better yet- make sure you order the Crown zips. At a minimum the 10 Talons. I’ve replaced all but those two zips on my LWs

horweak

Familiar Face
There are a couple fellas here who are likely minority owners of LW. They can talk about pretty much every jacket, hide and the Stuart experience.

I own LWs J23, Trojan, PJ27, CHP and Leathertogs B. Great jackets. Newer hide is more pliable with fewer wears but still plenty thick/heavy. And my new LT B is more like my older LWs than the newer CHP, which is insanely pliable. So there is variation. Work it out with Stuart. Anyways— My favorite hide. My favorite maker.

Stuart always has been cool to deal with. Some disagree but I have no issues. He was a gentleman and very cool after my MC accident too. No jacket sale was in play. He was just pleased and relieved that the thick HH did what it was supposed to do, with hardly a scratch lol. Stuart loves leather jackets.
That's a pretty great review. Glad you're good after the accident. His descriptions of things on the website are certainly very entertaining to read. I imagined he was a funny dude.

horweak

Familiar Face
I'm a sucker for huge beefy zippers, so that will definitely be something I specify

Hardly the heaviest but definitely the highest quality leather jackets you could ever hope to buy. Worth your money sooner than most other brands. I still give an edge to Vanson because they can do otherworldly stuff - I don't think there's a single maker in the world capable of making a leather jacket quite like Vanson EXO - but if you dig LW's styles more, by all means, go for it.

Owner can be an asshole so be sure about the size.

horweak

Familiar Face
Hardly the heaviest but definitely the highest quality leather jackets you could ever hope to buy. Worth your money sooner than most other brands. I still give an edge to Vanson because they can do otherworldly stuff - I don't think there's a single maker in the world capable of making a leather jacket quite like Vanson EXO - but if you dig LW's styles more, by all means, go for it.

Owner can be an asshole so be sure about the size.
Who do you think the heaviest is?

Who do you think the heaviest is?

There are no rules. Of all the contemporary makers, two of the heaviest jackets in my possession were by Schott and Aero, but the latter also made me a very light jacket from what is normally their heaviest leather, Horween CXL, so it's all random. Could've just as easily been Lost Worlds or Vanson. Heaviest Vanson I had was still tiny heavier than three LW jackets that I had. There are no rules.

That's a pretty great review. Glad you're good after the accident. His descriptions of things on the website are certainly very entertaining to read. I imagined he was a funny dude.

I wouldn’t say funny, though he can be. He has his peccadillos. But he loves leather jackets and will go on about them for a long time. Plus, as you can see, lately he has stepped a bit out of his box with the new repros. With some help from Red and Carlos.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I have two LW jackets in my collection at present: Buco Racer and Ryder. I've had two others, a Raider and another Ryder, in a smaller size.

The Raider and the smaller Ryder were done in goatskin and in their midweight HH, respectively. I wouldn't call either of those heavy, although they are certainly adequate weight for just about anyone, and well built.

The Ryder I kept is a behemoth, 4+oz HH, maybe 4.5oz, and built like a tank. It's among my heaviest jackets, in terms of how stout the leather is, yet it's not overly heavy at around 6 lbs.

I have many others about as heavy, if not more so: Langlitz, Cal Leather, Aero, Natel, Vanson, and Johnson are all in the running with their heaviest stuff. Although, I will note that Aero, Langlitz, and Vanson have all been using thinner leather in the last few years, stepping back from the ultra heavyweight stuff. I'm not sure whether the modern Cal Leather uses stuff as heavy as they were working with in the 60s, but that old Cal was otherworldly and next level. And, well, Natel no longer exists, and hasn't for who knows how long.

Anyway, the Buco Ryder is also heavy HH, maybe just a smidge thinner than the Ryder, but still a substantial leather for a motorcycle jacket. I couldn't say for sure whether it's 3.5 or 4.0 oz.

I really dig LW, wish I could afford to buy one new.

ChewingWax

One of the Regulars
Good point- or better yet- make sure you order the Crown zips. At a minimum the 10 Talons. I’ve replaced all but those two zips on my LWs
I just got a new Suburban. Stuart recommended the smaller zipper for aesthetic reasons. The website says “NOS Talon” but mine came with a lovely Conmar Conmatic. I’ve heard about the notorious LW zipper problems. I’m just being careful with it. It’s a very attractive zipper. I’m keeping it well lubricated with candle wax. The jacket is barely three weeks old but so far so good. And the leather is amazing. I ordered the 3oz. The jacket is a 42L and weighs in at just over 5lbs.

I have two LW jackets in my collection at present: Buco Racer and Ryder. I've had two others, a Raider and another Ryder, in a smaller size.

The Raider and the smaller Ryder were done in goatskin and in their midweight HH, respectively. I wouldn't call either of those heavy, although they are certainly adequate weight for just about anyone, and well built.

The Ryder I kept is a behemoth, 4+oz HH, maybe 4.5oz, and built like a tank. It's among my heaviest jackets, in terms of how stout the leather is, yet it's not overly heavy at around 6 lbs.

I have many others about as heavy, if not more so: Langlitz, Cal Leather, Aero, Natel, Vanson, and Johnson are all in the running with their heaviest stuff. Although, I will note that Aero, Langlitz, and Vanson have all been using thinner leather in the last few years, stepping back from the ultra heavyweight stuff. I'm not sure whether the modern Cal Leather uses stuff as heavy as they were working with in the 60s, but that old Cal was otherworldly and next level. And, well, Natel no longer exists, and hasn't for who knows how long.

Anyway, the Buco Ryder is also heavy HH, maybe just a smidge thinner than the Ryder, but still a substantial leather for a motorcycle jacket. I couldn't say for sure whether it's 3.5 or 4.0 oz.

I really dig LW, wish I could afford to buy one new.
Is that the Ryder I sold you? I would’ve sworn it was heavier! Don’t tell Stu but full aniline Shinki is heavier….LOL. That horse better gallop his ass a little faster. Maybe inject some PEDS.
TBH honest I was kind of shocked to see how much my Regius jacket weighs. Certainly doesn’t feel like it.
2F63503F-846C-43A2-A9D9-A1C2A1058786.jpeg

Damon141

Practically Family
Is that the Ryder I sold you? I would’ve sworn it was heavier! Don’t tell Stu but full aniline Shinki is heavier….LOL. That horse better gallop his ass a little faster. Maybe inject some PEDS.
TBH honest I was kind of shocked to see how much my Regius jacket weighs. Certainly doesn’t feel like it.
View attachment 473044
Wow that is heavy, I want one. I wonder how it compares to the full aniline Field Leather uses?

do you know the thickness Regius used?

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Is that the Ryder I sold you? I would’ve sworn it was heavier! Don’t tell Stu but full aniline Shinki is heavier
Yes, it is. It might be heavier; I was typing from memory, I weighed it a long time ago. Wouldn't be surprised if it was 6.5.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I've heard that Lost Worlds makes the heaviest jackets. Weight and stiffness have always been a huge factor for me. I just wanted to hear your experience with that, and anything else about them you wanna toss in.

I was going to try and find/order a speed demon, or j23.

Thank you very much
You prefer heavy and stiffness then you have come to the right corral. I have owned several LW jackets after buying a LW Test in 4 ounce + horsehide, what he called High Test, maybe 11 years ago. The others are gone.

He is the master at sizing and fit even with the heavy leather. He knows how to do it. I've gone fishing with a size 42, 46 and only his 44 fits me. Period.. The jacket will outlive you

my youtube channel linked below has several Lost World videos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points