Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thinking of custom hat - need opinions

BigDude

New in Town
Hello All,

I am thinking of getting a custom fedora made. Can anyone offer opinions on makers that frequent this forum - would like to keep the business in this forum.

I am looking for a stingy/porkpie brim - almost like a Deluxe Stetson Gun Club. I am looking for a fedora that will look nice, but is very durable and will last a long time - of wearing it outside - to work, hiking and just have it be my go to hat.....

I am a 59 (7 3/8) and 6' 7" tall - so some hates look really small on me.....

Looking to spend from $250 - up to $450 - for a quality custom fedora.

Please let me know your thoughts and opinions.

Thanks,
Matt

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Six foot seven. *whistles*

That must be quite a sight. I agree with Scott. You'll need something sizable at that height. I think a fedora with a wider brim would look better.

Geldoc

One of the Regulars
I think a brim of at least 2 3/4 in - 3 inches, and a crown of at least 5 - 5 1/2 inches might work. When you contact a custom maker, be sure to consider the shape of your face. Is it more elongated from top to bottom, or wide from side to side? The same consideration affects the collar choice in a dress shirt. Narrow face means spread collar; broad face means more pointed collar. Good luck.

Hard to go wrong with Art, Big Guy.

I see you're 6' 7", but what's your size otherwise?

I'm in general agreement with the style recommendations posted above, but I part company in thinking that a narrower brimmed, shorter crowned hat just might work for you, depending on other factors, face shape among them.

A friend happens to be a quite unusually large fellow -- 6' 3" or 4" and more than 400 pounds, I'm sure -- and porkpie-ish hats look good on him, although that while those hats may be of that general sort of style, they're on a commensurately larger scale. I mean, the dude wears a size 7 3/4, so maintaining the same overall proportions as a more typically sized hat means increasing everything else along with the hat size.

One more reason to get a custom, eh? Only a well-equipped hat shop operated by a competent and conscientious hatter will do that for you. So get ahold of Art, or Mike Moore. I recommend either and both of them to the first-time custom hat buyer, without reservation.

Last edited:

frussell

One Too Many
I'm two inches shorter than you, big fella, and anything under 2 1/2" in brim looks stingy on me. Luckily, you don't seem to suffer from a huge noggin, which makes it even harder to find good hats. I've been able to get exceptional hats from both Art Fawcett, and the guy a few posts above, tonyb (Tumwater Hats), who is too modest to blow his own horn, even though it would be well-deserved. Remember, you can always have a brim cut down if it's too much, but pretty damn hard to add brim width onto a hat. Frank

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Well now, you have a few of the very best hatters alive made mention here, you should be able to make out like a bandit! Best of luck to you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy