Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This is an essential tool for reshaping a hat brim

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
will help to press it down?

No, that tool is for curling the brim. There is no all in one tool that will allow you to put that kind of curl into the brim while you are pressing it. Those are two different parts of the process.

If you have not already, this would be a good time to read Scientific Hat Finishing

okay this kind of hats is finished hats it just need to be repaired and the brim need to be pressed

I still don’t know that I understand what you mean by “the brim needs to be pressed.” If all you want to do is flatten the brim a standard steam iron and press cloth will manage the job. No complicated equipment required since it already has a good brim/crown break. A foot toliker can be used to reset or sharpen the break if it’s needed, but it doesn’t look like it’s needed to me.

You can curl the brim edge it that’s what you want, or you can flange the brim, but I still don’t follow you on what you’re trying to achieve. If all you truly want is to press the brim so it is completely flat use a steam iron and press cloth and mist the felt before you start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Uhh.....

Well, I would circle back to Brent's post above and to Scientific Hat Finishing, which is essentially a pamphlet on setting up a hat repair shop.

I'm not sure what you're trying to do and why you think a brim press will make the edge treatment you're pointing out in the video.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up

So I watched this again this morning...if you're trying to press the bound edge back into the brim, that is DEFINITELY not how that hat is meant to be. While welted brims are folded over sewn down, what you have is a curled brim. I don't see anything about the brim of that hat that needs "repair" other than if one wanted to replace the original binding, which would be a shame.

Last edited:
So I watched this again this morning...if you're trying to press the bound edge back into the brim, that is DEFINITELY not how that hat is meant to be. While welted brims are folded over sewn down, what you have is a curled brim. I don't see anything about the brim of that had that needs "repair" other than if one wanted to replace the original binding, which would be a shame.

I agree. The hat looks fine from what I can see. I wouldn’t “press” anything. Reminds me of people who “fixed” hats by cutting off the Cavanagh edge to get rid of the “weird lump” that went around the brim.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Flat brim....Google Marine Corps hat press...3rd image....$40.

Curled brim....get a curling shackle...@$100 +/-. Read directions.
B

abe ny

Familiar Face
The brim press that Black Sheep has is for storing your flat brimmed hats to keep the brims flat. I have one. The flat brim flange is actually for making a flat brim and it looks like one could be made fairly easy.
how ?

look at this

This is a brim press/breaker machine. You were sent a link earlier to J W Hats in Utah who sells them. These are not needed when what you are after is just flattening a brim. They are more useful when establishing the brim break when making a new hat.

https://www.jwrhats.com/tooling/

d2fa30b6409bc60b7f68794e9cf72233.jpg

dde73ac0f0faffeb36df7117def6e391.jpg

eff7a52e98b41032f8ad44025c8b76b8.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner