Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thom Browne-Say It Ain't So!

Feraud

Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:
Somewhere on the Web, Jovan is in mourning.

lol lol lol

No surprise. Browne's clothes seemed to be a very niche market item.
Working in NYC I cannot say to have seen more than one guy wearing a cropped Browne styled suit. That guy was probably a hired guerilla marketer.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
Somewhere on the Web, Jovan is in mourning.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap lol :D

Seriously, Ive seen some of the stuff at BrooksBros and they are pricey, but not $5000. Some of it is fabulous if you want an extreme `60s continental look. But the BB salesmen concede its hard to sell to anyone over five foot six and onehundred forty pounds.
But Brooks Bros has gotten him to tone down the extreme of the design.

I do see men wearing it, but its usually guys working in design, fashion, publishing...not someone working in a more conventional office.

I havent been to Browne's shop or the Black Fleece store, but yesterday I bought a BlackFleece jacket at the Madison ave BrooksBros sale. At 75% off, you cant sneeze at the quality.

Really, Im not sure why anyone would pay $5000 for off the rack suits?
Unless theyre jsut too impatient to deal with tailors....

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
MrBern said:
Really, Im not sure why anyone would pay $5000 for off the rack suits?

P1010600.JPG

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
five million, five thousand. if you do that math, did he only sell one thousand suits last year?

His mistake was not taking his success and moving onto toe a new trend, or offering more conventional suits inspired by his cutting edge notoriety.

I hear he is coming out with a new line of invisible suits. Only stylish, intelligent people can see them.

reetpleat said:
five million, five thousand. if you do that math, did he only sell one thousand suits last year?

His mistake was not taking his success and moving onto toe a new trend, or offering more conventional suits inspired by his cutting edge notoriety.

I hear he is coming out with a new line of invisible suits. Only stylish, intelligent people can see them.

he must have read the Emperor's New CLothes.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Senator Jack said:
So what's America's next pet rock? No wait, the pet rock was stupid and successful.

Actually, Monsieur Browne can't complain. He had a good run for a huckster, and I'm sure he's got millions stashed away all from doing nothing effectively.

The pet rock could at least be used as a paper weight.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Dear Mr. Browne,

This is your market calling. We're going to need classic, conservative, highly wearable suits for the tough times ahead. Perhaps something along these lines:
Chicago_woolen_mill_suits1.jpg

How about it? Retain your image as l'enfant terrible by making the rest of gents' ready-to-wear look vain and silly, and clean up doing it.

As a gesture down-to-earth, you could call the new line Tom Brown. No h, no e.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
An interesting side note: Tom Ford (that "other" Tom) is making suits that are rather '30s at the top ... and rather '70s at the bottom. He's essentially nailed the lapels, shoulders, chest, sleeves, jacket waist and hem ... but the trousers are low rise and tight at the thighs.

Feraud

Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:
An interesting side note: Tom Ford (that "other" Tom) is making suits that are rather '30s at the top ... and rather '70s at the bottom. He's essentially nailed the lapels, shoulders, chest, sleeves, jacket waist and hem ... but the trousers are low rise and tight at the thighs.

Agreed. I like just about all of the Tom Ford suit jackets I've seen. The pants are all awful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy