Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thrift Store Runway

Marshall

One of the Regulars
I ran across a website that does a thrift store clothes contest, where each contestant posts a photo of an outfit they've put together from thrift store finds. It looks like they use different judges every month, this month it's Antonio Centeno, a custom clothier and style blogger. I decided it might be fun to enter, and thought some folks here might be interested too.

If you go to the page with the contest entries, scroll down and you'll see the pictures I posted (I'm the one in the fedora and overcoat).

http://thriftstorerunway.com/

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
I notice at least one other fedora lounger is on there. Maybe I should send one in since the vast majority of my wardrobe is from thrift stores. ^_^

Marshall

One of the Regulars
Looks like a couple loungers now, I noticed Orgetorix and Houndstooth Kid are now in the running. Maybe I shouldn't have posted this haha, those guys blow me out of the water!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
What do you win?

I am all for seeing those from the lounge do things like enter in a contest like this one. I do however have to say, those that are mostly at the fore front of fashion today, (the individuals that are judging and running this), are those same minded individuals that have (my opinion on modern fashion experts) zero taste in fashion at all, but have the same simple mindedness as those fashion experts that have given us pants that are falling off the rear end of people, dresses made of meat for women pop singers to wear, blah tasteless suits that are like potato sacks merely hanging onto the wearer, with slits for lapels and made of regenerated plastic cola bottles labeled with gold painted designer tags as to make them appear to have a quality or value to them...which most of the time they do not.

I would hope with all kindness towards all members of the Lounge here, please do install some education to those running that show, allow them to know there is more to life than "puff daddy" pants and t shirts and "dolce and frankenstein" popcorn sized purses made of plastic...and of course, you have my apology in advance if I sound a bit over the top towards those involved in the operation of that contest....Loungers all have my support and always will.

Last edited:

Marshall

One of the Regulars
It depends on the number of entrants. If there are over fifty entrants, then the five winners receive $250. If there are less than fifty, then the winners receive $50. Either that or it was $500 and $100. Don't remember. [huh]

I would tend to agree with your opinion on the judges, except that I feel Antonie Centeno (this month's judge) is an exception to this. On his style blog he doesn't encourage "trendy modern fashion" but rather timeless and classic style. And in several of his videos he has mentioned houndstooths kid's blog in a very positive light.

Monte

A-List Customer
Well said. I think we all frequent the lounge for different reasons. I love older styles that are classic and would stand up to new styles easily because of their timelessness. That being said, my wedding suit in my profile pic is secondhand. The shoes I wore were secondhand. The vest, shirt, and tie were new. My hat was custom made. When we decided to have an outdoor reception, the gears started turning.

Last edited:

Metatron

One Too Many
What do you win?
I do however have to say, those that are mostly at the fore front of fashion today, (the individuals that are judging and running this), are those same minded individuals that have (my opinion on modern fashion experts) zero taste in fashion at all, but have the same simple mindedness as those fashion experts that have given us pants that are falling off the rear end of people, dresses made of meat for women pop singers to wear, blah tasteless suits that are like potato sacks merely hanging onto the wearer, with slits for lapels and made of regenerated plastic cola bottles labeled with gold painted designer tags as to make them appear to have a quality or value to them...which most of the time they do not.

I think you're jumping the gun there, most of the winner's outfits are in good taste, and the November judge Antonio Centeno talks about vintage fashion and mentions houndtoothkid's blog on one of his youtube videos. :)

kyboots

Practically Family
Orgetorix is from Louisville. He has been on the lounge and contributed for years. He certainly knows classic style for men and I wish I had his clothes (thrift store or not he has great taste in men's clothes). His look is traditional business classic and the clothes are expensive when new. The problem I had with this site was one of the " favorites" was a young man with clothes too small. Too tight fit jacket, jeans length above the ankle, shirt too small and no socks. May be great for a kid party but don't go to a business meeting like that. That is not style just what "your' supposed to wear right now to be cool". Next year oversize will be back and these all go out of style and you have to find new sizes. Real men wearing clothes intentionally too small for them just makes me worry!--- Old Fashioned John

Marshall

One of the Regulars
Indeed, there are a lot of great entries, particularly by our fellow loungers. I kind of feel sorry for Mr. Centeno, it's got to be difficult to narrow it down to just five!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart