Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thurston Italian Vicenza Horsehide Full Grain Veg.-Tanned Horsehide for Aero Jackets

…ummm, yeah, Ken and family came back…and many patterns have been updated. They now offer many great medium weight hides, and lots of us prefer them to the heavy stuff of yore.

zebedee

One Too Many
Vicenza is definitely lighter than the fqhh - I found it immediately wearable, with no real break-in. Goat is probably the most pliable hide I've had in an Aero, with heavy steer hide being the least. The jerky HH is also immediately wearable, but it has a fairly 'spongy' feel to it and I've yet to wear it in enough crazy weather to see how it develops.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi all, been a long, long time - years since I perused these exalted forums.

I am thinking of kicking the tires on a new jacket, and the lighter weight vicenza HH might be the right path given that I'm now 15 years older than when I bought my last Aero and my shoulders can't carry the weight of a FQHH for a full day like I used to. I love my Stockton and Highwayman made of FQHH but I'm physically unable to wear the Stockton for more than a few hours or my shoulders start to give out.

As such, not having to break in a FQHH jacket again would be preferable. If the Vicenza was not an option I might have gone with the rolled or pre-beaten up FQHH, or maybe even goat as the weight itself is an issue.

How much lighter is the vicenza compared to FQHH? And what color selection would be the closest to the standard brown of the chromo-excel? It is interesting that there is not a straight-up brown (russet, maybe?) that is the vicenza brown equivalent to brown.

Also would need to figure out what style I'd go with, since I prefer as "civilian" and simple a look as possible.

Any of the forum's real old-timers still around? Any major changes at Aero since 2009 or so I should be aware of?

Ideally this should be moved to Ask a Question, Get An Answer About Outerwear.

(Would one of the bartenders be able to do that, @Edward ?) I don't always peruse this thread except to see incomings at Thurston and the loading time of the image heavy threads like this make it hard to respond to questions.

I'd be happy to answer it there with some suggestions.

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Hi all, been a long, long time - years since I perused these exalted forums.

I am thinking of kicking the tires on a new jacket, and the lighter weight vicenza HH might be the right path given that I'm now 15 years older than when I bought my last Aero and my shoulders can't carry the weight of a FQHH for a full day like I used to. I love my Stockton and Highwayman made of FQHH but I'm physically unable to wear the Stockton for more than a few hours or my shoulders start to give out.

As such, not having to break in a FQHH jacket again would be preferable. If the Vicenza was not an option I might have gone with the rolled or pre-beaten up FQHH, or maybe even goat as the weight itself is an issue.

How much lighter is the vicenza compared to FQHH? And what color selection would be the closest to the standard brown of the chromo-excel? It is interesting that there is not a straight-up brown (russet, maybe?) that is the vicenza brown equivalent to brown.

Also would need to figure out what style I'd go with, since I prefer as "civilian" and simple a look as possible.

Any of the forum's real old-timers still around? Any major changes at Aero since 2009 or so I should be aware of?

Welcome back bobjones! We (Thurston) are a dealer and custom fitter for Aero jackets here in the US and we're happy to help you with the process. Our contact is sales@thurston-bros.com.

As far as the lighter leather options, the Vicenza is an excellent choice and comes in wide array of colors. Goatskin is even a little lighter than the Vicenza (but ages differently) and there's a brand new medium weight coming out called Pinnacle Horsehide. It's a Horween product, but without the CXL stiffness and weight!

As already mentioned in the above post, you'll get more responses on a thread like Ask a Question, Get an Answer. Lots of people have experience wearing these different medium weight leathers (except for the Pinnacle) and would be happy to share, but they may not see your questions on our thread!

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
The Russet Vicenza is a perfect color/leather for an Aero A-2! The leather is a great weight to break in quickly and the Russet color will show a nice patina as it ages. Here's a size 50 18775 that we just listed on our Military Jackets page--

Aero A-2 18775 Russet Vicenza Horsehide AY2 patch pocket.jpg
Aero A-2 18775 Russet Vicenza Horsehide AY2 collar.jpg
Aero A-2 18775 Russet Vicenza Horsehide AY2 front.jpg
Aero A-2 18775 Russet Vicenza Horsehide AY2 tan cotton lining.jpg
Aero A-2 18775 Russet Vicenza Horsehide AY2 back.jpg
Aero A-2 18775 Russet Vicenza Horsehide AY2 upper back.jpg
Aero A-2 18775 Russet Vicenza Horsehide AY2 name tag.jpg

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Custom Aero Premier Highwayman in Seal Vicenza with a heavyweight Lochcarron tartan lining! The customer requested a lighter variation of the Seal color and this beautiful hide came through. We also dialed in the fit with changes to the waist width, front drop and lengths using our fit jacket process! When you are ready to get started with your order, contact us at sales@thurston-bros.com to reserve a fit jacket and samples--

Aero Premier Highwayman Seal Vicenza D9B front.jpg
Aero Premier Highwayman Seal Vicenza D9B Cunningham Hunting Ancient heavyweight tartan lining.jpg
Aero Premier Highwayman Seal Vicenza D9B back.jpg
Aero Premier Highwayman Seal Vicenza D9B tag.jpg
Aero Premier Highwayman Seal Vicenza D9B chest pocket.jpg
Aero Premier Highwayman Seal Vicenza D9B button cuff.jpg
Aero Premier Highwayman Seal Vicenza D9B yoke.jpg
Aero Premier Highwayman Seal Vicenza D9B name tag.jpg

X83

One of the Regulars
Here's something special that's just popped up on our Aero Stock page--a size 42 557XX Jean Jacket in Natural Vicenza! This is a make-it-your-own type of leather, as it imprints your activities onto the hide as you wear it over the years. Sun, rain, work and play will darken and patina the color, giving it a beautiful character. The Natural Vicenza works for a variety of Aero styles, so let us know if you'd like to create a custom order!

[/URL]

View attachment 410742 View attachment 410739 View attachment 410740 View attachment 410745 View attachment 410744 View attachment 410741 View attachment 410746 View attachment 410743
Hey Carrie are these jackets intended to stain a good amount with rain and scuffs

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Hey Carrie are these jackets intended to stain a good amount with rain and scuffs

Absolutely! It's going to absorb anthing you come into contact with--rain, weather, oils, abrasive surfaces, etc.. These marks may stand out when the jacket is new, but in short order they will start to blend together to get that desirable patina on a natural veg-tanned jacket!

X83

One of the Regulars
Absolutely! It's going to absorb anthing you come into contact with--rain, weather, oils, abrasive surfaces, etc.. These marks may stand out when the jacket is new, but in short order they will start to blend together to get that desirable patina on a natural veg-tanned jacket!
Well then problem solve thanks for your expertise it’s the only jacket that I own that’s Vicenza natural I will be sure to check out thurston site soon

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
New addition to the Military Jackets page--a very grainy Seal Vicenza Aero Bronco A-2! Detail photos show a rich and varied grain throughout the panels of the jacket. See this A-2 listing and many more on our new stock page:

Aero A-2 Bronco Seal Vicenza EY9 front.jpg
Aero A-2 Bronco Seal Vicenza EY9 BACK.jpg
Aero A-2 Bronco Seal Vicenza EY9 collar.jpg
Aero A-2 Bronco Seal Vicenza EY9 epaulet.jpg
Aero A-2 Bronco Seal Vicenza EY9 patch pocket.jpg
Aero A-2 Bronco Seal Vicenza EY9 name tag.jpg
Aero A-2 Bronco Seal Vicenza EY9 upper back.jpg

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
From our @thurstonbros IG today--

Stellar fit on a Blackened Brown Vicenza Aero Sheene!

@chemprofjspencer Just picked up this Aero x Thurston Bros Sheene and wanted to get a couple of pics up before stowing her till the fall. Way too hot and humid for this jacket now. I’m pretty pleased with the fit—still working on losing a few pounds! Looking forward to pairing this with my new Daybreak trousers by @the_rite_stuff when it cools off a bit. Thanks to @almostvintagestyle, @partial2vintage, @thedenimdentist, and @carl_murawski for inspiration and direction on choosing my first couple of leather jackets!

#aeroleather #leatherjacket #aerosheene #profbarnets #neocliffwoodboots #engineerboots #heritagestyle #heritageboots #heritagemenswear

Aero Sheene customer fit photo 11.jpg
Aero Sheene customer fit photo 10.jpg
Aero Sheene customer fit photo 9.jpg
Aero Sheene customer fit photo 8.jpg

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
This size 44 1930s Half Belt is an easy choice for any occasion! Blackened Brown Vicenza will age beautifully to show the Dark Seal color underneath on seams and cuffs. The red cotton drill lining is a classic, hard wearing color and material. This is one of those jackets that would be easy to throw on, day in, day out! See the new listing here--

Aero 1930s Half Belt Blackened Brown Vicenza G2V front.jpg
Aero 1930s Half Belt Blackened Brown Vicenza G2V red cotton drill lining.jpg
Aero 1930s Half Belt Blackened Brown Vicenza G2V back.jpg
Aero 1930s Half Belt Blackened Brown Vicenza G2V tag.jpg
Aero 1930s Half Belt Blackened Brown Vicenza G2V name tag.jpg
Aero 1930s Half Belt Blackened Brown Vicenza G2V yoke.jpg

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
This jacket is a staple of our Aero stock inventory--the Buco-style Board Racer! It's also one of our most popular custom orders, so when you are ready to start the fit jacket process, contact us at sales@thurston-bros.com to reserve one of our stock jackets for your fitting--

Aero Board Racer Blackened Brown Vicenza X8U front.jpg
Aero Board Racer Blackened Brown Vicenza X8U Bruce of Kinnaird Ancient tartan lining.jpg
Aero Board Racer Blackened Brown Vicenza X8U back.jpg
Aero Board Racer Blackened Brown Vicenza X8U tag.jpg
Aero Board Racer Blackened Brown Vicenza X8U name tag.jpg
Aero Board Racer Blackened Brown Vicenza X8U sleeve zipper.jpg
Aero Board Racer Blackened Brown Vicenza X8U yoke.jpg

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
One of our populare stock styles is this non-traditional Aero A-2 combination of Blackened Brown Vicenza with Caramel knits! It's a fresh way to wear a flight jacket, whether you are new to the style or already have an A-2 collection. We have more military jackets coming through production, so if you don't see your desired contract/leather/size, just contact us for more information!

Aero Bronco A-2 Blackened Brown Vicenza CU6 front.jpg
Aero Bronco A-2 Blackened Brown Vicenza CU6 tan cotton lining.jpg
Aero Bronco A-2 Blackened Brown Vicenza CU6 back.jpg
Aero Bronco A-2 Blackened Brown Vicenza CU6 epaulet.jpg
Aero Bronco A-2 Blackened Brown Vicenza CU6 name tag.jpg
Aero Bronco A-2 Blackened Brown Vicenza CU6 shoulder.jpg
Aero Bronco A-2 Blackened Brown Vicenza CU6 lower back.jpg

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
The Aero 557XX Jean Jacket is a fall-ready jacket with a soft Troy blanket lining to start the cooler season and the perfect fit for a bit of layering as the temperature drops! We keep the 557XX in stock in sizes 38 through 44 and can fit for any size on a custom build. Contact us at sales@thurston-bros.com when you are ready to get fitted for your custom Aero order--

Aero 557XX Jean Jacket Type 3 Blue Vicenza VT6 front.jpg
Aero 557XX Jean Jacket Type 3 Blue Vicenza VT6 Troy blanket lining.jpg
Aero 557XX Jean Jacket Type 3 Blue Vicenza VT6 back.jpg
Aero 557XX Jean Jacket Type 3 Blue Vicenza VT6 chest pocket.jpg
Aero 557XX Jean Jacket Type 3 Blue Vicenza VT6 cuff.jpg
Aero 557XX Jean Jacket Type 3 Blue Vicenza VT6 yoke.jpg

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
The Aero Shackleton waistcoat is an elegant way to spruce up your fall wardrobe! It can be worn over just about any type of shirt and it fits neatly under a jacket. We have Shackletons in stock in sizes 40 to 46, but we can also fit for any size! Contact us at sales@thurston-bros.com to start your order for the Shackleton--

Aero Shackleton Black Vicenza G8V front.jpg
Aero Shackleton Black Vicenza G8V black cotton drill lining.jpg
Aero Shackleton Black Vicenza G8V back.jpg
Aero Shackleton Black Vicenza G8V tag.jpg
Aero Shackleton Black Vicenza G8V flap pocket.jpg
Aero Shackleton Black Vicenza G8V name tag.jpg

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
An exquisite example of Seal Vicenza--lots of varied grain and a beautiful color that will develop with wear! This custom Aero Cafe Racer is on the way to its new home in Florida. Our fit jacket process was used to make changes to the sleeve length, body length and waist taper. When you are ready to start your custom order, contact us at sales@thurston-bros.com to reserve a fit jacket and leather samples--

Aero Cafe Racer Seal Vicenza Horsehide front.jpg
Aero Cafe Racer Seal Vicenza Horsehide olive cotton drill lining.jpg
Aero Cafe Racer Seal Vicenza Horsehide back.jpg
Aero Cafe Racer Seal Vicenza Horsehide tag.jpg
Aero Cafe Racer Seal Vicenza Horsehide chest pocket.jpg
Aero Cafe Racer Seal Vicenza Horsehide name tag.jpg
Aero Cafe Racer Seal Vicenza Horsehide sleeve zipper.jpg
Aero Cafe Racer Seal Vicenza Horsehide shoulder gusset.jpg

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
We're adding new stock to our Military Jackets page this week, starting with a stellar example of the Unknown Maker A-2 in Dark Seal Vicenza! Browse the listings here and watch the top row for new jacket listings--

Aero Unknown Maker 1756 Dark Seal Vicenza EJ6 front.jpg
Aero Unknown Maker 1756 Dark Seal Vicenza EJ6 mustard cotton lining.jpg
Aero Unknown Maker 1756 Dark Seal Vicenza EJ6 back.jpg
Aero Unknown Maker 1756 Dark Seal Vicenza EJ6 epaulet.jpg
Aero Unknown Maker 1756 Dark Seal Vicenza EJ6 name tag.jpg
Aero Unknown Maker 1756 Dark Seal Vicenza EJ6 upper back.jpg

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Here's something special we just added to the Military Jackets page--a size 42 Aero AN-J-3 in Blackened Brown Vicenza! The leather is spectactular and the wine collar sateen lining is the perfect choice for the style and for durability. See the new additions here--

Aero AN-J-3 Blackened Brown Vicenza front.jpg
Aero AN-J-3 Blackened Brown Vicenza wine cotton sateen lining.jpg
Aero AN-J-3 Blackened Brown Vicenza back.jpg
Aero AN-J-3 Blackened Brown Vicenza collar latch.jpg
Aero AN-J-3 Blackened Brown Vicenza name tag.jpg
Aero AN-J-3 Blackened Brown Vicenza gusset.jpg

Last edited:

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Layer up this fall with the Aero Shackleton! You can snag an in-stock vest off our Aero Stock page or get fitted for a custom build...contact us at sales@thurston-bros.com to get started!

Aero Shackleton Dark Seal Vicenza SU3 front.jpg
Aero Shackleton Dark Seal Vicenza SU3 brown cotton lining.jpg
Aero Shackleton Dark Seal Vicenza SU3 back.jpg
Aero Shackleton Dark Seal Vicenza SU3 tag.jpg
Aero Shackleton Dark Seal Vicenza SU3 chest pocket.jpg
Aero Shackleton Dark Seal Vicenza SU3 name tag.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner