Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thurston Italian Vicenza Horsehide Full Grain Veg.-Tanned Horsehide for Aero Jackets

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
We just listed this Italian jacket...TFL members may want to take a look:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171484057416?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Maxwell Front 1.jpg

Aero Maxwell 2.jpg

Maxwell tag.JPG

Mark

Practically Family
Carrie, I have a BK russet veg tanned jacket on order. How might your veg tanned leather differ from BK who rate theirs as amongst the best available. Just curious as this will be first venture into veg tanned leather. Any tips on its care would be most welcome. An area I am quite nervous about given claims about shrinking and staining and so on. Thanks.

schitzo

Suspended
Carrie, I have a BK russet veg tanned jacket on order. How might your veg tanned leather differ from BK who rate theirs as amongst the best available. Just curious as this will be first venture into veg tanned leather. Any tips on its care would be most welcome. An area I am quite nervous about given claims about shrinking and staining and so on. Thanks.

I don't suppose Carrie is at liberty to comment on leather provided by a company other than her own and to which she has no access. That said, I have heard that the BK Liberty HH and the aero Vicenza are sourced from the same place. And since I first voiced this I've not heard from either party that it isn't so..

Hence I'm assuming they're either the same leather or are at least very similar. The tips BK Andy gave (before he relinquished membership here) if I remember correctly, were to avoid hot water treatment. He said it can take rain no problem, and if it does get wet just allow it to dry out naturally

Mark

Practically Family
Thanks Schitzo, BK Andy told me their veg tanned leather is sprayed with a top coat that protects the leather, however, Andy says this top coat will eventually break down with wear. He did not say what will happen after this?
I thought perhaps Carrie and BK's sourced their leather from same if not similar places as BK's victory looks similar to the pics Carrie showed above.

schitzo

Suspended
Thanks Schitzo, BK Andy told me their veg tanned leather is sprayed with a top coat that protects the leather, however, Andy says this top coat will eventually break down with wear. He did not say what will happen after this?
I thought perhaps Carrie and BK's sourced their leather from same if not similar places as BK's victory looks similar to the pics Carrie showed above.

My understanding is it's Vicenza and Liberty that are the same/very similar. Victory HH is touted by BK as a cut above these two. On the topic of Vicenza - which is what this thread is about - it's good news to see black is now an option. IMO an aero original Hercules should be black, and one of those in black Vicenza would make for a top drawer jacket

Edward

Bartender

lol I can imagine (re bolded part).... at least, Andy F will tell you it's the best hide in the world ever right up until they switch to something else, and then the new hide will be the best thing ever, and the previous stuff will be rubbish! lol (I nearly bought a BK house A2 a couple of years ago when they blew them out, but Andy managed to put me off, in part by the sales patter which implicitly, in my mind, ran down their own old product.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Of the Italian hides I've handled, the seal and the russet were to my the nicest. The black's fine, don't get me wrong, but the other two have real character and colour variation.

Otter

One Too Many
lol I can imagine (re bolded part).... at least, Andy F will tell you it's the best hide in the world ever right up until they switch to something else, and then the new hide will be the best thing ever, and the previous stuff will be rubbish! lol (I nearly bought a BK house A2 a couple of years ago when they blew them out, but Andy managed to put me off, in part by the sales patter which implicitly, in my mind, ran down their own old product.

Did anything ever come of the super secret "We are being bought over by someone really big but I can't tell you" story? That was what finally convinced me not to buy my long planned M422 from them.

GregO

One of the Regulars
Of the Italian hides I've handled, the seal and the russet were to my the nicest. The black's fine, don't get me wrong, but the other two have real character and colour variation.

Agreed. I just got samples of the Italian hides - the seal and russet are exceptional. I'm placing my order for a seal board racer today (as soon as I decide whether to go with brass or nickel zips - quite the dilemma I have). Honestly, if I was going to do something in black with Aero, I would probably lean to the black jerky horse, rather than the Italian black.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
The indoor pics Thurston takes of the hides are nice, but those outdoor pics they posted of the russet a few pages back really justify the extra $200.

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate

Hi Mark,

We don't like to give care advice on purchases from other manufacturers...we hope you understand...

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
My understanding is it's Vicenza and Liberty that are the same/very similar. Victory HH is touted by BK as a cut above these two. On the topic of Vicenza - which is what this thread is about - it's good news to see black is now an option. IMO an aero original Hercules should be black, and one of those in black Vicenza would make for a top drawer jacket

We haven't seen one yet, but an original Hercules in black Vicenza would be very nice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo