Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thurston Italian Vicenza Horsehide Full Grain Veg.-Tanned Horsehide for Aero Jackets

devilish

A-List Customer
That leather looks so nice it almost makes me want to break my 'No Aero' rule. Nicely done on getting that made. Beautiful.

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Full Grain Horsehide
Vegetable-tanned
Traditional Tuscan method of slow tanning (pit tanning) using only natural vegetable extract
Thickness: 1,1 – 1,2 mm
Color: Dark Seal (samples are available...please email)

SealItalianFQHH709_zpsad057815.jpg

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
We need to take some more photos, but the Russet Vicenza Full Grain Vegetable Tanned Horsehide has come through quite nice...the leather has a rugged look and will age quite differently than Aero's CXL hides. What this means is that one can expect it to darken rather than lighten over time.

More to come soon...

Full Grain Horsehide
Vegetable-tanned
Traditional Tuscan method of slow tanning (pit tanning) using only natural vegetable extract
Color: Russet

ItalianHorshideRussetTeasershot_zps6254783d.jpg

devilish

A-List Customer
Carrie, what would be the chances of having a Shackleton waistcoat made out of one of these new leathers? What might the cost be? Thanks.

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Carrie, what would be the chances of having a Shackleton waistcoat made out of one of these new leathers? What might the cost be? Thanks.

The Shackleton in Vicenza Italian Horsehide is $599.99 USD. It would be a stunner!

Here are some closeups for the Russet Vicenza. We've specified this lightly marbled, but we have another type that's less so... This jacket is quite nice!

Full Grain Horsehide
Vegetable-tanned
Color: Russet

RussetItalianHorsehideTag_zps52d5a60c.jpg

AeroItalianHorsehideRussetCollar_zps241953c7.jpg

AeroRussetItalianHorsehideBelly_zps82746583.jpg

AeroRussetItalianHorsehideShoulder_zps6d5e3052.jpg

AeroItalianHorsehideRussetSide_zpsbcd72551.jpg

AeroItalianHorsehideRussetBack_zps3a296be2.jpg

AeroItalianHorsehideRussetBack2_zpsea3a8ec3.jpg

AeroItalianHorsehideRussetBack3_zpsbbb9cd67.jpg

AeroItalianHorsehideRussetpocket_zpsefab4def.jpg

AeroRussetItalianHorsehideLowerBack_zpsdfdf3457.jpg

Last edited:

Chi-Town Co

Familiar Face
The grain of the Italian HH looks absolutely fantastic. Thanks for all the great photos. I was wondering what label Aero would put on a jacket with leather supplied from another source..

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
The grain of the Italian HH looks absolutely fantastic. Thanks for all the great photos. I was wondering what label Aero would put on a jacket with leather supplied from another source..

Hi Chi-Town Co,

The standard Aero tags are used...keep in mind that a Veg.-Tanned jacket will age a bit differently...here are some examples from Tanner Goods that show how Vegetable Tanned products patina and age

VegetablePatina_zps4136e293.jpg

Brettafett

One Too Many
We have access to Horween's Vermont Espresso said:
Carrie, the Italian HH looks amazing. However, I wanted to ask... Doyou have pics of the Horween Vermont Espresso? You say you have access to this, is there an additional cost for this hide?
I am actually vacillating over a jacket, mainly due to hides. I am used to A-2s mid weight HH and would like a civvi, but don't feel 'great' about the heavier, stiffer FQHHs. Neither am I a fan of Aero's limited mid weight HHs. The russet jerky is very 'red' and the seal is pretty dark. Their old smooth russet HH was a lovely chocolate brown shade, yet lacked any 'character'... Nuts.
So, besides paying more for the italian hides, I am wondering about alternatives.

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Carrie, the Italian HH looks amazing. However, I wanted to ask... Doyou have pics of the Horween Vermont Espresso? You say you have access to this, is there an additional cost for this hide?
I am actually vacillating over a jacket, mainly due to hides. I am used to A-2s mid weight HH and would like a civvi, but don't feel 'great' about the heavier, stiffer FQHHs. Neither am I a fan of Aero's limited mid weight HHs. The russet jerky is very 'red' and the seal is pretty dark. Their old smooth russet HH was a lovely chocolate brown shade, yet lacked any 'character'... Nuts.
So, besides paying more for the italian hides, I am wondering about alternatives.

We're sourcing from one of the Italian Tanneries that Horween sources their Vermont Espresso from...however, we've cut out the middle-man so to speak...therefore, we can offer veg.-tanned at a more reasonable price.

If you don't want to pay the $200 upcharge for Italian, we do have a mid-weight red fox Chrome-tanned leather that might be a good choice...here's a photo--

Aero Red Fox Tag smaller version.jpg

Last edited:

Brettafett

One Too Many
We're sourcing from one of the Italian Tanneries that Horween sources their Vermont Espresso from...however, we've cut out the middle-man so to speak...therefore, we can offer veg.-tanned at a more reasonable price.

If you don't want to pay the $200 upcharge for Italian, we do have a mid-weight red fox Chrome-tanned leather that might be a good choice...here's a photo--

View attachment 16172

I'd prefer a more neutral brown colour tbh. Just not a fan of the 'reddy' colours. From the limited pics I have seen of the Vermont Espresso, it looks good. The Italian russet and seal are great.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I think the russet would be right up your street, Brett. Beautiful grain, but not too ruddy, and great colour variation.

Brettafett

One Too Many
I think you may be right. Cost more, but if the jacket works, it'll be for life. Us 'loungers' are seldom happy with 'good enough'... And its the search for 'perfect' that seems to cost more than the jackets...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB