Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thurston Italian Vicenza Horsehide Full Grain Veg.-Tanned Horsehide for Aero Jackets

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
This Aero 38-1711-P Type A-2 in Vicenza Full Grain Vegetable Tanned Horsehide turned out really nice! This is a very nice fit jacket for our customers!

Full Grain Horsehide
Vegetable Tanned
Traditional Tuscan method of slow tanning (pit tanning) using only natural vegetable extract
Thickness: 1,1 – 1,2 mm
Color: Seal

Aero Seal A-2 IH17 Smaller.jpg

Aero Seal A-2 IH 15 Smaller.jpg

Aero Seal A-2 IH 14 Smaller.jpg

Aero A-2 Seal IH Zipper Smaller.jpg

Aero Seal A-2 IH 13 Smaller.jpg

Aero Seal A-2 IH12 Smaller.jpg

Aero Seal A-2 IH11 Smaller.jpg

Aero A-2 Seal IH 10 Smaller.jpg

Aero Seal A-2 IH 9 Smaller.jpg

Aero Seal A-2 IH 8 Smaller.jpg

Aero Seal A-2 IH 7 Smaller.jpg

Aero Seal A-2 IH 6 Smaller.jpg

Aero Seal A-2 IH 5 Smaller.jpg

Aero Seal A-2 IH 4 Smaller.jpg

Aero Seal A-2 IH 3 Smaller.jpg

Aero Seal A-2 IH 2 Smaller.jpg

Aero Seal A-2 IH 1 Smaller.jpg

Attachments

• Aero A-2 Seal IH 14 Smaller.jpg
    Aero A-2 Seal IH 14 Smaller.jpg
    469.8 KB · Views: 2,411
Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I saw this hide at Aero last week. Beautiful stuff; given what Murray said it costs them per hide, it's little wonder there has to be an upcharge for using this one!

AustinTX

One of the Regulars
I've paraphrased the text below from a good article on Veg.-tanned leathers...in our opinion the rain isn't a problem for someone interested in a veg.-tanned jacket...

As most of you know, vegetable tanned leather is tanned without the use of Chromium salts in the traditional way. Most leather products bought in shops today are chrome-tanned. Veg.-tanned leather will change quite a bit over time, developing a 'patina' of its own. It may stain when wet, and rain can produce a dappled appearance on veg tans that may stay after the jacket dries. Like your skin, the leather will 'tan' over time getting slowly darker. Your jacket will also be vulnerable to marks and oil from your hands. All of this is part of what makes owning a vegetable tanned leather jacket unique though. It will age with you and will last for many years given a little care and attention every now and then. While the rain and sun may change the appearance of your jacket, it will not damage the leather if treated properly. In fact, it is the aging properties of vegetable tanned leather that makes it so special and produces a jacket that will never be repeated.

We performed a brief test this morning, sprinkling water and allowing it to sit on the Russet hide...the water soaked in leaving a dark spot, but when the leather dried (within about 4 minutes), there was no evidence of marking and/or staining to the leather...

Below is a photo of the darkening that occurs with Veg.-tanned leathers.... You can find these patina shots all over the internet.

Vegtannedpatina_zpsf091f799.jpg

Carrie-

Which leather is the item on the left?

mowgli222

One of the Regulars
Carrie.. Not sure if this has been asked before. How does the thickness and the weight of these leathers compare to the Horween FQHH?

devilish

A-List Customer
Just paid the deposit on a Shackleton waistcoat in the seal version of this new Italian HH. Now the wait until October begins.

I hate to go against the grain 'ahem' here but I feel that the Horween FQHH is too stiff most of the time. The majority of jackets I see in it look like they are wearing the owner not the other way around. This is one of the big reasons I'd never gone for an Aero before. This new Vicenza HH seems to me it'll be a little more forgiving to one's form. Sometime in October I'll now be able to find out.

Last edited:

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Just paid the deposit on a Shackleton waistcoat in the seal version of this new Italian HH. Now the wait until October begins.

I hate to go against the grain 'ahem' here but I feel that the Horween FQHH is too stiff most of the time. The majority of jackets I see in it look like they are wearing the owner not the other way around. This is one of the big reasons I'd never gone for an Aero before. This new Vicenza HH seems to me it'll be a little more forgiving to one's form. Sometime in October I'll now be able to find out.

Order is finalized!

Here's an Aero Plainsman that we ran out of light photographing today...we'll take more photos tomorrow before we ship...

Aero Plainsman Seal Front 1 Smaller.jpg

Brettafett

One Too Many
Wow. Selling me fast!

Carrie, if and when possible, can you photo a seal and a russet Vicenza jacket together? It would be great to see colour comparison in the same light of actual made-up jackets.

Comments on the below also appreciated:
Do the Plainsman, Wayfarer, Dustbowl and Highwayman each have their own unique collar shapes? Or are they all the same collar pattern on different bodies?
Which collar, in your opinion is the larger and which would be the most retro-styled? Thanks...

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Congrats!

I hate to go against the grain 'ahem' here but I feel that the Horween FQHH is too stiff most of the time. The majority of jackets I see in it look like they are wearing the owner not the other way around. This is one of the big reasons I'd never gone for an Aero before.

Exactly, and hence the reason I never previously ordered an Aero jacket notwithstanding the great quality and extensive design options. Ironically, I was sent a Horween FQHH tester jacket to use for purposes of ordering my Vicenza HH jacket -- for me, personally, it was far too heavy and essentially unwearable, thus confirming my prior opinion (the extra weight is likely desirable for motorcycle riders, of which I am not).

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In an odd twist of fate, I think Andy/Bill Kelso deserves marginal/tangential credit for focusing attention on the virtues of Italian HHs and motivating others (e.g., Insurrection and GW) to consider and explore the option. Eastman has been using Italian HH (Warhorse) for a few years, but others did not follow suit. Then, Andy/Bill Kelso aggressively promoted the attributes of Italian HH here and elsewhere, and attracted the attention of many consumers. Kudos to Carrie/Insurrection and GW for taking note and expanding their options to meet the growing interest. Separately, kudos for the respectful manner with which you have marketed your new leather, devoid of disparaging comparisons to other leathers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB