Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To Epaulette or not to Epaulette an Aero J107/106

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
unless the stud is real heavy, or pierced through both the jacket and the epaulette I doubt it will do anything, I think you can just wet the epaulette, wear the jacket, wear a backpack over your jacket and do your daily activities until it's tamed down for good.

Edward

Bartender
The only difference the stud makes is that you can lift up the epaulette to fit something like a bag strap underneath it.

LouisBailie

Banned
Buy/order from Aero in Scotland using USD and get the advantage of the strong USD against the GBP...GBP has fallen from about 1.70 down to 1.48 or so, so far.

Damo

A-List Customer
Buy/order from Aero in Scotland using USD and get the advantage of the strong USD against the GBP...GBP has fallen from about 1.70 down to 1.48 or so, so far.

Thanks for the suggestion. Does aero offer custom fits like insurrection?

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Bootlegger has epaulettes.

The picture on the aero site looks like it has epaulettes but my recently ordered jacket through Thurston did not come with them. I actually forgot to specify whether I wanted them or not so I'm assuming the standard bootlegger (at least through Thurston) is without them....

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Dragging this topic back up again as we have a lot of Bootlegger/D-pocket/J106 etc fans around these parts now.

Just so it's clear, here's what Google has to say: Epaulette -- an ornamental shoulder piece on an item of clothing, typically on the coat or jacket of a military uniform.

I picked up a J106 off a FL member who had barely started the break-in process. It does not have the Epaulettes on it, the way it was ordered. I wear a backpack into work every day, and frankly, I find that the Epaulettes tend to pop off their snaps on most of my other jackets if indeed they are only snapped, not sewn down.
IMG_4797.JPG

This jacket is a lot more broken in now.

Then I ordered a J23 from Stuart at Lost Worlds. This jacket is over 3 lbs heavier, many times stiffer, and has the Epaulettes that are so desired, with even a small stud on each end (clearance lights perhaps?) This is the first jacket I can wear a backpack over the Epaulettes and they do not un-snap readily when removing the backpack.
DSC_0098.JPG

What do you all prefer? I will not be cutting these off my J23... :)

Fonzie

One Too Many
I never really saw the point of epaulettes in cross-zip jackets.
They look good and make a practical sense in A-2’s and military jackets but I’m not sure what’s the purpose on motorcycle style jackets?

IMHO it looks cleaner and more proportioned, less cluttered without them.
There’s enough bells and whistles going on already with all the zippers, pocket coin, D-pocket, etc.
The Ridley is a prime example of aesthetically proportioned D-pocket and hasn’t got epaulettes, maybe that’s why it’s so popular around here lately, but that’s just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Always nice when an old thread gets bumped.

Loving that LW!
I'm not an expert on any of the cross-zip styles at all, but as someone pointed out above, epaulettes serve to provide for the placement and easy removal of rank insignia on military clothes. They also serve to secure a Sam Browne belt shoulder strap, worn to alleviate the weight of a pistol belt hanging at your waist (this means that the belt can be worn a little looser, since it won't slip down over your waist). A looser belt means that you can sit down comfortably without having to loosen it first.

Since many golden era US P.D. uniforms featured epaulettes and Sam Browne belts, I'd suggest that many police departments chose similar features in the leather jacket designs that they chose for their officers.

OTOH, the Cal Leathers police cross-zip that James Dean wore had no epaulettes, so I could be way off.

mendelboaz

One Too Many
In my opinion, a Buco or Perfecto styled jacket doesn't look right without the epaulettes. I think they look very cool, in fact. Epaulettes are simply a part of that style, just like how knit cuffs and cargo pockets are a part of the A-2. If you don't like them, go with another style jacket. Don't mess with a classic design.

If 'less is more' is your thing (which I can completely understand), then get a cafe racer and be done with it. Even without the epaulettes, the J-2x is still a bells and whistles design, what with the crosszip, belt, snaps, D-pocket and so forth. If you want a 'less is more' crosszip jacket, why not look into an Aero Bootlegger or 1930s Aviator jacket style?

In my opinion, a Buco or Perfecto styled jacket doesn't look right without the epaulettes. I think they look very cool, in fact. Epaulettes are simply a part of that style, just like how knit cuffs and cargo pockets are a part of the A-2. If you don't like them, go with another style jacket. Don't mess with a classic design.

If 'less is more' is your thing (which I can completely understand), then get a cafe racer and be done with it. Even without the epaulettes, the J-2x is still a bells and whistles design, what with the crosszip, belt, snaps, D-pocket and so forth. If you want a 'less is more' crosszip jacket, why not look into an Aero Bootlegger or 1930s Aviator jacket style?

I agree. If the jacket is loaded with all of the bells and whistles, imo it should have the epaulettes. Now, if you go with a basic D pocket-only sans belts, studs, etc. then it does look cleaner without. No happy medium here for me, go all the way or keep it real simple/clean. My next jacket will be something along the lines of the LW J-24.

Of course, no matter what you do I will probably drool over pictures of the jacket and say to myself "I was full of it on this post, it looks great."

Edward

Bartender
Always nice when an old thread gets bumped.

Loving that LW!
I'm not an expert on any of the cross-zip styles at all, but as someone pointed out above, epaulettes serve to provide for the placement and easy removal of rank insignia on military clothes. They also serve to secure a Sam Browne belt shoulder strap, worn to alleviate the weight of a pistol belt hanging at your waist (this means that the belt can be worn a little looser, since it won't slip down over your waist). A looser belt means that you can sit down comfortably without having to loosen it first.

Since many golden era US P.D. uniforms featured epaulettes and Sam Browne belts, I'd suggest that many police departments chose similar features in the leather jacket designs that they chose for their officers.

OTOH, the Cal Leathers police cross-zip that James Dean wore had no epaulettes, so I could be way off.

The Sam Brown belt was originally designed in the late 19th century by a serving British Army officer in India. This guy had lost his left-arm, so was unable to steady the scabbard on his belt as he drew his sword. By experimenting with a second belt worn over the shoulder, he was abled to stabilise the sword frog. It also had the added bonus that, when running into battle, the scabbard didn't have to be held in place, so it was quickly adopted by two-armed men. It was also later worn with pistol holsters replacing the sword (and with both for a brief time, which probably prompted the development of the double-shoulder-strap version). Pretty much disappeared from combat from the end of WW2, though still feature in dress uniforms across the world, and with various police forces.

Powerband

Practically Family
...If the jacket is loaded with all of the bells and whistles, imo it should have the epaulettes.

By bells and whistles, to what elements are you referring? Do snap-buttons and zippers count? I’m just gathering opinions as I decide on a custom Ridley D-pocket. Thx.

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
Talking about functionality, what is the purpose of snap buttons on the front beltloops on police/cross zip jackets (as opposed to beltloops on say an Irvin jacket that don't have snap buttons)?
I am talking about jackets that have the belt straps installed (not removable).

Big J

Call Me a Cab
@Edward, interesting information. Doesn't explain use of SB belt with pistol holsters rather than swords though. And why adopted by police forces who never wore swords.
Incidentally, Hugo Boss did away with the SB belt on German Army uniforms by installing two metal hooks on the of the jacket to support the weight of the belt.

@shadowrider, I'm speculating that the snaps on the jacket belt loops allow the officer to remove/attach his gun belt without having to remove the pistol holster, mag pouches, handcuff pouches etc from the belt to thread it through the jacket loops. Must be much faster.

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
And why adopted by police forces who never wore swords.

I don’t know about other countries but I know that at least English and Swedish police officers used to carry swords back in the day.

8825dc3caae1868cae22b2930caaa1dd.jpg

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

By bells and whistles, to what elements are you referring? Do snap-buttons and zippers count? I’m just gathering opinions as I decide on a custom Ridley D-pocket. Thx.

I was thinking the difference between something like a Vanson Commando, which is minimalist like the Ridley, and a full blown J-23/24, especially the 24, from Lost Worlds. I think the latter needs the epaulets. I really like the Ridley and considered purchasing one a year or two ago. I ride so do prefer the snap buttons, regardless of jacket. Now the question becomes if you want the snaps exposed or hidden beneath the collar/lapel. It really never ends.

That second paragraph in the above reply is my response. No idea how I jacked that up, but i did.

Powerband

Practically Family
JMax—got it. It so happens I’m getting a Ridley custom made right now and probably will delete the epaulettes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner