Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To Epaulette or not to Epaulette an Aero J107/106

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I'm not too big on epaulettes. Sometimes they sit too high and look like the harbour bridge. some of them look OK, but for me, even though I get mc jackets purely to ride in , not to wear down the pub etc, I don't really like them. Personal choice, can look good if done properly, just not for me.

Damo

A-List Customer
The purpose of epaulettes was to hold your gloves when you weren't wearing them. I've always had a particular soft spot for the Schott jacket with the single star on them. Something dashing about them. Besides, you never know when some animal's going to insult your ancestors and you'll need the glove to smack his insolent face and dare him to the field of honor.

Great reply!!! It made me laugh and I also got a strange look from the misses.

Damo

A-List Customer
I'm not too big on epaulettes. Sometimes they sit too high and look like the harbour bridge. some of them look OK, but for me, even though I get mc jackets purely to ride in , not to wear down the pub etc, I don't really like them. Personal choice, can look good if done properly, just not for me.

Yes, i see this harbour bridge often and am not a fan of it...

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
in this particular style, I vote for WITH epaulettes, since it already has huge belt buckle, asymmetrical zipper, metal buttons and rivets all around the jacket, when you pick that style, then better to go in full package. There is no point to clean up the shoulder.

But, it you also omit the belt, and buttons, and perhaps also make the main zipper covered, or make the jacket longer, then no epaulettes is a good option.

Damo

A-List Customer
Thanks for all the replies here!! it is much appreciated and you guys are always very knowledgable.

Me thinks the way to go is a brown 106 sans epaulettes. That D-pocket just looks so nice. I'm sure this decision will change the instant I see someone posting a great looking non d-pocket leather jacket but in the mean time my decision is firm ;-).

The next question becomes steer or fqhh? From what i've read on here the steer colour ages really well and its not as much of a break in. I don't have a fqhh so it may be nice to have a different type of leather.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
You won't regret going with Aero's brown FQHH - has fantastic colour depth and character.

Last edited:

Damo

A-List Customer
in this particular style, I vote for WITH epaulettes, since it already has huge belt buckle, asymmetrical zipper, metal buttons and rivets all around the jacket, when you pick that style, then better to go in full package. There is no point to clean up the shoulder.

But, it you also omit the belt, and buttons, and perhaps also make the main zipper covered, or make the jacket longer, then no epaulettes is a good option.

I do wonder if adding a little bit of length would rid the "that jacket looks to short" problem but I just heard my tank shiver with the thought of that belt buckle getting closer...

Damo

A-List Customer
I say don't mess with a classic design; either go with a J106 or J107 with epaulettes if you think you can pull off the moto look, or go for an Aero Ridley/Bootlegger or Vanson CHP jacket if you want a simpler design sans epaulettes.

IMO, you should wear whatever jacket you feel like wearing for whatever occasion, without putting too much thought into 'what function the jacket was originally designed for'. I wear my J106, HWM and Vanson Model B anywhere whenever I feel like it ;)

Mendel,

Hows your two tone looking? What hide did you get? How's the break in going? Feel like you've been quiet on the new jacket front. Planning anything?

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I've thought of this in detail since first reading it this morning, and I can't really decide. The epaulets might give the jacket more of a motorcycle vibe than not having them though.

No need to imagine an A2 without them. Hundreds of epaulette-less A2 style jackets have been made over the years. Often patch pockets replaced with hand warmers as well. If kept trim that style can come across as a neat even more tailored appearance to many.
HD

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I don't like epaulettes, but since the jacket you've chosen has a big spread collar, prominent studs and a large belt, why pick on the epaulettes?

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
No need to imagine an A2 without them. Hundreds of epaulette-less A2 style jackets have been made over the years. Often patch pockets replaced with hand warmers as well. If kept trim that style can come across as a neat even more tailored appearance to many.
HD
10k posts HD, congrats. Do you get a key ring or something around here for that milestone?

10k posts HD, congrats. Do you get a key ring or something around here for that milestone?

Sometimes I wonder how come you guys have this many posts but then I remember Outerwear isn't the only forum on TFL. I need to get out more.

Damo

A-List Customer
I'll be going thru insurrection for this purchase so I imagine the fit jacket will be a stock 106 with epaulettes. Once I have that bad boy to try I'm hoping it should be easy to figure it out; 106 or 107, length, epaulettes etc...
I'm really hoping by the time my tax return comes in the CDN dollar will be worth more.. Thanks again for all the help

Edward

Bartender
Some jackets in this generic MC style do come without epaulettes - most notable the Lewis Lightning, among others in the Lewis range. To my eye, the Buco styles look wrong without them, but that's to personal taste. If you just don't like epaulettes for whatever reason, fine, though if you're trying to make the jacket look less like a motorcycle jacket somehow (some folks have an issue with wearing an mc style when not riding, which always amuses me when they say this while wearing an A2; I don't care, I'll wear it anywhere and I've not been on a bike in nearly seventeen years), I think you've chosen the wrong style to begin with.

I say don't mess with a classic design; either go with a J106 or J107 with epaulettes if you think you can pull off the moto look, or go for an Aero Ridley/Bootlegger or Vanson CHP jacket if you want a simpler design sans epaulettes.

The Bootlegger has epaulettes. Same style as the A2: stitched down both ends, lie flat when the jacket is properly fitted. If you were really fussy a bout them, though, I should imagine they could be eliminated much more easily than those on a Buco style.

IMO, you should wear whatever jacket you feel like wearing for whatever occasion, without putting too much thought into 'what function the jacket was originally designed for'. I wear my J106, HWM and Vanson Model B anywhere whenever I feel like it ;)

Just right.

Last edited:

mendelboaz

One Too Many
The Bootlegger has epaulettes. Same style as the A2: stitched down both ends, lie flat when the jacket is properly fitted. If you were really fussy a bout them, though, I should imagine they could be eliminated much more easily than those on a Buco style.

Funny, I somehow imagined the Bootlegger (and the Ridley, at that) had no epaulettes. But indeed for those styles, if you don't like epaulettes, the epaulettes would be more easily eliminated than on a Buco style jacket. The epaulettes are just a part of the jacket, a part of the look and overall 'attitude'. That said, my Langlitz Columbia had shoulder pads instead of epaulettes and it's a very interesting look. But then again, that wasn't a Buco and a very different kind of jacket to begin with :D.

Last edited:

mendelboaz

One Too Many
Mendel,

Hows your two tone looking? What hide did you get? How's the break in going? Feel like you've been quiet on the new jacket front. Planning anything?

It's looking great, Damien! I should wear it more often, as is the case with all my 3 jackets. The break-in is going swell, some grain starting to pop up here and there. Here are two monstrously craptastic selfies for you, I'll try to snap some better pics tonight :).

I have been rather absent lately, but don't worry: I've got a new jacket and a new pair of boots coming real soon!! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner