Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To Tilt or Not to Tilt...That is the Question!

Fredthecat

One of the Regulars
Very good observations Art. Behavioral scientists would approve.

I wear my hats straight and on TOP of my head not the back. Just the way they seem to fit. And always did part my hair in the middle.

Never did get the tilt, but then I don't get baseball caps on backwards either.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
maff2k said:
Mine sits quite tightly, how do others sit? Can you get a little finger between your head and the hat? Does this affect the tilt?

Obviously, it shouldn't sit TOO tightly. You want to be able to pull it off with slight effort but you don't want it to blow off with every gust of wind. Your hair cut may have a little to do with it; less hair may loosen it slightly.

When I was a little younger, while picking out a cowboy hat, the guy fitting me suggested to push the front of the sweatband against my forehead and let the rest of the hat down. He advised I should be able to nod my head and the hat should follow, it should sit about an 1/8 of an inch above my ears and I should be able to use one finger and flick the brim upwards. If all applied, that was a good fit.

I'm not so sure about the flicking (although I see his point) but for the most part, I wear a hat I can fit squarely, comfortably on my head.

I'm between sizes (7 3/8-7 1/2) so if I wanted to wear my hats with a tilt, I would probably have to wear a 7 1/2.

Fridaynight

Familiar Face
I tend to tilt it to the left, and I'm right handed. It's usually intentional, I like how it looks with a bit of a tilt better.
The crazier I'm feeling, the more it tilts. lol

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
I CANNOT get a hat level on my head without standing in front of a mirror. I believe the greatest percentage of hat-wearers I see in old movies and photographs have their hat cocked off to one side or another. I think it's just the way it was done!

Topper

Vendor
Would say personal preference, many various ins-and-outs with fashion and styles over the decades, nay centuries.

Personally I tilt only at times when wearing my smoking cap, fez, Glengarry Cap, boater or my trilbowler

I don't tilt my: Topper, Bowler, Pith, Trilby Panama, Optimo Panama, Tweed flat cap, tweed shire hat, Balmoral, Akubra, Ushenka or my riding helmet.

akaBruno

Suspended
I started tilting my hat when I was told my Daddy did. I'm right handed but I tilt left. My Daddy was right handed and tilted right but (he had no choice) he didn't have a left hand. :D

BRUNO

Topper

Vendor
Fatdutchman said:
I believe the greatest percentage of hat-wearers I see in old movies and photographs have their hat cocked off to one side or another. I think it's just the way it was done!

Possibly due to the angle shot forthe camera? ... Thus can see the actors face better...

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Cocking the hat ads seasoning to the look.
Straight on is fine too... depends on my mood.

Tilt is fine for a funeral if that's how you wear your hat. I don't see a problem with it. I see the hat straight on at times as looking more awkward.

DeckardBowl-vi.jpg
1523675653_l.jpg

I tend to lean it to the right as a matter of that being the way I just put on my hat. It's not a concious thing.

l_0912621553fdb51d135a4cc248f24fc5.jpg

funneman

Practically Family
Tilt

I always try to tilt to the right, also right handed.

I just like the look.

It seems to me that a hat without a tilt is just a hat,
but a hat with a tilt, now that conveys an attitude.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Somewhere on here I read that tilting to the left - so that the lower side is on the left - is "as the French do."

I'm right handed, and tilt to the right.

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
Tilt

I typically wear my hats tilted slightly to the right. I am also right handed, but I guess we'll have to leave it up to the "experts" to determine if there is a correlation.

I do wear one of my hats straight (more or less). It has a wider brim and seems to fit and look better straight on.

As for funerals and other such occasions...I would say wear your hat it whatever manner is normal for you.

Spellflower

Practically Family
For a long time, I wasn't comfortable in my Federation. Then I rebashed it with a center dent, and began tilting it to the left. Suddenly, it was my favorite hat.

I think the tilt gives a nice angular look, and I like the non-conformity implied by a slight asymmetry. I definitely tilt more when I'm feeling more rebellious or adventurous (out on the town, rather than going to work).

As for handedness, I agree with Joel Tunnah that it makes more sense to tilt away from the handed side, for the same reason that mens' shirts have the pocket on the left side: because your dominant hand crosses your mid-line more easily than it maneuvers on the same side of the body. At least I think that's why I tilt to the left despite my righthandedness.

The only time I tilt to the right is if I'm walking or driving with the sun to my right. Actually, I guess I do tilt on the way to work- if the sun is in my eyes on the drive in.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My avatar gives it all away - tilt to the right, and Art, I am right-handed, so I support your theory!

Speaking of avatars, Scotrace you look as cool as Sam Spade in yours. That's a great photo.

Of course, tilting or not is just personal preference. See the picture of Matt drawing a bead with his automatic to see what happens when someone criticizes the way he wears his hat! lol

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I think I would rather go hatless than wear a hat without a tilt. With caps I sometimes get such a jaunty angle that it looks like it is almost about to fall off.

The best part is wearing a hat with a brim where you can get a "sweep" such that the lower part of the brim is on the "down" tilted side, whereas the flipped up side is on the "up" tilted side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn