Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To Tilt or Not to Tilt...That is the Question!

Gallie

New in Town
I've been watching the Maltese Falcon and Mr. Bogart tilts. Yeap, his hat is always tilted to one side.

I like that look, but what's the etiquette?

I notice that Matt Deckard tilts a bit in his avatar.

Would it be appropriate to tilt when going to Church, or a funeral?

Do any of you tilt?

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Baron Kurtz said:
I pay no attention to the amount of tilt - it tilts or it doesn't, depends upon how it ends up on the head. I don't consciously try either way.

bk

I agree.

I don't think tilting is a bad thing, I just don't pay attention if I am or not. I suppose tilting could be a sort of statement if you wanted.

However, I suppose if I'm paying any attention, I attempt to place the hat on as squarely as possible.

Marty M.

Vendor
To tilt or not to tilt.

I like to tilt. I agree with the Baron, it's a personal thangg. I think the only thing that's not good to tilt is a Pinball Machine. Although, I guess that you can't tilt a Doorag.
Marty Mathis

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Wearing it straight just seems so...serious. I'm just not that intense of a person.
bobbing.jpg

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
Mine always tilts to the left. I can't help it. That's just the way it goes on. I put my hat on with my left hand, so the hat goes left. I get it honest, my grandfather (actually both of them) both wore their hat cocked off to one side. I was watching some old movie not too long ago, and one man had his hat cocked off to the left, while the other's was tilted to the right. The first man put his hat on with his left hand, and the right-tilter put his hat on with his right hand.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Interesting thread

For years I watched guys put on their hats to see what the natural tendency was. Not scientific at all but first, tilt has to do with attitude. I tilt mine naturally to the left ( which will bring me to my second point) and I tend to have a casual attitude with a bit of a swagger. Don't know why, it just happens. The second observation is that guys tend to tilt toward their dominant hand. I'm left handed so it feels natural to me. This would be a good time to see if my theory holds water. It's kindof like "what side do you part your hair" sortof thing.
Scott, perhaps your head is already tilted??:D

So, does my theory hold water guys?

maff2k

New in Town
I must admit that I'm still learning as it were. I try to square up when I'm putting my hat on.

The past couple of days I've tried not to think about it too much in an atempt to get a more 'used to this' look. I'm still concerned that I've not got the right size of hat. Mine sits quite tightly, how do others sit? Can you get a little finger between your head and the hat? Does this affect the tilt?

Cheers

M

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
Always tilt to my left, and part my hair on the left. But I'm right-handed.

Maybe I'm an exception to your theory Art, although to me it makes more sense that the dominant hand would grab the hat - and not wanting to bend the wrist backwards, it makes for a more natural motion to tilt the hat away from that side.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
I put my hat on with my left hand, and the hat tilts to the left, but I am very right handed! I can't hardly do anything with my left hand, except put on my hat and snap my fingers! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails