Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Today would have been Frank Sinatra's 92nd Birthday

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Francis Albert Sinatra (December 12, 1915 – May 14, 1998)

Wikipedia info about Frank Sinatra

Frank_Sinatra_laughing.jpg

Dagwood

Practically Family
In honor of his birthday, the Sinatra stamp was unveiled today. Looks real nice.

34234565ms3.jpg

Here is the article from the LA Times:

Ol' Blue Eyes will get his own postage stamp next spring.

The stamp commemorating Frank Sinatra was announced last week by Postmaster General John Potter, who called the crooner "an extraordinary entertainer whose life and work left an indelible impression on American culture."

"His recordings, concert performances and film work place him among America's top artists, and his legendary gift for transforming popular song into art is a rare feat that few have been able to replicate," Potter said.

The stamp image was unveiled today -- Sinatra's birthday -- at a ceremony in Beverly Hills, Calif.

While the stamp will be for first-class mail, the rate has not been announced. Currently the letter rate is 41 cents but the postal governing board is thought likely to raise the price next year.

Under new rules a hike in the letter rate would be limited to the rate of inflation, probably to 42 cents if it does go up in the spring.

During his career Sinatra won an Oscar, several Grammy awards and was recognized at the Kennedy Center Honors in 1983. President Reagan awarded him the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 1985.

He was born in Hoboken, N.J. in 1915 and died in 1998. The Hoboken Post Office was renamed in his honor in 2002.

diverguy

New in Town
scooby-dooby-do

Stamp and vocal lovers should rejoice! Ol Blue Eyes will be joining my stamp collection! Happy Birthday Frank.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Ah, Frank--you are missed!

That stamp is great--I was a little worried about what the art would be like but it's a homerun in my book.

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
The Voice

If I had the chance to see one performer in concert it would be Frank Sinatra. Sadly, I never had the opportunity. He was, in my opinion, one of the greatest entertainers of the 20th century.

"I Did it My Way," Frank Sinatra.

Boris K

One of the Regulars

I went to a Jackson Brown concert in Ohio in the mid-90's (1996?) and Sinatra was on the bill for a concert about 2 weeks later. I had to travel at that time or would have attended. Of course it turned out to be the last time I could have seen him.. :eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21