Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Too bootylicious for the Sweater Dress???

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
BD you've inspired me to go and search for sweater dresses to buy! Having read over this thread, I'm a bit worried about how any of them would fit, but I reckon if it flares out enough at the hem then it should look ok. Now where's best to look? Etsy?

Hi Maristella,

It will depend on the particular dress, whether it flares out or is a wiggle dress. The one I have is quite form fitting at the hips, but then flares out.

I'm not sure where is the best place, but a few of the pics I posted are from Etsy. Ebay had some also, but not as many. Good luck!

Oh, that sailor dress is to die for - where can I find it???

Hi bunny; I know it's adorable! I forgot to post the links to ones that were currently avail! The sailor dress is on Etsy, here:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/61546182/salepatriotic-pinup-vintage-knit-sailor?ref=sr_gallery_22&ga_search_submit=&ga_search_query=40s+sweater+dress&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_noautofacet=1&ga_search_type=vintage&ga_facet=vintage%2Fclothing
X
BD

Marzena

One of the Regulars
My experience with sweater dresses: It is much easier to wear a one piece than separates, probably because then the skirt does not need a waist band which necessarily stiffens the construction. With a one piece you get that fluid movement of the whole length of the knitted fabric. Another proviso is that the sweater fabric must be absolutely flat and slinky, without any trace of fuzz. No angoras, shetlands or even just bulky knits. Finally, it cannot be the "sack" type sweater dress, but something that will mould around curvy shape, as Deadpandiva is sporting here (wonderful!) .

When all those conditions are met, such dresses can be heaven!

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
This 40s one on ebay is sweet!

2011-09-23_14-47-30_336.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1940s-Blue-Boucle-Knit-Wool-Dress-Rose-Embroidery-Fits-Size-Large-Size-XL-/140624433176?pt=Vintage_Women_s_Clothing&hash=item20bdde9018

X
BD

TheNightingale

New in Town
Deadpandiva, you look fantastic! As a curvy girl with a generous rear myself...eh. I say go with it. Sweater dresses are very flattering and feminine, I think, on every figure! Plus there's that "snuggly/cuddly" factor. (I won't mention the "pet hair" factor.)

I love that black one with the bow! So cute!

Oh, sweater dresses are easy to pack in winter, too! No ironing when you arrive at your destination!

Julia Ds

New in Town
Go for it!
I Love knit suits and dresses and have quite a collection going myself. Most are very flattering in shape. Very "sexy silhouette" thing going on, regardless of whatever size a person might be. My only issue, and this pops up with the older ones, are stiff, bulgy elastic in the waist, or those unfortunate pieces that have been stored in precarious positions so long they are misshapen. Poor things!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24