Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top Gear

C44Antelope

One of the Regulars
I've seen probably ten episodes of Top Gear from BBC. I just recently saw the promo for Top Gear here in the US on the History channel. From what I can tell, it's the same type of show, just Americanized. Any thoughts?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The Stig

As a Yank, I am accustomed to seeing a show here, then seeing the original UK version latter. With Top Gear, this will be the first time I have seen the proper original first, so I will probably hate our version! No sign in the commercials of The Stig, won't even watch it if he's not staring!

Warden

One Too Many
Ah, the Stig in the UK has retired, so no more Stig for us.

On a golden age link, anyone see the programme they set in 1947, when they raced a steam train, motor bike and a jag from London to Scotland.

One of the best Top Gears yet.

[video=youtube;hy8EeVZn5cE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy8EeVZn5cE[/video]

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
Did not know about the Stig. What a shame...such a clever gimmick (my daughter has the "I am the Stig" shirt... now people know she isn't! :)

Top Gear is never not entertaining. Often infuriating, never dull!

C44Antelope

One of the Regulars
Warden - watched the clip(s). An episode I had not seen. Great television. I just hope the History channel version is decent. I doubt it has a prayer of being as good as the original.

Leesensei

One of the Regulars
I am sure that the American version will be a fine show. my only complaint, is why is this show on the History channel? Along with shows like Ice Road Truckers and shows about Logging etc. it seems that the one thing that is hard to find on the History channel is shows about History! :(

Lee

Michael Carter

One of the Regulars
I agree. Even though I enjoy some of their recent shows I have to wonder after giving it some thought what these shows have to do with history?

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I don't know about the American version. I am so used to watching the U.K. version with Jeremy, Richard & James that nothing else will work for me. It would be like seeing an American version of Doctor Who. It just doesn't work and shouldn't be done. I like seeing stuff about all the European cars & I don't think that this will have the same chemistry.

Cheers!

Dan

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Stig

I have to agree with most of what has been said. The three BBC stars are the perfect mix, play off of each other well. Jeremy must have some kind of seines of humour, as the head of the group, he puts himself in many of the funniest situations where the others can poke fun at him, like being the stocker on the train, driving a Roll's into a pool! Unfortunately, the American stars all sounded the same to me, we will see. They should merchandise the Stig, and give him a cut, then he will keep quit!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I watch it occasionally and it's always fun but it's not nearly as good as what it was when Vicki Butler-Henderson and Tiff were on it with Clarkson. That for me was Top Gear's heyday.

JimWagner

Practically Family
The British humor and speech patterns on that show, as well as all the exotic cars are what I like. I can't see it working as well once it's Americanized.

Mark G

A-List Customer
The problem I can see with the American version is it will be beholding to the sponsors. I can't see them trashing a car that is paying for advertising.

Of the hosts: Tanner Faust, Adam Ferrara, and Rutledge Wood, I'm only familiar with Faust and quite frankly he doesn't have a great deal of on screen charisma. Check out his show on Speed channel, SuperCars Exposed.

C44Antelope

One of the Regulars
The problem I can see with the American version is it will be beholding to the sponsors. I can't see them trashing a car that is paying for advertising.

Of the hosts: Tanner Faust, Adam Ferrara, and Rutledge Wood, I'm only familiar with Faust and quite frankly he doesn't have a great deal of on screen charisma. Check out his show on Speed channel, SuperCars Exposed.

Rutledge was on Speed for some of their NASCAR coverage. He always struck me as being a very personable guy who was a huge NASCAR fan and had landed a dream job. He always seemed to be having fun - although I didn't watch him a lot. I tire easily of some of the over exposure/analysis of racing on those shows "Kyle, when you got loose in lap ten was that due to the minor adjustment your crew made in lap nine?"...
"You know, about 140 laps before the end of the race."
"Oh that time I got loose."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner