Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Travelling with a Tux?

farnham54

A-List Customer
hey folks,

As I plan to attend the QM summit next month, I would absolutley love any and all advice you can offer for travelling with a Tuxedo.

Is a garment bag sufficient? Bring it as carry-on? Or will I need a real "suitcase"?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Craig

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
Their is a store near me called The Mens Wearhouse. They have a travel bag that has some nice features to it. It will hold 3-5 suits (depending on size). The suits are rolled around a coushioned 'tube'. This keeps them from getting wrinkled. The 'tube' thingy is hollow and will hold your shoes and other small accessories. When its all folded up, its the size of a duffle bag, and has a shoulder strap. Perfect for carrying on a plane.

Chad

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
farnham54 said:
Both are great options.

Hem, do you think the QM will do that?

I will also look and see if that suit carrier is available around here.

Cheers gents!
Craig
I sure hope so! One would think that an establishment like that would, but if not, I am sure there are dry cleaners nearby who would press your suit for you.

gerardgolf

New in Town
What about tie and cumberbund

My first post!

I travel with my tux frequently and I always worry about how to get tie and cumberbund to destination without being twisted. I usually bring a few different sets so I can dress according to my mood. Ties always end up twisted and cumberbund has a crease somewhere. I guess rolling them up in something, but this seems very pedestrian.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I individually encase all my suits and shirts with the plastic wrap that dry cleaners use. Works like a dream. :) I bought a whole roll of the stuff from my local guy for $10.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
farnham54 said:
do you think the QM will do that?

You could always just call them and ask. Then you'll know for sure.

Garment bags for suits aren't that out of the ordinary. The big thing is to be absolutely sure it meets the size parameters for carry-on since they've recently changed and they're sticklers about it now. Don't trust the salesman at the store. Myself, I'd probably pack the proposed bag as you anticipate doing, going to the baggage check-in at the local airport and asking it it meets the requirements for a carry-on so there's no last-minute surprise in finding out you're going to have to check it and pay for it.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
How much benefit can you get from hanging the tux in the bathroom while you shower, and getting the steam really into it? I suppose the wool content would determine how much it smoothed out from a treatment like that.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Hemingway Jones is the go-to guy on this: I have seen him pack an impossible number of great combinations into a tiny bag. It's like the 50 clowns getting out of a tiny car at the circus. "How the devil does he fit all that in there???" And he always looked crisp!

One note about airport pre-planning: On a recent trip, my checked bag passed muster flying to my destination. For the return trip, the identical bag, with actually fewer contents showed as 12 pounds over the 50 pound limit. Delta wanted to whack me $90 for the overage! That is the second time that has happened to me. It seems like they note that you are making a return flight and are unlikely to have any options, and tweak the scales accordingly!!

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
gerardgolf said:
My first post!

I travel with my tux frequently and I always worry about how to get tie and cumberbund to destination without being twisted. I usually bring a few different sets so I can dress according to my mood. Ties always end up twisted and cumberbund has a crease somewhere. I guess rolling them up in something, but this seems very pedestrian.

Get a tie carrier for your ties.

spstogie

New in Town
Tie travel,

I am currently traveling new ground on the east coast. To pack, I utilized an Oban 14 year tube for my rolled ties and a bush mills 16 tube for my braces & sock garters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot