Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Coat - the 'Ultimate' Thread!

StetsonHomburg

Practically Family
Help looking for a trenchcoat?

Hi,

For some time I have been looking for a good trench coat on ebay...
But all I can find are modern "half" coats at costly prices!

Can anyone recommend a good cheap vintage or modern vintage styled beige trench coat in size 34R to 36R?

Thanks!

Elgin1924

New in Town
I've never really looked on the bay for trenchcoats, so I can't offer too much advice on that.

I'd say visit a few thrift stores, you never know what people want to throw out. I found a few nice coats for $2 a piece once!

StetsonHomburg

Practically Family
Elgin1924 said:
I've never really looked on the bay for trenchcoats, so I can't offer too much advice on that.

I'd say visit a few thrift stores, you never know what people want to throw out. I found a few nice coats for $2 a piece once!
I have seen a few trenches in some old stores but they arn't the nicest colour.. :eusa_doh:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I got a decent London Fog at Macy's last year. As with every damned garment you buy nowadays, half the buttons fell off within weeks. And the length on one arm of the lining is a little too long, which is annoying. So it's not perfect, but since I got it for about $130 on sale, I'm not complaining.

W4ASZ

Practically Family
I have purchased several Burberrys on da Bay. The main thing is to make sure of the sizing. You'll need the measurements, and a lot of the sellers post those in their listings. It's funny, the 50 long I have is quite roomy, but the 48 regulars are snug with a sport coat on. I'd say generally they run small. This is a non-issue because I usually don't wear a sport coat when I put on the trench.

In colder climes the wool liner and the long Burberry would be just the ticket.

I have shelled out as little as $40.00 for one with liner, and as much as $200.00 for a minty navy blue one without. (Nice !)

Be sure to search da Bay for "Burberry" or "Burberry coat" and then squint a lot. You may miss one otherwise.

They are there. Good luck.

Edward

Bartender
Also worth looking at non-Burberry options. Burberry has acquired something of a fashion cachet in recent years, with the result that prices have gone up. You can often find other brands, such as London Fog, Grenfell, and (older) Aquascutum which are just as good for significantly less than a Burberry.

W4ASZ

Practically Family
Edward said:
Also worth looking at non-Burberry options. Burberry has acquired something of a fashion cachet in recent years, with the result that prices have gone up. You can often find other brands, such as London Fog, Grenfell, and (older) Aquascutum which are just as good for significantly less than a Burberry.

Absolutely. I have looked for an Aquascutum now and then, without success.

I did, however, find stashed back in a closet my grandfather's old Alligator trench. Rayon -1950s - St. Louis. It actually fits. I was shocked.

W4ASZ

Practically Family
Hard to say

It might be OK, but I think life owes you a really good trench coat to go with the fine hats.

My long beige Burberry with wool liner set me back a little over $100.00 as I recall, and the ladies all go "Ah, a Burberry !" Priceless !

I'll keep an eye out, too, on da Bay, if you like.

StetsonHomburg

Practically Family
W4ASZ said:
It might be OK, but I think life owes you a really good trench coat to go with the fine hats.

My long beige Burberry with wool liner set me back a little over $100.00 as I recall, and the ladies all go "Ah, a Burberry !" Priceless !

I'll keep an eye out, too, on da Bay, if you like.
That'd be great, thank you very much!
I'm going to go with the Burberry!

Derek WC

Banned
If you scroll down on that page, you'll see the guy wearing it buttoned, and it looks really tight, I wouldn't get it if I was you, like previously mentioned, I would get something of higher quality. I've got an Oleg Cassini overcoat from the 60's, and it's pretty nice.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
A decent (and fully functional one at that) trench coat is something I plan on getting somewhere down the road. I should probably use this thread as an opportunity to enquire about the quality of this one in particular:

http://www.amazon.com/Jos-A-Bank-Double-Breasted-Raincoat/dp/B000BFL5W6/ref=pd_sim_a_1

It looks good in my eye, especially the khaki color, and it's a cotton-blend, which may imply polyester or some synthetic. Does anyone have experience with any of the Joseph A. Bank brand trench coats? To me, this appears to be a somewhat pricey product, but I'm wondering if this is worth going after.

Elgin1924

New in Town
J B said:
A decent (and fully functional one at that) trench coat is something I plan on getting somewhere down the road. I should probably use this thread as an opportunity to enquire about the quality of this one in particular:

http://www.amazon.com/Jos-A-Bank-Double-Breasted-Raincoat/dp/B000BFL5W6/ref=pd_sim_a_1

It looks good in my eye, especially the khaki color, and it's a cotton-blend, which may imply polyester or some synthetic. Does anyone have experience with any of the Joseph A. Bank brand trench coats? To me, this appears to be a somewhat pricey product, but I'm wondering if this is worth going after.

It looks to have a nice cut (on the model, at least), with nice modern button spacing.

It says it's a cotton/polyester blend, which shouldn't be a problem unless you specificly want a 100% cotton coat. I find some synthetic fibre can strengthen the fabric, and I would imagine add extra waterproofing to a trench.

I can't offer much more than that, and ultimately the choice is up to you.

Whatever coat you choose, good luck!

fiddletown

New in Town
The definitive trench coat is, of course, the Burberry. It is, however and regrettably, very far from inexpensive. I bought one in the early '70s, and did not treat it kindly -- dragging it around Europe a couple of times. Nonetheless, it gave me excellent service for many years.

I just now have bought another, even though at my age I doubt that I'll live long enough to break it in.

fiddletown

New in Town
I have finally invested in another Burberry. I bought one in the early '70s and gave it hard use -- dragging it around Europe a few times. It gave me years of fine service.

About a month ago, my wife and I were in the Burberry store in San Francisco, and much to the chagrin of my banker I asked if they might have a classic trench coat to fit my now expanded carcass. Well lo and behold, they did. And so, after inflicting serious injury to my credit card (I could swear I heard it squeal piteously) and a short discussion with the tailor regarding the needed alterations, my wife and I repaired to Tadich for a late lunch.

I just received word the the alterations are done, so we are planning an expedition to San Francisco to collect the coat and dine again at Tadich.

I now have a special reason to look forward to winter. While I'm delighted to again have a Burberry, the definitive trench coat, at my age I doubt I'll live long enough to break it in, let alone wear it out. Nonetheless, I'll try.

cptjeff

Practically Family
TrenchGuy said:
Well, I couldn't find a fedora from a shop, but I did find a black trilby made from 20% wool and 80% viscose. Not so good, I guess, but it cost only 10 euros. I will be posting a picture of it too.

And the coat isn't only good for cool autumn/spring days, but those cooler nights in the summer. Last night the temperature outside was around 15 celsius and the coat was just perfect.

There's just one thing I'm wondering about the coat. On the left side, there's one button inside the coat and on the left side there's one button hole for that button inside the coat. I haven't tried buttoning it while wearing it as it seems hard and Im not even sure if it's meant to be buttoned. So, does anyone know the purpose of it? It could be a spare button, but there's a button hole on the left side... (The sides are from the perspective of the person looking at the person wearing the coat, not the wearer's perspective)

You button that one first before you button the outside buttons. It keeps the front lined up properly, otherwise the part lying underneath can sag and fold, throwing off the entire look.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
cptjeff said:
You button that one first before you button the outside buttons. It keeps the front lined up properly, otherwise the part lying underneath can sag and fold, throwing off the entire look.
Yep, it's called a jigger button and is also found on DB suits. When left unbuttoned it will look a bit untidy.......though some don't seem to mind.

g457461.jpg

TrenchGuy

One of the Regulars
Alright, thanks for the answers, gentlemen. As a reward for you, I will be posting a picture of the coat in 2 days or less.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner