Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tweaking my LVC Menlo Cossack

Hi guys,
I just wanted to share my experience with the LVC Menlo Cossack jacket I purchased last Fall.
First off, I like the jacket. The slim sleeves don't bother me a bit, and the fit is pretty good. I've been wanting a BK Aeronaut or Himel Heron, and at a fraction of the price from eBay this one fits the bill well enough.
The problem is the factory color. It is a 2012 model made in Italy. I believe it is cowhide. It came in what they called dark brown, but it's more of a butterscotch color.
menlo color.jpg
I tend to like my jackets darker, more like this:
menlotarget.jpg
So, I began treating my jacket with Dr. Jackson's Hide Rejuvenator.
To my surprise, it didn't take to the jacket evenly at all. Instead, the jacket ended up with a very splotchy look. At first I thought I'd ruined the jacket, but after 3 more coats (hand rubbing in different areas each time) I began to like the effect.
_MG_1344.jpg
It doesn't look new, but it is darker. I know I'll end up wearing it more. As it ages, it will probably mellow out.
The other benefit is that I'm no longer afraid of getting it wet!
Anyway....just wanted to share my experience and jacket!
Cheers.

Reactions: A-1

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
Hi guys,
I just wanted to share my experience with the LVC Menlo Cossack jacket I purchased last Fall.
First off, I like the jacket. The slim sleeves don't bother me a bit, and the fit is pretty good. I've been wanting a BK Aeronaut or Himel Heron, and at a fraction of the price from eBay this one fits the bill well enough.
The problem is the factory color. It is a 2012 model made in Italy. I believe it is cowhide. It came in what they called dark brown, but it's more of a butterscotch color.
View attachment 10218
I tend to like my jackets darker, more like this:
View attachment 10219
So, I began treating my jacket with Dr. Jackson's Hide Rejuvenator.
To my surprise, it didn't take to the jacket evenly at all. Instead, the jacket ended up with a very splotchy look. At first I thought I'd ruined the jacket, but after 3 more coats (hand rubbing in different areas each time) I began to like the effect.
View attachment 10221
It doesn't look new, but it is darker. I know I'll end up wearing it more. As it ages, it will probably mellow out.
The other benefit is that I'm no longer afraid of getting it wet!
Anyway....just wanted to share my experience and jacket!
Cheers.

As a fan of darker jackets myself, what you were able to accomplish is quite impressive. The top jacket wouldn't even get a second look from me, but the bottom jacket caught my eye and I actually spent the time to look more closely at the details.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Nicely done Mike! I have the same jacket, and I never thought to try something like this. How did you decide to use the product you used?

Boyo, I use The Dr. Jackson's regularly on old EBay jackets. Around New Years I bought one that had a lot of lighter rubbed off leather, and after a coating of the stuff I was shocked to see the original color had returned to the jacket! I have Pecards in the house but see it as more of a preservative than a restorer or darkener. Anyway, it was a gamble, and after the first coating I was annoyed that it didn't take evenly. I guess LVC has done something to the leather. That's what started me thinking about multiple light coats in random places....layering seemed to work ( I'd leave it to dry 24hrs before the next coat). When it was where I was ok with it, I gave it a coat of Lexol to get rid of any excess goo on the surface- tada!!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Looks a hundred times better IMO. I'm a dark brown fan rather than light brown as well.

Good job!

That looks really great Mike!!!! Nice work! FYI, LVC will have a black leather Menlo Cossack in its Fall 2014 collection.

I think black would be great!
I hope it's the Menlo Cossack style and NOT the Skyfall. ;-)
Would be great if they did a 1 piece back again too.

I think the black looks great, but I think a thicker hide would suit it- like the Heron in Horsehide. The lighter weight hides go well with the casual brown style IMO.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think the black looks great, but I think a thicker hide would suit it- like the Heron in Horsehide. The lighter weight hides go well with the casual brown style IMO.

I tried on the Heron a couple of weeks ago at Inspiration, and came within inches of buying it. I went with a Canuck instead, although I have not ruled out a Heron in the future.

The Canuck is a sweet jacket!

-Watch out Bret, the guy at Tandy sold me a bottle of dark brown dye....I'm starting by making a belt for a buckle my wife got me, but you never know...I might just move to Detroit and start manufacturing Leather goods! :)

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Dude, my wife got me the Tandy starter kit for Xmas. Too funny! I really want to learn leather tooling myself. Last time I tried though was at scout camp though

I've actually got the buckle and brass screws soaking in apple cider vinegar at the moment to darkenl them down.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
I tried on the Heron a couple of weeks ago at Inspiration, and came within inches of buying it. I went with a Canuck instead, although I have not ruled out a Heron in the future.

Super.. congrats on the Canuck...I really like that coat, put a few picks up, I would love to see it.. Are there deals to be had at events like Inspiration?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari