Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two Lancaster bomber planes fly together for first time in 50 years

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Here is another. I can't imagine the great sound of 10 Merlins! I think the most I have ever heard is four. [video=youtube;XrVpqXSi4mY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrVpqXSi4mY[/video]

Stand By

One Too Many
It's funny - Vera is just "down the road" in Hamilton and I've seen her a good few times at the air show there ... same as the BBMF "Thumper" Lancaster over the decades in the UK (even last month at RAF Duxford, in fact) and I've followed the news about the Canadian Lancaster flying over and knowing it would be something to see when they teamed up ...

But seeing it (and here for the first time) - and in all reality - words just do not do justice to how uniquely special an event this is. It doesn't merely strike a chord - it strikes so many and so deeply.

THANK YOU for posting. Thank you.

GJ nord

Familiar Face
the Mynarski Lanc is today at the airfield it's namesake Andrew Mynarski flew from on his last op (Middleton st George) , when he gained the VC posthumously.

Edward

Bartender
Fascinating to see these old birds in the air, and I'm really glad they keep them in flying shape rather than as cometic museum pieces. Always makes me shudder to be under the flightpath of a bomber, though!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Canadian plane just blew an engine, a replacement is being flown up to them and they should be airworthy again over this weekend.

I love the sound of the Merlin, but they are temperamental beasts! Merlin, time before overhaul 600 hours, Pratt & Whitney R2800, 1200hr. Merlin oil change, 25hr, R2800 once a year. Merlin inspection, 25hr, R2800 annual. Merlin, one hour of maintenance to one hour of flight time, R2800, .28 hours to one hour flight.

Edward

Bartender
Yeah, could you imagine the horror of hearing hundreds of them coming (at night, no less) from miles away, knowing that there's nowhere to run?

Absolutely! I'm not familiar with the shelters they'd have had in Germany, but if they were much like an Anderson, I can't imagine being more terrified.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, could you imagine the horror of hearing hundreds of them coming (at night, no less) from miles away, knowing that there's nowhere to run?

Who needs hundreds of them? The thought of one of them heading my way would be enough to terrify me!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
100 is terrifying enough, picture over 1000! [video=youtube;Xfe0vEkz3lI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfe0vEkz3lI[/video]

Dragon Soldier

One of the Regulars
The Lincs event with "Just Jane" scheduled for tomorrow has been cancelled as Vera still isn't back in the air. Problem is that she has Packard Merlins, the only ones on hand in the UK are of RR manufacture. There are small but significant differences apparently.

My chance to see them both is at the weekend, when they're scheduled to visit NI. I'm hopeful, but not overly confident that they'll make it over. Thus plans will have to be made to do a bunk across the water as soon as I know Vera's flying again.

It'll be (relatively) costly and a bit hit & miss, but when else will I get the chance?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran