Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tyrolean conversion?

donnc

One of the Regulars
I'm a little "fuzzy" on this type of hat, but as seen occasionally on craigslist etc. they seem to be thick fuzzy felt, short brim fedoras, often green and sporting a "ribbon" made of cords and a big feather.

fur-felt-tyrolean-hat.jpg

Has anyone tried a dress hat ribbon on one? Of course the felt is going to be a little burly by dress hat standards, but that doesn't seem to stop us from hacking up cowboy hats.

donnc

One of the Regulars
(Hm, I see the example picture I posted is particularly tapered, which I guess might be challenging to set up with a ribbon.)

rlk

I'll Lock Up
donnc said:
(Hm, I see the example picture I posted is particularly tapered, which I guess might be challenging to set up with a ribbon.)
They occasionally have Grosgrain ribbons but the style typically has a shorter brim, tapered crown and curled rear brim flanging.
4725713540_bccb11cb1b.jpg

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
Funny, I just mentioned this very hat on another thread moments ago. Your pic looks exactly like my Biltmore Tyrolean. Mine's the classic green, too, but I think they're offered in other colors.

The cord on mine became unravelled some years ago, and since I rarely wore such an over-the-top hat by then, I considered the option of "decasualizing" it with a more formal ribbon so as to get more use out of the hat. That "feather" is actually a badger-bristle brush, which is there for dusting off snow. If you do nothing else but removing the brush, that goes a long way toward making the hat more mainstream

I tried several widths and colors of grosgrain ribbons, but the wider ones gapped at the top due to the extreme crown taper, and none could overcome the inherent film-prop look of, not to mentioned appearing wholly incompatible with, the Tyrolean.

So, I just carefully rewound the original green cord and put the badger brush back on. Now, on the rare snowy day here in the South, I'll don hiking boots, grab my gnarly walking stick, and head out with the toasty, trusty Tyrolean stuck firmly in on my head. I'll occasionally yodel, and, to complete the picture, I'm still looking for one of those ten-foot-long alpine horns.

The Tyrolean--it is what it is.

tnitz

New in Town
Tyrolean

I can simply echo what's already been said - most are severely tapered and difficult to rework into another crease as a result. Also, the crowns are really meant to hug the skull, so there's not alot of room up there. Not all Tyroleans are like that, but the ones I've seen sold in the US are all of that ilk.

As for "burly" felt, when I bought mine decades ago, it was not a rough felt at all, it was what some today call velour. The older ones I see online are like that but not all imported ones are. Mine was quite lucious and the same finish that was applied to my Homburg which I kept for special occasions. Were the hat more adaptable, the felt would actually look nicer than it appears in the photo.

tnitz

New in Town
Ribbon

Sorry, as to your question, I would think the ribbon would only exaggerate the snug lines. The corded ribbon breaks up the hat and adds bulk and I personally think that is needed on these hats. I quite like it, myself and many were worn back when popular as dress hats. See the opening to Ocean's Eleven for a really dressy look, or the opening credits to Bob Newhardt, for a couple examples off the top of my head. Doesn't Clouseau wear a Tyrolean?

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
The very horn I've been seeking!!! Where can I get one, rlk? How much? Shipping and handling's gotta be outta sight!

Those hat brushes are about the same size as the one I dust furniture with, outrageously huge!

I have a pair of hiking shorts that are also called "Tyroleans," but they're basically just an especially rugged type with lots of pockets--nothing like these doozies which have a special name I cannot recall at the moment.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
AlterEgo said:
The very horn I've been seeking!!! Where can I get one, rlk? How much? Shipping and handling's gotta be outta sight!

Those hat brushes are about the same size as the one I dust furniture with, outrageously huge!

I have a pair of hiking shorts that are also called "Tyroleans," but they're basically just an especially rugged type with lots of pockets--nothing like these doozies which have a special name I cannot recall at the moment.

Lederhosen.

Where to buy alphorns:

Alphorn Stocker, Swiss made Alphorns, Lucerne, Switzerland www.alphorn.com
Rocky Mountain Alphorns, William Hopson, Calgary, Alberta, Canada. www.alphorn.ca
Swiss Carbon Alphorn (Alpflyinghorn) Roger Zenetti, Switzerland www.swisscarbonalphorn.com
European Web site www.swisscarbonalphorn.net

Where to buy alphorn music:

Hans-Jurg Sommer www.alphornmusik.ch

McCoy's Horn Library www.mccoyshornlibrary.com
Alphorn Education:

Midwest Alphorn Retreat
Alphorn Schools and Courses
Interesting Alpine Horn music sites:

Swiss Alpine Music
The Alphorn in Switzerland
Alphorn History and Scale

Attractive introduction to the Alpenhorn(could cause a Tyrolean Conversion)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quY7YvK8a-0&feature=fvw
---- Her music video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyTu5Nhb7jg&feature=related
Alpenhorn video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwX5Wtzmmko
More Alpenhorn:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjd7DtkpjtQ&feature=related

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy