Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

U.S. Authentic G-1 ?

ANGST

New in Town
I think I settled down on a G-1 from U.S. Authentic . Any comments about the jacket or the company ? I have read mostly good reviews about flightjacket.com / Shaul (and of course a few not so good) .

I think my only other option in the same price range is the US Wings G-1 . I am considering it still I think. Is there anything else I should be looking at ?

http://www.flightjacket.com/g1-jacket.html

GHQ1

One of the Regulars
I like the US Auth G-1's and have one in goat and one in horse . . .Great jackets with all the nice features - wool knits, real mouton collar etc . . . Plus they're an even better value if you can find one pre-owned . . .

I also like the mid 90's Cooper G-1's with the blue tag (before they were bought by US Wings) -- these have nylon knits and acrylic collar I'm pretty sure. Might have real mouton collar - can't recall! Cooper also made what they called an "ANJ-2" which is really their G-1 less the mouton collar AND with 3 piece sleeves AND nylon knits.

Also check out the Gibson and Barnes G-1, ANJ, M-422 series . .

What size are you?

Last edited:

ANGST

New in Town
I like the US Auth G-1's and have one in goat and one in horse . . .Great jackets with all the nice features - wool knits, real mouton collar etc . . . Plus they're an even better value if you can find one pre-owned . . .

I also like the mid 90's Cooper G-1's with the blue tag (before they were bought by US Wings) -- these have nylon knits and acrylic collar I'm pretty sure. Might have real mouton collar - can't recall! Cooper also made what they called an "ANJ-2" which is really their G-1 less the mouton collar AND with 3 piece sleeves AND nylon knits.

Also check out the Gibson and Barnes G-1, ANJ, M-422 series . .

What size are you?

Oh yeah Size ... thats a interesting story, I have lost 140lbs so I have no idea what size I am right now , chest measures 38" I am 5'9" 155lbs . Shaul says a 40R would work for me but the sleeves may need to be shortened. I did check out the G&B jackets and likes the look of US Authentic a little more

CBI

One Too Many
If you are in the size 40 range, get on eBay and buy a real G-1. Don't mess with a repro. You could buy a superb original for the cost of what you are looking at. Just my 2 cents......

ANGST

New in Town
If you are in the size 40 range, get on eBay and buy a real G-1. Don't mess with a repro. You could buy a superb original for the cost of what you are looking at. Just my 2 cents......

I hesitate to buy on ebay if I don't really know my size . I have no clothes that fit me well right now to judge. I know I can return this one for a different size.

Maybe if I like this one I'll get an A2 or B3 on ebay :)

CBI

One Too Many
as long as you buy with PayPal you can return it even if the seller states no returns. Also, you can ask the seller in advance if they will take returns, they frequently do. You will be able to buy an excellent G-1 for $200-250. Why spend $470 on a repro?

Philalethes

A-List Customer
I hesitate to buy on ebay if I don't really know my size . I have no clothes that fit me well right now to judge. I know I can return this one for a different size.

Maybe if I like this one I'll get an A2 or B3 on ebay :)

If you did decide to buy a used G-1...

I have almost your same dimensions: 5'9'', 37" chest, ~150 lbs. I think you could size up to a 40, since they tend to be fitted. In fact, I inherited a size 42, and it still fits me comfortably: it is just a little long in the sleeves and slightly wide in the shoulders. Actually, I like the fit, because it is fitted enough to wear just over a dress shirt, but I can also layer heavily underneath.

I wouldn't worry too much about returns: check the seller's policy beforehand as well as feedback.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from buying a new G-1, as there is nothing wrong with that if you don't mind paying more.

Gene

Practically Family
Not sure about the price of a real G1 compared to an A2, but if they really do go for under $400, I would buy an original. I'm not quite sure what changed from WWII to the present but I would look for the earliest one possible for the lowest price (although that statement is a "duhhhh").

That being said, I've had my US Authentic A2 for going on two years now and I get compliments on it even from the most "stitch Nazi" of A2 repop owners, so I highly recommend that company.

I picked up a "Centennial G-1" from USWings. Nice jacket - and on sale for <$200. MY buddy - a retired USN pilots got one and said it's better than his issue jacket. I like it, and it IS a "military fit" so if anything, size up.

ANGST

New in Town
I picked up a "Centennial G-1" from USWings. Nice jacket - and on sale for <$200. MY buddy - a retired USN pilots got one and said it's better than his issue jacket. I like it, and it IS a "military fit" so if anything, size up.

I was looking at that one. It may seem strange , but I don't like it because of the lining.

I was looking at that one. It may seem strange , but I don't like it because of the lining.

TOTALLY understand that! It's kept me from a couple others too, but I gave in on the G1. Since I wear it and don't stare at it, I'm good. But all things being equal, I hate those types of linings...

Philalethes

A-List Customer
I agree, too. I like the jacket in all other respects, but the lining turns me off.

Fortunately, as Butte said, one doesn't have to look at the lining. For the price (they were on sale for $200), it probably wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

Fifty150

One Too Many
I have a G-1 from Alpha Industries.
AlphaLeatherJackets.jpg
AlphaG1Brown.jpg
G_1_Goatskin_Lea_4d83cabadc202_3.jpg

Alpha's reproduction of the coveted naval leather flying jacket featuring a genuine mouton fur collar.
Premium goatskin leather
Bi-swing back for free range of movement
Underarm gussets
Knit waistband and cuffs
Legendary Pilot Jacket

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart