Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

u.s. mfg. A2

kojax

Practically Family
my brother is looking for a A2 horsehide from u.s. mfg......he wants to know if the horsehide is still heavy......i have one from u.s mfg mying is heavy.....somebody told me the u.s vintage horsehide is not that heavy......i know there goatskin is to thin.......thank you people

Gman

New in Town
I received my US Mfg A2 HH a couple of weeks ago. Since Its my first A2, I don't have any point of reference, but to me it is heavy.

kojax

Practically Family
what color did you get.....dark seal brown......are you happy with the jacket..........let me know thanks

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
HeavyHorse?

hi, i'll be able to answer you about horse vs. goat when i get my gibson and barnes (flightsuits.com) horse in about another week, however the literature on the sites, from what my ADD brain can remember, is that horsehide is in the same league as goat...

i cAn say that the amazzzzzzing cockpitusa flying tigers repro horsehide i got recently was absolutely noT any heavier than goat, talking about the cockpitusa current issue a-2 as well as goat g-1 and a few other authentic (current prod) jackets i've had...

i believe steer/cowhide is the one that is heavier than the goat/horsehide...and, whilst i can't speak for weight, i know lambskin, as beautiful as it is, has a very thin surface which can more easily tear, so not as much rugged

be curious if this info is pretty much consensus, or if my take is off

johnnyjohnny

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
There is a good deal of variation in both horsehide and goatskin, as you'll discover with the more jackets you handle/inspect. Both can be "thick" or "thin", depending on the animals they were made from and how they were processed...

It's really more significant that the hides are essentially different in terms of suppleness, grain, and how they wear than how "heavy" they are.

That said, US Authentic's horsehide is nearly always described as being heavier/thicker than is average in other repros, or on most original A-2s.

For more detailed information on this than you could ever want, ask the nice folks at

http://cornellsurgery.com/phpBB3/index.php

Gman

New in Town
kojax said:
what color did you get.....dark seal brown......are you happy with the jacket..........let me know thanks

I got the russett brown. It's not quite as russet(reddish) as the one pictured on the website, but overall very happy with the jacket. I'm a size 44L and got the 46R, so its roomy enough for me. I had considered exchanging it for 48 as I'm so used to todays modern loose shape, but after wearing it for awhile and taking a close look at how it fit, I decided to keep the 46. i have a 36in pant waist, so the jacket probably isn't as trim in the mid section as it should be. I'd probably be swimming in a 48, particularly in the midsection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR