Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate EASTMAN (ELC) flying kit thread.

1911 Man

A-List Customer
Introduction and an Eastman A2 Question

Hello everyone.
I am new to this forum, so I thought I would introduce myself. I found this forum after poking around on the Indygear.com Club Obi-Wan forum for a while. Over there I am Indiana Johnson.
Some of you might recognize the 1911 moniker as reference to the model 1911 government pistol, which is one of my other hobbies. It certainly fits well into WWII discusiions, but that is for another day.
For now, I had a question that some of you might lend your expertise to. I have owned several leather jackets in my life. Some have been good, most have been only okay. My next jacket purchase will be an Indy Jacket, most likely a Wested, but that discussion is also for another day.
After that purchase, I would like to get a QUALITY A2. I live in the USA, but understand most USA manufacturers are not up to standard. My friend at Indygear, Platon, who I think is a member here too, introduced me to Eastman Leather. So I read some of your posts about them and am very impressed.
My question is in regard to their standard house Horsehide A2 versus the actual "original manufacturer" replica models. Are the replicas that much better? I really like the Star Sportswear replica, because of the darker color. Since I am in the USA, and will have to go through the New Jersey affiliate, would the wait time on the star sportswear be substantially longer than the regular A2? Does anyone have a Star Sportswear Eastman replica that can comment, or post better pics than the website? It does appear to be what I am looking for, but would like to learn more about it before spending that much cash on a new jacket.
Any info is greatly appreciated.
The 1911 Man

greyhound68

A-List Customer
Hey first off welcome aboard. I owned a Star and found it to be the best jacket ELC produced (that was until the new Werber was introduced). I don't have experience with their "house" jacket but I have seen their "house" goatskin which I thought was awesome. I have owned the Monarch which is another dark colored jacket and it was also very good. I also owned the Cable Roughwear 1401 and 27752. The 1401 was better. You may also try Aero leather which has a US rep Mark Moye. A great guy to deal with and Aero does make some outstanding jackets. Mark's "shop" per say is on ebay. Also along these lines is Real McCoys New Zealand. Their jackets are a bit pricey but are superb. You can email them because their web site sucks and Paddy will help you through the process. You have a number of choices all of which are good (I know I have owned and still owned jackets from each of these companies). The choice comes down to your own likes and dislikes. Holler if you need more help and again welcome aboard.

JRaptor

Familiar Face
Welcome to the forum, the ELC house A-2 is a fine garment that Gary Eastman kind of takes all the different manufacture house styles and incorporates them into the most typical form a of an A-2 jacket, they are very very nice!

The Star Sportswear A-2 is all together a different jacket and very special, and believe me.... they are worth the wait, you will own one of the finest repro A-2's available anyware in the world....period!

Here is a link to a good evaluation and pic's over at Acme Depot http://www.acmedepot.com/a2jacket/eval_ELCstar.shtml

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the American manufacturers. Lots of people love the Flight Suits (Gibson & Barnes) Historical A-2s. They are sized to modern folks (i.e., wider bodies, bigger shoulders) which might come in handy if you're not trim like a 1942 20-year-old. And they're located here in the USA, which means easier interaction than overseas makers, and no expensive international shipping charges, unfavorable currency exchange rates, or import duties on top of already premium prices. And the Flight Suits Historical models are priced a couple of hundred dollars less... AND you can still get the website prices if you do your initial ordering from the site, which last time I checked were at least $100 less than their printed catalog.

None of which is to say that Eastman, McCoys, and Aero A-2s aren't "better" or "more accurate" - just that FS makes some damn nice jackets for a reasonable price and there may be advantages to buying locally... Especially if you're primarily considering a generic "house style" jacket rather than a specific contract repro.

1911 Man

A-List Customer
Thank you all for your responses.
I have looked at the Aeros and Real McCoys as well, although I admit I am just learning about all three companies. Any would certainly be great jackets. McCoys struck me as the most expensive, but worth the price (although I am not hinting that Aero or Eastman are inferior). The Star Sportswear by Eastman just struck me as exactly what I am looking for.

Dr Strange, Gibson and Barnes do make excellent jackets. My problem with them, or US Wings, is exactly what you pointed out in your post. They are sized for a more modern fit, which is exactly what I don't need. I am 5'10", 165 lbs, I wear a US Size 40 jacket and have a 32" waist. I am in my mid 30's, and excersize regularly, so I have a very slender / athletic build. I have a hard time finding modern day clothes that fit the way I like. Most dress shirts in my size (15 1/2 x 34) fit me very baggy in the stomach area. A size 40 suit jacket fits great in the shoulders and sleeves, but usually has to be taken in quite a bit in the lower mid section. I have to buy my suit pants seperate from jackets, because 40R suits usually come with 34 pants, which are much too wide, and look terrible when taken in to fit my size.
It's going to be several months before I make this purchase, but I do want to find out as much as I can before hand, so thank you all. I'll probably be lurking around here or the hat section now and again.

JRaptor

Familiar Face
1911 Man said:
The Star Sportswear by Eastman just struck me as exactly what I am looking for.

Then that is the one you should get, I am not saying that Eastman is better than all the others, but I will say that none of the others do it better!

The only other choice IMO is the Real McCoy's!

kojax

Practically Family
a2 jacket

i have the same problem with clothes to.....i looked every where for a-2 jackets i am a small size.....the best jacket so for for fit.....u.s.mfg a2 horsehide 36r nice fit.......flight suite a2 goatskin 38r great fit.......today clothes every thing is made in china lol......

greyhound68

A-List Customer
You are about the same size and weight as me....ok I weigh 175. Just for sizing though you would probably take a 44 in RMNZ and a 42 or may be a 40 in ELC. Flight Suits, which I agree makes an excellent product, tends to run large. I would take a 40. I tried their 42 too big and their 38 a bit too small. RMNZ has Paddy she is the best in getting you fitted in the right jacket. ELC if you go through HPA has Charles who does (IMO) an outstanding job of getting you in the right jacket. I have bought several from him and he has always been right on the size. I would not forget Aero either as Mark does a great job of getting your size right. Some of these folks (I know Mark and Charles) will send you try on jackets to make sure you get the right size.

Estevan

One of the Regulars
Eastman Werber

Folks, this package showed up this morning and made my day literally.

CIMG4579.jpg

Slowly opening if:

CIMG4580.jpg

A little more:

CIMG4583.jpg

CIMG4582.jpg

Oh, yeah!!!

CIMG4585.jpg

CIMG4584.jpg

The Werber's new "Warhorse" is about the best horsehide I have seen from Eastman, it is lightweight and has quite a bit of character (grain) for an Eastman. This jacket appears that it will break in quite nice with a minimal amount of wear. If fits and feels worn right out of the box. I don't think it will take much to break it in and it will soon be my favorite A-2!

werberfrontopen.jpg

werberfrontclosed.jpg

werberback.jpg

I will post some more detailed pics later as soon as I can take the jacket off long enough to photograph it. One thing, though, if you are thinking about ordering a new Werber from ELC, let me remind you that this particular model runs very true to WWII sizing, which means it it quite a tailored fit. Gary Eastman and ELC have come through an met the mark with this new jacket, service and quality once again are second to none. Enjoy.

Windsock

A-List Customer
Looks like a beautifully comfortable fit Steve. Is the colour a little different from the 2nd bunch of shots? Eastman obviously follow the detail through to the packaging also. When my RM arrived is was jammed into a plastic bag and the box looked 2nd hand. The jacket did make up for it though.:)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Very tasty!!

Me thinks you have a winner there Steve. But for goodness sake, try to hold onto it for at least the 'year' before you go looking for your next 'hide fix!!' ;)

By all accounts from any of the other boys who have come into contact with this latest model out of the ELC Factory, it's a winner!:eusa_clap

Estevan

One of the Regulars
Windsock said:
Looks like a beautifully comfortable fit Steve. Is the colour a little different from the 2nd bunch of shots? Eastman obviously follow the detail through to the packaging also. When my RM arrived is was jammed into a plastic bag and the box looked 2nd hand. The jacket did make up for it though.:)

It's more of a mustard color, the 2nd group of shots are not all that great, I shot them indoors w/flash. Not all that great. I'm going to try to take it outside and get some better natural light shots.

Paddy, the fit is spot on, very nice, Gary really did steer me in the right direction with the sizing.

Like I said, very professional all the way around, including a great packaging job and EMS Express Shipping from Gary and his crew. I couldn't be happier.

Estevan

One of the Regulars
PADDY said:
Me thinks you have a winner there Steve. But for goodness sake, try to hold onto it for at least the 'year' before you go looking for your next 'hide fix!!' ;)

By all accounts from any of the other boys who have come into contact with this latest model out of the ELC Factory, it's a winner!:eusa_clap

I'll try to keep it Paddy, hard to let this one go as I actually ordered it new. It is the ONLY jacket I have ever ordered brand new, so I think I'm gonna keep it.:eek:

cheaterome

One of the Regulars
ELC werber

Wow Senicko,
That really looks good on you.

ElC has done an excellent job on creating that early contract. I have had a chance to see a real one in the flesh (hide) and the details Eastman create are amazing. How's the fit , true to size?
I am expecting one from a customer who wants an to get an early Air Corps insignia painted on it . Lucky for me it's going to be a size 42 so I can see if I have to order that size when I get mine
The real one that I have seen was part of a grouping of a b-24 navigator who was on all the early Polesti Oil field raids and later on got a newer war time Aero and had a whole other set of patches put on just like his Werber. The later patches were all AAf approved , but the ones on the 33 Werber were all Italian incised and thick as hell.
It was a complete grouping .

Anyway nice jacket Senicko

Jerome----- Cheaters member in satisfactory standing

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I like the way you can see the grain on the horsehide even in the pics. It's got real character built right in and will only get better with wear. Sigh--another jacket to covet.

fedoralover

kools

Practically Family
I always get excited to receive a package in the mail. In this case, the packaging itself is truly remarkable. I'm sure it's hard to contain your excitement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21