Ultimate EASTMAN (ELC) flying kit thread.

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by patterson, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Bartender

I echo the above comments: really nice jacket. Do you know if Eastman uses chrome tanned horsehide in their jackets? How stiff is the jacket, and is it somewhat of a chore to wear right out of the box and before it is broken in? As it breaks in, please post more pics.

2. aswatland

aswatland My Mail is Forwarded Here

The Werber is veg tanned. I believe they do use chrome tanned leather on some jackets. Its best to check this out on the ELC website.

3. Swoosed

Swoosed One of the Regulars

I have the USA HH also, it is the most graily hide I have ever seen, The jacket is a bit stiff, but it's breaking in very well. I have to agree that there are some detractors to the USA jackets such as the hardware and the epulate position. It is not an "authentic" repro. For the price however, you are not going to find a better piece. I just picked up a mint Eastman house,Veg tanned HH on Greedbay for the same cost as the new USA, don't have it yet. I'll give you the lowdown when it arrives. I have to say that the graining on my USA is very similar to the "warhorse" Eastman has found, only half the price. The only problem with the USA jacket is it looks like there is a lot of pigment on it. This will reduce with wear amd some alcohol rub. I wear it every day. If you don't like the uniform pigmented look, get an analine finish. If I had the cabbage and didn't have to deal with HPA, that Werber would be the next one. I love that damn zipper!!!

4. rainguy

rainguy New in Town

Thanks for sharing, Steve. Great photos of a real beauty. Love the color. Question: How is the fit? Trim? Relaxed? Also, what is the measurement across the chest, armpit to armpit. Thanks.

5. does 'Hookless' have anything to do with the Talon company? Talon zippers were originally promoted and produced by "The Hookless Fastener Co."

bk

6. DiabolicalAngel

DiabolicalAngel One of the Regulars

Hookless use to be the brand name of Talon.

7. and the one on that jacket is, i assume, a faithful repop of the pre-Talon Hookless fastener?

bk

8. Speedster

Speedster Practically Family

From Eastman Leathers own description:

Hookless Zip.
    One of the glowing features we have managed to reproduce for this garment is the early production Hookless zip. Although a Talon branded zip was the most prevalently used maker in these early contract jackets, we felt it would be that little bit more special to go the extra mile and bring you a true icon of the past.

Hookless was the former brand name of Talon. From 1913 to the early 30's, Hookless zips were produced and supplied to many of the companies producing military contract clothing. Not least of course to the A-2 manufacturers, such as Werber. Although the name on the puller changed from Hookless to Talon, after the company decided to change it's name, the zip design was exactly the same.

Since then Hookless has become extinct. But we are producing the Hookless zip again, and to an incredible level of authenticity. From the gauge of the teeth, to the unique box-less, open-end linking design, this is an exact facsimile of the original. Ironically, this early design zipper is stronger and more robust than any of the zips that followed, up to the 1950s.

unquote

9. Speedster

Speedster Practically Family

That Werber is a beauty

Thanks for posting the pics Estevan. That Werber is a beauty. I have Eastmans Rough Wear contract 27752 A-2 in a size 44, but my natural size is 42. Pleased to note that they at long last make a jacket in the true size. The Werber will be high on my must have list.

10. That's what i wanted to know. I assumed as much. Thanks.

bk

11. Raymundo

Raymundo One of the Regulars

Senicko,

Now that you have spent the rent money what's in it for the wife?

12. Estevan

Estevan One of the Regulars

A trip to Paris........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But the Louvre is closed on Tuesdays!!!! :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:

[​IMG]

13. Estevan

Estevan One of the Regulars

:eek:fftopic: Sorry gents, but I didn't take the Werber with me to Paris, just too damn cold and rainy for an A-2. I opted for a 39 Euro special from Decathon. Damn thing had about 20 pockets a hood and repelled water like a duck! I have no idea how those poor lads did it during WWII. I love France, but in the winter the weather is horrible to say the least. I've lived in Europe for many years but it was the first time we went to Paris. What a beautiful city. Well now it's warm again in sunny Spain and definitely not jacket weather :mad: . Oh well, there's always Paris:D :D

14. Fletch

Fletch I'll Lock Up

Especially without a plane to wear it in.

Great looking jacket. But I'm frankly surprised anyone would replicate a 1933 model A-2. It was an era when the country was a little ashamed of those beautiful blue and gold planes. The WW2 generals back then were captains with standing orders to keep the rear end of the Army mule in sight at all times, and when Washington decreed that the AAC would carry all air mail and several pilots died trying, they might have been wearing just this jacket.

15. DiabolicalAngel

DiabolicalAngel One of the Regulars

Nice pics Steve ! Good job you didn't take an A-2 with you. I was out there last year in October and wore my Aero Bronco out, every opportunity I stopped by the tourist places to have a break, a Japanese youngster would come and have a chat about the A-2, it only happened twice in 3 days though!

Shame you missed out on the Louvre, it's a fine place, I can honestly say that I have been in every washroom there having had some dodgy oysters from a street vendor before going in ! :eek:

16. wurtzburg

wurtzburg New in Town

In progress on saving Ringgit Malaysia $3000 for a Werber.

17. PADDY

PADDY I'll Lock Up Bartender

Wurtzburg...

NICE A-2 with Squadron patch in your photo/avatar! Care to post some more photos of it and it abit of background to it?

I'd imagine being out in Malaysia, Buzz Rickson or RMNZ are handier for you?

18. wurtzburg

wurtzburg New in Town

Thanks Paddy. I'm afraid I'm not allowed to post an attachment/pictures. Here is the item number of the jacket that I bought from ebay...200077868715. You still can view the pictures on it. The patch is 535th bomb squadron patch and Miss B Haven (Japanese/Chinese version) nose art painting at the back.

In Malaysia the weather is warm and humid. The suitable jacket for that kind of weather is L-2B and something like it. Leather jacket is suitable at night especially in coastal area in monsoon season.

19. greyhound68

greyhound68 A-List Customer

I saw that jacket on ebay. I bought the MASH MA-1 he had. That patch is great looking.

20. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

Eastman Changes Spec for 1401P, A1 Jackets

In looking at Eastman Leather's site this morning, I noticed that the Rough Wear 1401 has changed. From now on, all of them will be made with Eastman's new "War Horse" hide as standard issue, and they have changed out the zip to a Crown.

The A1 jacket has also undergone some changes and upgrades.
    [​IMG]
    Does this make the previous jackets less "correct?"