Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Underwood No.3

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Hey guys and gals, my gal gave me her 1923 Underwood No.3 typewriter... and it works! I just finished a letter to her that I typed on it. She found it in a thrift shop in Arizona before she moved here... she didn't use it and figured I'd like it... and I DO!

I've been learning about it by just playing around with it and finding out what works and what doesn't... to say the least, I used a lot of paper today lol

What I would like to know is if there is any way to find new ribbon for these antique Underwood’s... It types and you can read what it types but, it seems that its a little light or faded. So, I want to use this more often then not and would like to know if anyone here knows of a place on line or maybe a chain office supply store that does sell replacement ribbon for antique typewriters... and by the way, those old machines are work on ones fingers boy howdy!

It's funny, there isn't a #1 key or an exclamation mark key as well. To make an exlamation mark I type a period and then backspace then an apostrophe over it... looks ok.

This isn't "MY" typewriter, but the same model and year to show all what it looks like:

underwood1.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
If you don't mind getting your fingers a bit inky, you can still find "One Size Fits All" typewriter ribbons at most office supply stores -- just wind it by hand off the plastic spools and onto the spools already in the machine, and you should be fine. Or if the spools are missing, try www.mytypewriter.com -- they sell new ribbon already wound onto vintage metal spools. Not cheap, but also not as messy.

For years I used a supply of old teletype ribbons which accompanied me home from one of my radio jobs on my typewriters, and never had any problems with fit. As long as the ribbon itself is standard width, it can wind onto any spool. The only thing that might not work is the automatic ribbon-reverse function, depending on how your machine triggers that mechanism.

(And to type a "1", use the lower case "l")

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Flann O'Brien, one of my very favorite writers, once told his newspaper readers about his ERWOOD STANDARD TYPEWR, which was what was left after years of thumbs flying up to either end of the carriage and rubbing out the letters.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Forgotten Man said:
It's funny, there isn't a #1 key or an exclamation mark key as well. To make an exlamation mark I type a period and then backspace then an apostrophe over it... looks ok.

Yep, thats how you make an exclamation point. And a 'one' is a lower case L. We had a typewriter similar to that in the house when I was a kid. I'd love to find one now.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I love those old typewriters.
Computer keyboards used to throw me off because they don't have that solid clack clack of a real typewriter.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Yeah, I would love to find some of those wire "IN" and "OUT" bins! 20s-40s office stuff is really neat I think!

My poor coffee table is a vintage desk right now... I can pound out a letter wile I watch TV or an old movie... It's great!lol

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Nice typewriter, FM! I also have an Underwood Standard, but I think it's from the '50s: Later than yours. Somehow, I don't have a picture of it. :eusa_doh:

Forgotten Man said:
Yeah, I would love to find some of those wire "IN" and "OUT" bins! 20s-40s office stuff is really neat I think!

You can get new wire baskets at Staples; too Early American Modern. Why not add a little class to your vintage office with some wood in/out baskets like these?
dscn0951.jpg

Then get yourself a wooden card file to match.
dscn0944.jpg

Don't forget your chair! More wood.
dscn0116mod.jpg

You'll also need a stapler. Every vintage office needs a Swingline stapler like one of these.
dscn0412.jpg

dscn0410.jpg

Need a three-hole punch? Get one of these.
dscn1013.jpg

Everything is mine. Except the punch, that belongs to my brother. And I got the first two items and the first stapler from work: The company was founded in 1946, and the owner never threw away anything useful. The second stapler was my mother's. I got the chairs from a friend.

I'm beginning to "thin the herd," so to speak, so make me a reasonable offer and the wooden items can be yours. I'll even deliver them to you on a future visit to Monrovia. Which, lately, seems to have become a rather common event. :rolleyes:

Lee

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
That Underwood is a beauty! I have a very similar Underwood myself, not sure if it's a No.3, though.

MrNewportCustom, awesome pics of classic office equipment! One of my passions is old office stuff - it's all so functional and solidly built.

Jay

Practically Family
MrNewportCustom said:
You can get new wire baskets at Staples; too Early American Modern. Why not add a little class to your vintage office with some wood in/out baskets like these?

Actually, Staples carries wood in/out baskets now. Just not the double stacked variety.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy