Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Uninvited guests

When you see a bug in your house, do you

• Scream and run away

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kill it

• Try to capture it and then set it free outside

• Call the exterminator and stay in a hotel until he/she arrives

• Total voters

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
If it gets into the house it's a gonner, I don't want to have to find them dead later in the tub or sink or have to clean their webs up from the ceiling. The only thing I cannot hack to kill is dragonflies they creep the bageezus of out me so I just run away, luckily none of those have made it into the house.

Novella

Practically Family
K.D. Lightner said:
Raccoons are so ornery; my brother tells a story that, one day, he saw a raccoon on his roof. He picked up a rock and threw it at the creature hoping to scare it away. The raccoon looked at him and then continued his rooftop foraging. Brother picked up another rock and threw it at the raccoon. At that, the creature picked up the rock and threw right it back at my brother. Brother went in the house.

lol That's too funny!

One evening I was roasting marshmallows over an eternal memorial flame in a park (oh, that sounds so wrong - it was an, um, tribute?). When my friends and I packed up our stuff and started to walk away, we noticed that we had a "friend" following us. We were stalked by a raccoon who must have liked the smell of burnt marshmallows and the appearence of graham crackers and chocolate. Our new friend crept closer and closer to us as we walked, and we began to get worried that he was going to have a go at the leftovers we were carrying. Thankfully when we got into a well-lit area with other people he gave up the chase. I was relieved - I didn't want to test his desire for smores leftovers against my and my friends' ability to stay away from teeth.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Ladybugs, crickets, grasshoppers, June beetles and other "cute" insects get amnesty regardless of their locale.

Mosquitoes are stalked and killed with extreme prejudice, especially when in the bedroom.

Spiders in the rain room experience the wave machine that violently and mercilessly directs them to the big tube slide. Ones that wear a red hourglass are presumed guilty. Execution is immediate.

The only thing that could make spraying ants more fun would be if they could scream. Same goes for roaches. Wouldn't that make a great horror movie to show the little creeps (used in the literal sense)? "Now Showing: Attack of the Spray Monster. See the liquid death! Hear the little screams! Experience the legs-up carnage!"

I have a love-hate relationship with snails: I love to hate them. Back when I was in junior high, I leaned back and landed a hand on a snail lurking beside me in a friend's lawn. The combination of "scrunch" under my hand and "squish" between my fingers was just too much. It took ten minutes to coax me down from the light pole across the street. Until that day, it was fun to pick up a snail and watch it compact itself into its shell. Not anymore! Slugs are guilty by association. I avoid both with a passion.

Lee

Novella said:
Thankfully when we got into a well-lit area with other people he gave up the chase. I was relieved - I didn't want to test his desire for smores leftovers against my and my friends' ability to stay away from teeth.

Yeah, them critters are stubborn. Shouting and even starting to charge them don't work on the ones in my area, hence the airsoft pistol and its backup in the house.

DW Evans

New in Town
For the most part I only kill them if they're causing problems. Otherwise, I'll just catch them and toss 'em outside, or someplace out of view. And I agree with gluegungeisha that my favorite insect would also have to be the Praying Mantis.

A Praying Mantis Captures A Hummingbird!
Mantis_hummingbird.jpg

Speaking of bugs, I came across this article.

"A man who lived in his own “zoo” of lizards and insects was fatally bitten by a pet ... spider — then eaten by the other creepy-crawlies..."

There are no gorey images, but some descriptive text; viewer discretion is advised.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2004092008,00.html

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I'm a wimp -- I scream and run away, or get someone else to take care of it!

Today I finally figured out what that smell was in our kitchen -- a piece of rotting fruit that was covered in little gnats. Of course I panicked, attempted to get rid of it but kept running away screaming. I called my roomie first, she wouldn't be home for another two nights. Then I recruited my friend that was coming over to take care of it. Thank god for her! I would have died if I'd have to live with those buggies for 2 more nights.

What can I say, I'm a big wuss! :(

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I catch-and-release spiders, beetles, bees, wasps, and the occasional firefly. (I always imagine the fireflies are drunk or something. "I did not WANT to be drunk in public, they threw me into public. Arrest them!")

I kill flies, skeeters, and gnats.

I can never decide what to do with moths.

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
Speaking of uninvited guests...

I captured and set free a SNAAAAAKE in my living room yesterday!!!

So, I'm setting up my ironing and about to set a shirt on a nearby chair, when I see what appears to be my old wooden snake toy from when I was a little kid. "Now that's odd," I thought. I went to move it, and the damn thing coiled up and I screamed and ran out in search of snakey-moving tools! I came up with a big pole, some fire implements, a mouse-eaten water pitcher and a Trader Joe's bag. The snake took an affinity to the Trader Joe's bag, and after an hour of chasing it this way and that, I managed to get him coiled up in the bag before jumping on the open end and wrapping him up like an elementry schooler's bagged lunch.

I had no idea what kind of snake that was (not a rattler, thankfully...)! All I knew was that I was NOT sleeping at night with that guy slithering around, especially with my dogs in the house wanting to make friends. I'm sure he was tracking the rodents.

rebelgtp

One of the Regulars
oh most things that come in get killed except for spiders oh and i have been known to catch the odd praying mantis and bring them inside to help in the hunt.

it seems like all of my pets take up the fight also. dogs chasing bugs snapping teeth, cats pouncing on bugs.

only time i have ever had snakes loose in the house i had kinda sorta accidentally let them go when i was a kid :rolleyes: ...i had been out catching snakes all afternoon and i had about 12 or so in a bucket and they got out...it was hard trying to find them all before my mom got home that night lol .

Edward

Bartender
I don't like to kill things if I can avoid it.... 'cept for moths. They DIE on sight. I take it extremely personally if ever I find a moth hole in my clothes. VILE creatures. Moths creep me out bad, I think because unlike a lot of other things, which can only bite me, they might destroy my precious clothes.

I'm lucky, though, I don't have a bug problem at all. There were some black ants, but they went long ago. I'm glad I never have had mice, I'm ok with swatting bugs, but something like a mouse, I find the idea of killnig it hard. If I had a cat in the house (my home shall forever remain incomplete until I share it with a cat), I'd let it loose on anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo