Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unsaeasonably mild weather

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
For the past week in London and the South of England the weather has been unseasonably and unpleasantly mild with south and south-westerly winds straight out of hell, high humidity, perpetual greyness and warm nights. There have been none of the nice crisp mornings and clear days we had last month and it has been thoroughly depressing. Like many people, I hate it and yet the weather forecasters seem to come at it from a completely different perspective and saying 'at least it will be mild'.

Are any of you experiencing unseasonably mild, damp weather and longing for it to break?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It's been bouncing back and forth between the low sixties and the low thirties here for the last three weeks. As far as I'm concerned it can stay in the sixties all winter if it wants to -- I dread winter, and every day it's warm is a day I'm not paying to heat the house.

What depresses me is the sun setting by 430 in the afternoon, and realizing that we've still got a month to go before the days start getting microscopically longer.

NYC has been silly mild for November. We had two days in the 70s last week and most mornings haven't been lower than the high 50s, both numbers are 10-15 degrees above normal. And we haven't had any of the spikes down to the 30s that you usually have by now in November.

I'm finding, as I am getting older, that I, without conscious effort, have been taking a more it-is-what-it-is attitude toward the weather and, unless it is a pouring buckets on a day I need to be outside a lot, I don't complain anymore and just roll with the weather. I'm hoping it's a sign I won't be an old curmudgeon one day.

Very odd weather though - makes it hard to believe Thanksgiving is only two-plus weeks away.

Temps just dropped to freezing overnight in the past couple of days. Afternoon temps have ranged from low 50s-low 70s (very little rain). I love it. Cold and snow is something that I never look forward to. The warmer the better, up to around 85. I, too, am hoping for a mild winter.
HD

Edward

Bartender
I'm great with the damp. Doesn't rain anything like enough in this country. I'm very glad that this year we've actually had an Autum, too... was it last year that the Summer seemed to stretch so long, we then went stright to Winter? Worst for me was 2012, when the Winter dragged on until Easter.... and then we seemed to go straight into hideous, hot and sunny Summer weather.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
A large part of southern England & most of western mainland europe is currently being bathed in warm air sucked up from North Africa resulting in the rather uncomfortable muggyness. Many temperature records have been broken this year in Europe & it's also important to note that the average global temperature has been the highest this year since records began.
With global warming & climat change, we are going to have to get used to unseasonal weather since seasonal averages will no longer be relevant.
At the end of this month COP 21 will be taking place in Paris but we shouldn't be too optimistic as every country involved will be fighting for it's own interests.

Last edited:

oak1971

Familiar Face
Frost last night, but overall pretty decent for november. We have only been measuring temps accurately for 100 years or so, which equates to a rounding error over the life of the planet. If you live long enough you may get to see temps swing back the other way, which will be much more unpleasant.

stratcat

One of the Regulars
Doesn't rain anything like enough in this country.
No, you just live in the wrong part of the UK!:p
Actually we've had a very dry autumn this year until a few days ago when we seemed to have got all of autumns rain in a few days. If it carries on I think we may get some serious flooding. The river Kent looks very high.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
NYC has been silly mild for November. We had two days in the 70s last week and most mornings haven't been lower than the high 50s, both numbers are 10-15 degrees above normal. And we haven't had any of the spikes down to the 30s that you usually have by now in November.

Chicago is mercurial as usual, some spikes, dips at night and cool mornings. Wore my A2 several times to the office
and an Irish fisherman knit sweater today. Indian summer can linger all she wants.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Moderate (40's -60's F) days and frosty (low 30's) nights here in the Midwest. I have a new ANJ 4 shearling jacket due to arrive any week now, and I hope it will be cool enough to wear it. Until then, my A-2 jacket and a sweater are doing well to keep away the chill.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
My understanding is that this is all El Nino. The more tropical, and sub-temperate places like the Southwestern US (most importantly: California) and Mexico, and Central America and places like that get a cooler, and MUCH wetter season. Meanwhile, the temperate areas like Midwest and New England US and London, are going to get a warmer and drier season.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21