Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US Wings: Need an Honest Opinion

TLS

New in Town
I have been looking for A2's for a while now. US Wings has come up now and then. They are currently running a few $195 specials. I am specifically looking for an A2 WITH side entry pockets. How do you guys with the mil spec not get cold hands? So far, the only manufacturer's that offer A2's with the pockets are US Wings and The Cockpit. If anyone knows of any other manufacturers that offer this feature, please pass it on. Furthermore, how is the quality of US Wings and The Cockpit? I am not looking for a 100% correct jacket, obviously, but don't want to spend too much. Say, $500 is my limit. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Look at Gibson & Barnes' Civil A-2. I've had one for nearly TEN YEARS and have worn the hell out of it: aside from some fading of the dye on the edge of the windflap and the one epaulette that my car's seatbelt crosses, and some fuzzing of the knits (*), it's held up really well.

(* I'm not sure if they're using the same "texturized nylon" knits now, but these are mega-tough, yet were apparently *designed* to quickly fuzz out for a hairy, lived-in look. It's my only [very minor] complaint with the jacket.)

http://www.gibson-barnes.com/Civil+A-2/id/18/cat_id/18/prod_id/54/

G&B products are a notch up in quality from US Wings, and probably the Cockpit too. (Personally, I believe that both USW and Cockpit jackets - and a bunch of other brand names- actually come from a single NJ factory.) Which isn't to say that a USW A-2 at $195 isn't a good buy for a perfectly serviceable jacket... I'm just pointing out that there's another good choice for an A-2 w/additional pockets.

Also, I don't know if sizing is much of an issue for you... But G&B's numbered, plus Short and Tall, sizing provides for fitting a wider range of body types than USW's more limited S-M-L-XL scheme.

Last edited:

too much coffee

Practically Family
Hello TLS;

Welcome to the Lounge!
Another viable jacket is a horsehide A-2 from U.S. Authentic. They can build your jacket with handwarmer pockets, interior pockets or just about any custom feature that you desire.
Their horsehide is strong and thick and the workmanship is very good, although not 100% accurate to a vintage A-2, for a $500 jacket. Run a "search" here and do the homework.
Also check out ebay frequently; $500 to spend can get you a nice Aero or sometimes an Eastman. They won't have handwarmer pockets but you can always wear gloves!
Good luck and...

Regards, coffee

Last edited:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I had a US Authentic horsehide A-2 for years and loved it. (I eventually put on a little weight and it became too tight at the gut - I sold it to another Lounger last winter, and I intend to get a Good Wear when John is taking orders again.) The cotton lining and wool knits were way more comfortable than the synthetics on modern-spec jackets.

That said, I'm not sure that I'd recommend it to a first-time A-2 buyer. The hide was so thick and tough, that even years after breaking in, I sometimes felt like the jacket was wearing me. And US A's trim-but-long sizing wasn't ever really right for my shape, whereas G&B's modern generous fit is. Again, I loved my US A A-2... but it was always more of an "effort" to wear than my G&B jackets.

There are lots of good choices out there - it's really about what you're looking for. I agree with coffee: do your homework.

Davidm

Familiar Face
i have horsehide US Wings A-2.
Leather is okish, but knits and zip are just terrible after 1 year of wear.
Plus some details of the fit i really don't like: arms are too wide, collar is too big.
So IMHO better to look at the other maker.

svennex

New in Town
This is probably less of an issue if you live the US but i had a prety bad experience whit USwings customer service. They screwed up my order and it took about 2,5 months before everything was fixed.

If you buy from USwings. Get the A2 "2000" and not the "current issue"(beckause of a mistake, i got both). The 2000 is ALOT nicer, it's closer to a classic A2, and it's Made in USA. The 2000 has a 3-piece body and 2-piece sleeves while the CI has a 5-piece body and 3-piece sleeves+underarm gussets.

Also, the CI actually had a sticky residue(!) along the inside edges of the handwarmer pockets. The only real problem i have whit the 2000 is that the handwarmer pockets are very shallow and only just serve their purpose.

I like USW for the price. If you have ~$500, look at G&B, Schott and USAuthentic. Also - really look at the Classifieds here and eBay. $500 could get you a great jacket. hot a custom top of the line new one, but a great jacket in the mid-range.
But, for $195, I would say USW make a great jacket. I have three I do like a lot, including a cowhide A2.

TLS

New in Town
Thanks for the replies everyone. I am a smaller guy, 5' 7" 120lbs, trim build. I think G&B would work best for me since they do have sizes in Short. I did check out US A. Their regular A2 is 314 but it then jumps to 424 for a custom? All I would want would be the side pockets and maybe a inside one. I will have to contact them for exact pricing. Keep the replies coming, always helps.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the replies everyone. I am a smaller guy, 5' 7" 120lbs, trim build. I think G&B would work best for me since they do have sizes in Short. I did check out US A. Their regular A2 is 314 but it then jumps to 424 for a custom? All I would want would be the side pockets and maybe a inside one. I will have to contact them for exact pricing. Keep the replies coming, always helps.

Great point. I checked with US Authentics regarding sizing as I'd read that their jackets ran long. I inquired about the sleeve length for a 40R and was told 38 inches! That's a good 2-3 inches too long. I'm 5'9 but I always buy Regular. Having sleeves of a sportcoat or even a wool overcoat shortened are no big deal, but having leather sleeves of an A2 wouldn't be cheap. In addition, if the sleeves are that long, then the body will likely be too long as well and there is no fixing that problem.

normanf

One of the Regulars
Great point. I checked with US Authentics regarding sizing as I'd read that their jackets ran long. I inquired about the sleeve length for a 40R and was told 38 inches! That's a good 2-3 inches too long. I'm 5'9 but I always buy Regular. Having sleeves of a sportcoat or even a wool overcoat shortened are no big deal, but having leather sleeves of an A2 wouldn't be cheap. In addition, if the sleeves are that long, then the body will likely be too long as well and there is no fixing that problem.

If you find it doesn't fit you correctly, then you're better off spending the extra money and getting a custom jacket. You'll be happier when you wear it and it looks perfect!

TLS

New in Town
I think I have just about made up my mind. I am still going to call Gibson & Barnes, but I think a Civil A-2 in Seal Brown size 36S will be good. Also, can someone point out the $20 difference between goatskin and cowhide?

kojax

Practically Family
hello tls i know a few sales people at gibson barnes they have no a2 jackets in stock. last week to make a jacket was 4 weeks give them a call see what they say good look. i have one of there a2 goatskin going on 4 years still loooks good take care

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
It's not about the $20 difference, it's a question of which leather you want. Both are great choices for this kind of jacket.

Goatskin is the traditional choice. Very supple and flexible, but extremely tough - vitually tearproof and scuffproof. It holds up to the elements well, and doesn't show much wear (apart from the surface color coat eventually fading at stresspoints). The surface has a fine (as in small) pebbled grain.

Cowhide varies widely in terms of thickness and surface features, but it usually appears thicker/tougher than goatskin. But it's really not essentially tougher, it is likely to wear faster than goatskin. And depending on thickness, it will be less flexible. The surface grain may be barely present, or show a range of creases and folds.

Of course, both leathers vary to some extent based on how different batches are raised, tanned, and processed, but generally speaking: Cowhide will read tougher and essentially has more of the feel of a motorcycle jacket. Goatskin is lighter and more supple, but has been the military's choice for decades for very good reasons.

You can't go wrong with either one!

If you care not about authenticity, and you like a jacket to show more character, cow/steer is more fun. Maybe Warner too, slightly.
Personal choice.

TLS

New in Town
Just wanted to update all who contributed. I actually jumped on a Sale Lost Worlds A-2 for $350, size 34R. They were a pleasure to deal with. Will upload pics when I get it. I don't even care that it doesn't have side pockets, as I prefer the Russet and Horsehide combination. I am so excited about this jacket!

Fairlane

New in Town
I have an A-2 that I have worn every year for about 15 years now, it was made by " Flight Suits LTD " of ElCajon, Ca. It is not old, as that there is velcro for the name tag, but I do not know the exact age, as that I got it at an estate sale. It has the dual pockets of which you speak, as well as epaulets, a feature I like.
Cheers!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I have an A-2 that I have worn every year for about 15 years now, it was made by " Flight Suits LTD " of ElCajon, Ca. It is not old, as that there is velcro for the name tag, but I do not know the exact age, as that I got it at an estate sale. It has the dual pockets of which you speak, as well as epaulets, a feature I like.
Cheers!

Flight Suits is Gibson and Barnes' former name.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart