Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

USA Customs Fees

sbhva

Familiar Face
I was wondering if some US purchasers of UK jackets ( ELC, Aero, ALC, etc.) could tell me what they paid for Customs Fees? I am close to making a purchase and don't want to blind-sided. I like to make informed decisions.

Thanks in advance

bobjones

A-List Customer
sbhva said:
I was wondering if some US purchasers of UK jackets ( ELC, Aero, ALC, etc.) could tell me what they paid for Customs Fees? I am close to making a purchase and don't want to blind-sided. I like to make informed decisions.

Thanks in advance

About 10% of the purchase price. If you order through Mark Moye the charges are covered by him.

RLM

Familiar Face
Well, I think I paid $35 customs fees for an approximately $700 watch from Germany about a year ago, so if Bob's estimate is accurate, then I guess its not based solely on the stated value of the item. Either that or the fees have gone up.

PENSACOLA

One of the Regulars
Yeah, but if you order through Amanda at the Aero factory, chances are you may not get charged as well...

I have ordered many Aeros in the past from Amanda--never have gotten charged, via custom fees, but that's speaking for myself in my particular situation.

Kid Mac

Practically Family
I also ordered with Amanda at the Aero factory, and I didn't get charged for custom fees. Maybe luck of the draw.

Mac

Naphtali

Practically Family
I just bought a 2Plus2 from PADDY. Ask me in about ten days when it is delivered, and I'll have firm numbers.
sbhva said:

Thanks in advance

Elmo

New in Town
sbhva said:

Thanks in advance

It's purely a matter of luck and the amount declared for the item. I import all the time. A very high cost item will likely get caught.

I found out [the hard way] that USCustoms reports large purchases to state sales tax authorities

You should be OK

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany