Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

USA Members: I Need Your Help.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Barnes & Noble, 4045 S. College Ave., Fort Collins, CO.

I saw no sign of a "power column" in this store, although it's only about 10 years old. I spent 15 minutes looking over all the magazine racks and couldn't find Classic Style anywhere.

I went to one of their customer service desks and they looked it up - said they did carry it - then they went and searched the Men's Interest area - no luck. The clerk also went back into the stockroom and checked for any issues, but couldn't find anything.

It's possible that they only received a few and were sold out, but I have no way of confirming this.

EdinLA44

Familiar Face
In the last couple of weeks, I've been to store 2111 in Torrance, CA and store 2986 in Manhattan Beach, CA and in both stores they had about 8-10 copies on the middle shelf in the men's interest section displayed in front, next to GQ, Esquire, etc. I didn't notice any in the power racks, but I don't usually check those anyway. I bought a few copies for some friends and family.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Why do women have "Interests" and men have "Lifestyles?"

At least, that's how it seems at the B&N in the Easton shopping area in Columbus, OH.

Six copies on a tower that had a sign denoting it as "This month's picks" and seven copies in the "Lifestyles" section in the third row of the top section. The seven were hidden behind the plastic wrappers sticking up from the Maxims in front of it. I shifted them to the left, swapping places with something else. :p

The store is number 2925, 4005 Townsfair Way, Columbus, OH 43219.

Cheers,
Tom
(Who has interests, but hesitates to call them "lifestyles.")

Archie Goodwin

One of the Regulars
Barnes and Noble Mandeville, LA 2/10/2007

Classic Style was in the Men's section behind other magazines. If I hadn't known what I was looking for I would not have seen it as it was covered by other mags. I checked the "power column", but it was not there.

katiemakeup

Practically Family
Just logged on real quick, so I don't know if this was covered..

but Barnes & Noble Burbank didn't have any mags anywhere:eek: unless they were all sold:D

Also went back to Encino and still on the stand, but not in the men's section

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Finally got a chance to check my nearest B&N -- #2742, Augusta ME --, and they have a very nice display of CS (about 5 copies) on the "This Month's Picks" rack, and a not so prominent display of five more on the Men's Interest rack -- a bunch of other publications were obscuring it, so I took the liberty of rearranging things a bit to make it more visible.

Great cover, by the way -- it really pops out from the other magazines!

koopkooper

Practically Family
Barnes and Noble are going to think there is some kind of conspiracy going on when all these hatted gentlemen in overcoats start hanging around the mens section of the magazine rack nationwide!

DecoDahlia

Familiar Face
Glendale, CA B&N

Classic Style was in/under the "Lifestyle" section at the Barnes & Noble in Glendale, CA (L.A. suburb next to the Atwarter/Los Feliz area of L.A.), between Town & County and Men's Lifestyle.

Barnes & Noble #2913
245 N. Glendale Ave.
Glendale, CA 91206
(818) 246-4677​

Here's a tip for finding a Barnes & Noble store's number without asking a clerk; the Barnes & Noble Mastercard application in each store has the store's number, address, and phone number stamped on the inside.

FedoraGent

One Too Many
So MK...

So MK, out of curiosity...are you gathering the list so that you can goto your distributor and let them know that there aren't copies in certain place? Are they going to rectify this because I'd REALLY like to get a copy during a regular visit to one of the many bookstores out here. And I have a bunch of friends that would be interested as well.

Jon

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Picked up last copy of Classic Style magazine

Store 2909
Almaden Expressway
San Jose, CA

It was hidden in the correct section (Men's Interest) with a person who put a reversed Playboy magazine :eek: in front of it.

Would never have seen it if I hadn't been looking for it.

Vintage Betty.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

FedoraGent said:
So MK, out of curiosity...are you gathering the list so that you can goto your distributor and let them know that there aren't copies in certain place? Are they going to rectify this because I'd REALLY like to get a copy during a regular visit to one of the many bookstores out here. And I have a bunch of friends that would be interested as well.

Jon

I have been having a dialog with them as reports come in. The promotion to be on the power column ends in a few days. After that it will just be in the men's interest section....in theory. The good thing is that they know we are watching closely.

WH1

Practically Family
Huntsville, Alabama Barnes&Noble

Had it on the power rack and a few copies in the mens section. I bought my copy and both my wife and I have read it cover to cover. Outstanding, we can't wait for the next issue. Sending my subscription in this week.

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
#2936 San Mateo (Hillsdale Mall)

The B&N on El Camino Real in San Mateo has Classic Style about eye-level on the top shelf in the Men's Interest section. There's a plentiful supply and it's prominently placed, although the shelf is designed such that the magazine in front mostly obscures the magazine in back. Anyone standing still and browsing should be able to see the title at least.

They also have a This Month's Picks column adjacent to the main periodical racks with an additional supply of Classic Style.

Steve

Practically Family
The Pensacola Barnes and Noble (#02926) carries it in their magazine section. They were out of them last I was there.

Leading Edge

One of the Regulars
Just another agent of change. . .

I shopped store #640171 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on the 27th of February.

The premier issue is on the rack.
Comments: It was located in the second level up which means it is not immediately visible (a real loss considering that exquisite downward fedora shot on the cover). It was also partially covered by another magazine (IMHO: an increasing number of bookstore customers should be required to participate in a mandatory Dewey Decimal/alphabetizing/browsing manners course before being allowed to participate in the rituals of browsing the bookseller).

It is easily noticed on the power column (definitely a marketer desperately pumping up a pitch with that naming).

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
update from Santa Rosa agent

Only a couple of copies left. Someone had already moved one forward,
I have never seen any copies in the columns.

Sincerely,
the Wolf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran