Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson custom riding jacket - thoughts?

Bjorn240

One of the Regulars
I'm thinking about ordering a new Vanson jacket with the following specs:

Hard Core Highwayman
Remove full-length action back and add shoulder gussets
Remove side lacing
Replace all pulls with standard rectangular pulls

The idea is to get a very clean cross-zip jacket. I've had a Vanson Chopper, but I didn't like the waxed leather, and I thought the side buckles were unnecessary. I also have a AR2 that I use quite a bit, but I'd like a cross-zip jacket. I considered an Aero Ridley, but I'm a bit more confident in Vanson jackets working well for riding. Would be 95% a riding jacket, and 5% casual. I ride a 2006 FZ1 mostly, so not overly racy position.

Thoughts?

Mark

Practically Family
I'm a little out of my depth here I expect but could you not just buy a jacket that meets your requirements without all the (added costs) customizations? I imagine Aero, SB and others can meet your needs. Not sure what you mean by "Hard core Highwayman". Good luck.

I'm thinking about ordering a new Vanson jacket with the following specs:

Hard Core Highwayman
Remove full-length action back and add shoulder gussets
Remove side lacing
Replace all pulls with standard rectangular pulls

The idea is to get a very clean cross-zip jacket. I've had a Vanson Chopper, but I didn't like the waxed leather, and I thought the side buckles were unnecessary. I also have a AR2 that I use quite a bit, but I'd like a cross-zip jacket. I considered an Aero Ridley, but I'm a bit more confident in Vanson jackets working well for riding. Would be 95% a riding jacket, and 5% casual. I ride a 2006 FZ1 mostly, so not overly racy position.

Thoughts?

If it's a motorcycle jacket you're after - and by that I mean one that you're actually going to ride in... I'm sorry, but I wouldn't even give any other maker a thought. And for a jacket that's going to be used primarily as a riding jacket, it's Vanson all the way. Aero makes a sweet jacket but... Yeah, no. Vanson.

As for the jacket itself, C2 and Thunderbird sound exactly like what you're looking for. Or Derby. Why not just get one of these?

Vanson Thunderbird
72742_1024x1024.jpg

tbir_back_lg.jpg

Vanson C2
1214694343(2).jpg

1214694343(4).jpg

Derby
IMG_1708(2).jpg

IMG_1711(2).jpg

Last edited:

2wheelgrplr

A-List Customer
If it's a motorcycle jacket you're after - and by that I mean one that you're actually going to ride in... I'm sorry, but I wouldn't even give any other maker a thought. And for a jacket that's going to be used primarily as a riding jacket, it's Vanson all the way. Aero makes a sweet jacket but... Yeah, no. Vanson.

As for the jacket itself, C2 and Thunderbird sound exactly like what you're looking for. Or Derby. Why not just get one of these?

Vanson Thunderbird
1214694343(2).jpg

1214694343(4).jpg

Vanson C2
1214694343(2).jpg

1214694343(4).jpg

Derby
IMG_1708(2).jpg

IMG_1711(2).jpg

Monitor, thanks for sharing those pics. Vanson's web site does not do their jackets justice at all! and yeah, I second what you said: You want old-school motorcycle jacket for riding purpose? Just pick a Vanson and be done with it. Period. I love my Aero, Thedi, Schott etc, but when its long-distance hardcore riding I'm doing and if it's not my technical modern adventure suit (Revit, Klim), then I'm reaching for my heavyweight Lost Worlds or Vanson (I own one LW and three Vanson leather jackets, plus another three Vanson waxed-cotton jackets, and more on top of my to-buy list - that says it right there!) And yeah, to the OP, why customise a Highwayman, when there are other cross zip jackets in Vanson's lineup that pretty much address what you're trying to achieve with the customisation? Except maybe the "replace all pulls with standard rectangular pulls" bit ... Best of luck and please share pics of your new Vanson when you get one!

Monitor, thanks for sharing those pics. Vanson's web site does not do their jackets justice at all! and yeah, I second what you said: You want old-school motorcycle jacket for riding purpose? Just pick a Vanson and be done with it. Period. I love my Aero, Thedi, Schott etc, but when its long-distance hardcore riding I'm doing and if it's not my technical modern adventure suit (Revit, Klim), then I'm reaching for my heavyweight Lost Worlds or Vanson (I own one LW and three Vanson leather jackets, plus another three Vanson waxed-cotton jackets, and more on top of my to-buy list - that says it right there!) And yeah, to the OP, why customise a Highwayman, when there are other cross zip jackets in Vanson's lineup that pretty much address what you're trying to achieve with the customisation? Except maybe the "replace all pulls with standard rectangular pulls" bit ... Best of luck and please share pics of your new Vanson when you get one!

Exactly! And I seriously believe that Vanson's website has gotten to the point where it is actually detrimental for their business! From the site, you could easily fall under the impression that you would be getting a jacket no better than whatever you'd get from one of those usaleatherjackets.com or some other crap website like that... Which is why I always tell people to go to Vanson's Japanese website.
http://www.vanson.jp/cart.cgi?cmd=s&sc=ca1

I think other makers are secretly praying Vanson never updates their website. But just replacing the... thumbnail photos they have now with the ones from the Japanese site would do miracles for them!

01flhr

One of the Regulars
I just priced a custom vanson friday. For my money im going to give langlitz a try. They seem to hold their value better and it sounds like a cascade would be about what your looking for.

Bjorn240

One of the Regulars
Good thoughts guys. I appreciate it!

Of the three other Vanson suggestions, all are fine jackets, but I really don't like the half-belts on the Derby and Thunderbird. If I am going to have a belt, I'd like it to be removable, like on the C2. My suspicion is that belt buckles will scratch my tank, even with a tank pad in place. The other thing I don't love about the C2 and Thunderbird are the epaulettes, but I can live with that. I do like the back of the Thunderbird and C2 a lot and the shoulder gussets look good.

A Thunderbird with the belt and epaulettes removed would be great. But maybe a stock C2 with the belt left at home is the sensible choice.

It's easy to overthink this, but this'll be my jacket for local rides and running to the pub, so I want it to look good. The rest of the time on my bike, I'm a neon-suited Power Ranger in an Aerostich....

Appreciate the thoughts. And totally agree that Vanson is the way to go for riding gear. My AR2 is great for bike to casual stuff.

Last edited:
Good thoughts guys. I appreciate it!

Of the three other Vanson suggestions, all are fine jackets, but I really don't like the half-belts on the Derby and Thunderbird. If I am going to have a belt, I'd like it to be removable, like on the C2. My suspicion is that belt buckles will scratch my tank, even with a tank pad in place. The other thing I don't love about the C2 and Thunderbird are the epaulettes, but I can live with that. I do like the back of the Thunderbird and C2 a lot and the shoulder gussets look good.

A Thunderbird with the belt and epaulletes removed would be great. But maybe a stock C2 with the belt left at home is the sensible choice.

It's easy to overthink this, but this'll be my jacket for local rides and running to the pub, so I want it to look good. The rest of the time on my bike, I'm a neon-suited Power Ranger in an Aerostich....

Appreciate the thoughts. And totally agree that Vanson is the way to go for riding gear. My AR2 is great for bike to casual stuff.

For these few tiny modifications, I'm not sure if a custom Vanson might be worth it. You will have to wait for the jacket to be made which be over a month and there's an upcharge. I'm not sure how much but I think it's considerably more than what you'd pay for the OTR jacket. I say go with the regular C2. And yeah, I've found that overthinking these things is the most counterproductive thing you can do and it leads into the pitfalls of never being satisfied with anything. Ever! And they're all just such good jackets that in the long run you'll forget about any doubts you have ever had.

Lots of people just cut the epaulettes off, too.

As for the belt, just put the buckle into the coin pocket and you're set. :D

01flhr

One of the Regulars
I just talked to them. Doing a custom fit is 250 extra for an off the rack jacket and i think it was 10$ per change. I could be getting that part mixed up with langlitz and the wait on a custom is 3- 4 months. Thats why i made the langlitz suggestion. A base cascade is 1000 and the fit is included. Most of the vansons were in the 800 range that i was looking at by the time they did the custom fit i was close to 1100.

01flhr

One of the Regulars
While im at it, bates wanted 850 in my size and said deleting things was fine since the jacket was going to be made from scratch anyway and z custom quoted me around 950 and would do whatever i wanted. Im just saying vanson is not your only option for a real bike jacket in that price range with a custom fit. Bates and z both use domestic 1.3mm leather and are worn by racers too. I just figured at my price point for vanson custom i was close enough to just say go big or go home and go with the langlitz.

01flhr

One of the Regulars
My problem is that everyone ive talked to has been extremely nice over the phone. Langlitz and z have great reviews online, not so much with bates and vanson. It makes me really want to order one from each.

Bjorn240

One of the Regulars
Thanks twin-cam road king! Is your 01 a carbie or do you have the Magneti-Marelli EFI? Since I've had 3 Vansons and am happy with the quality and the sizing, I think I'm inclined to stick with Vanson. I'll head up to Fall River and have a look at a few C2s.

Bjorn240

One of the Regulars
And agreed that the Vanson pictures have a real sense of "proof of life" about them. They're like pictures for ants... need to be at least 3 times larger.

01flhr

One of the Regulars
Unfortunately its mm. I dont have any issues out of it but tuner selection is a little slim for doing mods. Ive had two pcv's crap out on me so im not really inclined to get a 3rd at 350 a piece. Im more inclined to do a carb conversion but the efi is sooo nice. Flip the switch and go. I cant agree with you more about vanson making a great product. My hardcore highwayman is awesome but it looks like off the rack may not be in the cards for me and they dont keep my size in stock. One thing id see about adding is a snap at the bottom. The zippers on a bates amd langlitz i had were both in great shape and were from the 70s. My hardcore isnt ready for a replacement but its not going to get the longevity the other two got.

While im at it, bates wanted 850 in my size and said deleting things was fine since the jacket was going to be made from scratch anyway and z custom quoted me around 950 and would do whatever i wanted. Im just saying vanson is not your only option for a real bike jacket in that price range with a custom fit. Bates and z both use domestic 1.3mm leather and are worn by racers too. I just figured at my price point for vanson custom i was close enough to just say go big or go home and go with the langlitz.

Yeah, that's true. I've never handled Bates but I hear only good things about them and they've been in the pro league for decades so I've zero doubt they're not at the same level as Vanson. Fox Creek makes very good stuff as well and everyone who's had their jacket swears by them. Classic Schott Perfecto (618, 118, etc.) is a perfectly competitive motorcycle jacket as well in my book and Langlitz doesn't need any introduction of course.

Bjorn240

One of the Regulars
I'm an idiot. Started looking more carefully, and a Vanson CHP 2 looks like what I am looking for - removable belt, no epaulettes, etc. I'd prefer brass snaps and no side lacing, but other than that a CHP 2 seems to be the jacket I need... Imagine that a jacket made for motorcycling might be the motorcycle jacket I've been looking for!

01flhr

One of the Regulars
There you go! Glad we could all help. If you need it im pretty sure theyll alter arm or body length at no extra charge if you have to have it made in your size. You havent indicated a size but they say that most items above a 48 are made to order. Unfortunately for me im right on that border and they never have what i want so thats how i have answers to the questions i do.

2wheelgrplr

A-List Customer
Of course, Langlitz is always an option for a genuine old-school leather motorcycle jacket. I don't have one yet, thus my gushing over Vanson, plus the fact OP was discussing Vanson. Last year my we were in the US and my wife wanted to visit Crater Lake - I was excited just to get to Portland so I could visit the Langlitz store in person. Sadly, it was Fall and it had started snowing up in the Cascades so our trip got scrapped. Lately, I find myself spending lots of free time perusing pics on the Japanese fan site http://www.clublanglitz.com and thinking about variations of the Cascade or the Timberline ...

@Bjorn240 Will look forward to your pics and review of the CHP2!

I'm an idiot. Started looking more carefully, and a Vanson CHP 2 looks like what I am looking for - removable belt, no epaulettes, etc. I'd prefer brass snaps and no side lacing, but other than that a CHP 2 seems to be the jacket I need... Imagine that a jacket made for motorcycling might be the motorcycle jacket I've been looking for!

I was going to say that the CHP2 fits most of your bill. The Force is also a very clean cross-zip, maybe too clean for you with the black hardware. Removable belt but it does have epaulettes. To me, nothing fits or feels better on a bike than a Vanson. I will post my pearl white and blacked out Road King, affectionately called "Pimpstick", at some point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass